Hugh Drewhurst Wynne d.1965 Denbigshire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Darran and welcome to the forum

It has been some time since Barbara was on site so I have sent her a PM (private message) to let her know you have responded to her thread
    Barbara

Comment

thanks
      Originally posted by Darran View Post
      Hi Barbara, It's been 4 years since your original post, i don't know how far you've got with your research. Old Hugh as he was known was born 2nd Nov 1903 in one of the Mount Pleasant cottages (as were most of the Wynnes) He married Emma in St Melyds on 3rd March 1934 and died 15th March 1965 at 6 Mount Pleasant and was buried at St Melyds on the 19th. Emma died at the Royal Alexandra Hospital in Rhyl on the 9th June 1970 and buried in St Melyds on the 12th. Hugh's dad was William son of Price, son of Robert son of David and Elizabeth.
      ThanksDarrenthanks

Comment

Dear Barbara
        Thank you

Comment

Dear Darren
          How did you find out all of that, that is just fantastic love to go back as much as possible on both sides but i am not a member would love to know more about my grannie Emma Wynne (edwards) thanks for your help.xxx

Comment

Thanks for doing that Barbara D

Originally posted by Barbara Dodds View Post
            Hi Darran and welcome to the forum

It has been some time since Barbara was on site so I have sent her a PM (private message) to let her know you have responded to her thread

Comment

Barbara. Your granddad Hugh and my gt granddad Price were brothers. I started nearly 30 years ago when my late gt aunt Muriel showed me some certificates. Her's and your dad's cousin Ronnie (son of another brother David) who died in 2013 was also addicted to the Wynne family history. The furthest I can get back is to a Robert Wynne born Christmas Eve 1809 in Rhydgaled at the back of Denbigh whose parents were David Wynne, a labourer and Elizabeth Hughes. Unfortunately I can find anything about them. Robert married a Mary Dryhurst who's family can be traced to 1703 in Llansannan and are part of the 'Dryhursts of Denbigh' who go back to at least 1354.

Comment

Wynne family tree

Barbara. Your granddad Hugh and my gt granddad Price were brothers. I started nearly 30 years ago when my late gt aunt Muriel showed me some certificates. Her's and your dad's cousin Ronnie (son of another brother David) who died in 2013 was also addicted to the Wynne family history. The furthest I can get back is to a Robert Wynne born Christmas Eve 1809 in Rhydgaled at the back of Denbigh whose parents were David Wynne, a labourer and Elizabeth Hughes. Unfortunately I can find anything about them. Robert married a Mary Dryhurst who's family can be traced to 1703 in Llansannan and are part of the 'Dryhursts of Denbigh' who go back to at least 1354.
                DearDarran
                Thats fantastic thank you sadly my father Hugh Drewhurst passed away in 2015, and sadly the cottage was sold last year not in the family any more, the cottage used to be 5/6 mount pleasant,my dad was born there and my grandparents made it in to one cottage, i spent my happy times there,uncle price lived with my dad for a few years when my parents divorced,i remember him well nice manx where do you live? so you are my cousin?i remember Muriel as well did she live at the top of roundwood in Meliden.Its fantastic what you can find out on these sites, and a lot of people have helped me find lots out. Barbara

Comment

Yes I heard about 'Young Hugh' passing away, That just leaves your brother with the family name. Drewhurst we think derives phonetically from Dryhurst. Hugh Drewhurst Wynne was first used in 1874; he was a brother of William and died in the Boer War in Krugerdorp, South Africa of Dysentery. Its likely William named your grandfather in his memory 3 years later.

Muriel sadley passed away mid November aged 93. Mount Pleasant was full of Wynnes at one time. I think numbers 1 and 2 were knocked into one to accommodate them all. The Williams were the first to live there from our family. The 1871 census is the first to mention Mount Pleasant (although Evan Williams lived in Pierce Row as a child in '51) They lived at number 10 MP. Their elder daughter Mary Annie married William Wynne and the younger daughter Jane married Albert Woodfine (another familiar Meliden family). The Williams family suffered a series of losses in 1878, Evan's mother Mary died in March, his 2 year old son Evan died in September, his father Robert died mid October and on a cold winters day down the lead mine on 21st December Evan blew himself up and injured his 15 year old son David whilst softening dynamite over a candle during a lunch break. Evan's wife Jane buried him on Christmas Eve. (I have a newspaper cutting, but don't know how to attach it) The mines closed down 5 years later due to loosing money and Jane went on to remarry a Joseph Brookes in 1883. Joseph died in 1908. The 1911 census shows Jane living with Price and his brother Evan in what I assume is one of the MP cottages. Jane appears to own a grocer business with Evan working for her and Price is self employed as a milk dealer. Well hopefully, that hasn't confused you too much.

I used to live at the bottom of the park, but moved to sunny Rhyl in the '80's

Comment

Yes I heard about 'Young Hugh' passing away, That just leaves your brother with the family name. Drewhurst we think derives phonetically from Dryhurst. Hugh Drewhurst Wynne was first used in 1874; he was a brother of William and died in the Boer War in Krugerdorp, South Africa of Dysentery. Its likely William named your grandfather in his memory 3 years later.

Muriel sadley passed away mid November aged 93. Mount Pleasant was full of Wynnes at one time. I think numbers 1 and 2 were knocked into one to accommodate them all. The Williams were the first to live there from our family. The 1871 census is the first to mention Mount Pleasant (although Evan Williams lived in Pierce Row as a child in '51) They lived at number 10 MP. Their elder daughter Mary Annie married William Wynne and the younger daughter Jane married Albert Woodfine (another familiar Meliden family). The Williams family suffered a series of losses in 1878, Evan's mother Mary died in March, his 2 year old son Evan died in September, his father Robert died mid October and on a cold winters day down the lead mine on 21st December Evan blew himself up and injured his 15 year old son David whilst softening dynamite over a candle during a lunch break. Evan's wife Jane buried him on Christmas Eve. (I have a newspaper cutting, but don't know how to attach it) The mines closed down 5 years later due to loosing money and Jane went on to remarry a Joseph Brookes in 1883. Joseph died in 1908. The 1911 census shows Jane living with Price and his brother Evan in what I assume is one of the MP cottages. Jane appears to own a grocer business with Evan working for her and Price is self employed as a milk dealer. Well hopefully, that hasn't confused you too much.

I used to live at the bottom of the park, but moved to sunny Rhyl in the '80's
                    Dea rDarran.
                    Gosh thanks so much for all that information just fantastic what you have found out about the Wynne family,i didnt know any of that ,did you used to have the electrical shop in Meliden?

Comment

My uncle had the shop, but the name refers to the previous owners and as no relation

Comment

Barbara, Do you remember your nan having a brother and sister? I've found the 1911 census showing Lilian Annie EDWARDS b 1907 and Benjamin Marsh EDWARDS b 1909. Parents Albert Benjamin Edwards and Matilda Annie.

Comment

Yes i do i remember them so well Albert was a gas lighter .i have sent you PM with my email address

Comment

Originally posted by barbara56 View Post
                            Hello i am trying to find out as much as i can about my grandad and his wife Emma Kathleen where is she from and how far back i can go with my grandad i know his dad was William and his wife was called Mary but i would love to know more please.
                            Hi Barbara
                            I am not able to give you any additional information on the Hugh Drewhurst Wynne you ask about, but I just wanted to say hi as we have the same ancestor in Robert Wynne who was my great great great grandfather. I am a direct descendant of Robert's son Walter Dryhurst Wynne. Walter's daughter Louisa Jane Wynne was my great grandmother and she lived in Rhyl. After she married our line lost the Wynne surname. I only found about the Wynne family from Meliden yesterday when researching my own Wynne line and I came across this forum post in a search. I am looking for any information about the Wynne family so if you have any information and / or photographs I would love to see them. I have traced my own line back to Denbigh and to David Wynne and Elizabeth Hughes, but have not managed to go any further back. I believe that David Wynne was born around 1785.

Comment

Barbara hasn't been on for quite a while Sarah. You might be better to try sending her a Private Message. If you click on her name you will see the Private Message sign come up. If she still has the same e-mail address and has her setting to receive notifications she will see that you are trying to contact her.
                              Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by SarahTony2002 View Post
                                Hi Barbara
                                I am not able to give you any additional information on the Hugh Drewhurst Wynne you ask about, but I just wanted to say hi as we have the same ancestor in Robert Wynne who was my great great great grandfather. I am a direct descendant of Robert's son Walter Dryhurst Wynne. Walter's daughter Louisa Jane Wynne was my great grandmother and she lived in Rhyl. After she married our line lost the Wynne surname. I only found about the Wynne family from Meliden yesterday when researching my own Wynne line and I came across this forum post in a search. I am looking for any information about the Wynne family so if you have any information and / or photographs I would love to see them. I have traced my own line back to Denbigh and to David Wynne and Elizabeth Hughes, but have not managed to go any further back. I believe that David Wynne was born around 1785.

Hi,
                                I have been searching for more about David and Elizabeth for over 25 years to no avail; not even a marriage. David was a labourer in Rhydgaled when his son Robert was baptised on New Years Eve 1809. Also Robert has no credible siblings which I have been able to trace. I am descended from Walter Dryhust's brother Price. Walter Dryhurst Wynne was a colourful character, regularly in court for drunkenness and cruelty to his wife and children.

Comment

wYNNE

Originally posted by SarahTony2002 View Post
                                  Hi Barbara
                                  Dear Sarah
                                  Thanks for your message its great to know about the Wynne family as you can see all the information i have is on this board,but if you look at member Darren he will be able to give you more details about what you are looking for.

Comment

Originally posted by barbara56 View Post
                                    Dear Sarah
                                    Thanks for your message its great to know about the Wynne family as you can see all the information i have is on this board,but if you look at member Darren he will be able to give you more details about what you are looking for.
                                    Hi Barbara - thank you for getting back to me. I have sent Darran a private message as he seems to have so much more information than I do. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
                                    X