Hugh Drewhurst Wynne d.1965 Denbigshire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hugh Drewhurst Wynne d.1965 Denbigshire

Hello i am trying to find out as much as i can about my grandad and his wife Emma Kathleen where is she from and how far back i can go with my grandad i know his dad was William and his wife was called Mary but i would love to know more please.

Looking at the death registration for Hugh, it states he was born c1904.

There is a birth registration on freeBMD for Hugh Drewhurst Wynne,
    date of registration 1903 4th quarter =
    registration district St Asaph DenbighshireVolume: 11b
    Page: 308

Presume he should show on the 1911 census with his parents - will have a look for you.
    Elaine

Comment

oops - forgot this

marriage registration:
      Emma K Edwards / Hugh D Wynne
      Date of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar 1934
      Registration district - St Asaph
      Volume Number 11b
      Page Number 422

You really need this marriage certificate as it will confirm the name of the father for both Emma and Hugh.
      Elaine

Comment

Hugh D Wynne death is registered at St Asaph, Denbighshire Jan-Mar 1965, aged 61 (so born about 1903/4). From that info he can be found in 1911 - with parents William & Mary in Melidan, Flintshire.

Assuming he is the right person , his father appears to have been born in Corwen, Merionithshire about 1866.

My wife has Wynne ancestry from Corwen - it is quite a common name in N Wales, so can be difficult to research, but take one generation at a time and get copies of the necessary birth/marriage certificates and it can be done - we may even have a connection.
        Last edited by AntonyM; 17-09-12, 15:32.
        Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
        Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

The 1911 census for Hugh shows him living with parents William and Mary.

Household details:
          William Wynne age 45 - occ. builders labourer
          Mary Wynne age 46
          Daniel Wynne age 13
          Jennie Wynne age 11
          Hugh D Wynne age 7
          Annie Wynne age 5

address: Leleatul Meliden

William is shown as being born in Corwen, the rest of the family shows place of birth as Meliden, Flintshire.

The census shows that William & Mary have been married for 21 years, have had 10 children born alive with 6 still living at the time of the census.
          Elaine

Comment

Thanks to every one, i have looked at 1911 cencus i would love to find out more about Emma Kathlen Edwards.

Comment

Do you know when and where Emma was born - or when she died?
              Elaine

Comment

i dont know wher she was born? but she died in 1970 9th june in Denbigshire but back in 1970 it was known as Clwyd

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                Do you know when and where Emma was born - or when she died?

Comment

So this looks as if it could be her death registration ..

Emma Kathleen Wynne
                  Birth Date: 10 Nov 1904
                  Date of death Registration: Apr-May-Jun 1970
                  Registration district: St Asaph Denbighshire
                  Volume: 8a
                  Page: 2764
                  Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by barbara56 View Post
                    Thanks to every one, i have looked at 1911 cencus i would love to find out more about Emma Kathlen Edwards.
                    My wife's family has Edwards in it as well - but then you will find that around Corwen nearly everyone is Edwards or Wynne (or Jones) !
                    Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
                    Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Barbara - do you have a subscription to Ancestry?
                      I can see a family tree on there which shows that Emma Kathleen EDWARDS was born in Toxteth Park, Liverpool.

There is no source for this information - if you have a subscription you could contact the submitter and ask where the info comes from.
                      What you really need is a copy of the marriage certificate to Hugh, which according to the tree on Ancestry was on 3 March 1934 at St Melyds, Meliden.
                      Elaine

Comment

yes thats my nana maiden name edwards.thanks Elaine

Comment

no i dont have a subscription to Ancestry

Comment

The only real way to be sure we have the right person is to get the marriage certificate for Emma & Hugh.

However, the death registration gives her date of birth as 10 November 1904, which coincides very nicely with this baptism

Liverpool, Lancashire, England, Baptisms, source: www.ancestry.co.uk
                            Emma Kathleen Edwards
                            Birth Date - 10 Nov 1904
                            Baptism Date - 8 Jan 1905
                            Parish - Toxteth St Philemon
                            Name of father - Bertran Edwards
                            Name of mother - Matilda Annie Edwards
                            Elaine

Comment

Keep these two sites on your list:

They could be useful!

Christine
                              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I can see a family tree on there which shows that Emma Kathleen EDWARDS was born in Toxteth Park, Liverpool.
                                That tallies with the LancsBMD birth reg record for Emma K EDWARDS in 1904.

Christine
                                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Strangely on the 1911 census her parents appears to be Albert Benjamin Edwards (not Bertran/Bertram) and Matilda Annie (nee Marsh) married Dec 1903 Toxteth Park 8b 398. I know you haven't got Ancestry Barbara but this may help others looking.

Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 17-09-12, 19:55.
                                  Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

thank you so much for your help

Comment

Barbara, there is probably a lot more that could be found for you, and I am sure some of the members would be happy to do it, but it really is so much more fun finding it for yourself!
                                      Have you thought about taking out a subscription to a site such as Ancestry - or even just trying their 14 day free trial to see what you can find.
                                      It really is a great hobby and there are lots of people here happy to help you find your way around in the early stages.
                                      Elaine

Comment

Hi Barbara, It's been 4 years since your original post, i don't know how far you've got with your research. Old Hugh as he was known was born 2nd Nov 1903 in one of the Mount Pleasant cottages (as were most of the Wynnes) He married Emma in St Melyds on 3rd March 1934 and died 15th March 1965 at 6 Mount Pleasant and was buried at St Melyds on the 19th. Emma died at the Royal Alexandra Hospital in Rhyl on the 9th June 1970 and buried in St Melyds on the 12th. Hugh's dad was William son of Price, son of Robert son of David and Elizabeth.

Comment

Working...
                                        X