Trying to find a relative from thornton in yorkshire /lancashire, uk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to find a relative from thornton in yorkshire /lancashire, uk

I have a relative who is shown on the Carlisle Census records as originating in Thornton. Sometimes the THORNTON is shown as Lancashire, and sometimes as Yorkshire.
    Having looked on a map there seems to be several THORNTON's around that part of the country.
    Are there any researchers in the Lancashire area that could perhaps offer some help? :O)
    Thanks in anticipation! ;)

Aitch

Do you have your relative on more than one census and what is his name please.

OC

Comment

Hello OC,
      Thanks for your quick reply.
      My relative is called THOMAS CLARK who must have moved to Cumberland before 1841, since he appears on the Census lists in Cumb after that.
      On the 1841 census he is shown as age 25 (no birthplace listed)
      On the 1851 he is shown as age 35 and from Yorkshire Thornton.
      On the 1861 he is shown as age 44 and from Lancaster
      On the 1871 he is shown as age 56 and from Yorkshire Thornton.
      On the 1881 he is shown as age 65 THOMAS CLARKE (note an "E" has been added to Clark) and from Lancashire
      on The 1891 he is shown as age 75 and from Lancashire Lancaster

Any help you can give in locating a Thomas would be greatly appreciated, as currently I'm stuck!

Many thanks
      Aitch

Comment

there's a thornton le beans in yorks, near northallerton. but if your guy is saying lancs or yorks, either the enumerator guesses each time, or it is a border town....

Comment

I have ancestors who also stated their birth place as Thornton, Yorkshire in 1851. They had been born and were living in Earby which is enumerated in the civil parish of Thornton-in-Craven, West Yorkshire, which is close to the county border with Lancashire.

The IGI has births and marriages for Thornton-in-Craven, but I don't see your Thomas CLARK amongst them.

The area had a strong Baptist following and my lot were baptised all over the place, eg. Bridge Chapel in Barnoldswick, Baptist Chapel in Earby as well as the CofE church in Thornton-in-Craven.

Koromo

Comment

Thomas clark - thornton - yorkshire or lancashire?

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
            there's a thornton le beans in yorks, near northallerton. but if your guy is saying lancs or yorks, either the enumerator guesses each time, or it is a border town....
            I have always wondered if my Thomas Clark lived on the border between Yorkshire and Lancashire, and hence there was some confusion which County he belonged to?

Comment

Originally posted by Koromo View Post
              I have ancestors who also stated their birth place as Thornton, Yorkshire in 1851. They had been born and were living in Earby which is enumerated in the civil parish of Thornton-in-Craven, West Yorkshire, which is close to the county border with Lancashire.

The IGI has births and marriages for Thornton-in-Craven, but I don't see your Thomas CLARK amongst them.

The area had a strong Baptist following and my lot were baptised all over the place, eg. Bridge Chapel in Barnoldswick, Baptist Chapel in Earby as well as the CofE church in Thornton-in-Craven.

Koromo
              I think my Thomas Clark must have been born around 1815/1816 judging by the ages given on the Census details which were all done in the Cumberland area from 1841 onwards.
              I believe he got married in 1839 to Ann Routledge from Farlam, nr Brampton, Cumberland. I think she was born on, or around 13 Feb 1814.

Comment

does this mean you have a father for thomas to try and narrow down a baptism?

Comment

Unfortunately, I only know that thomas Clark came from THORNTON in either yorkshire or lancashire.
                  I know who his son was, and the rest of the family after that, since Thomas moved to Cumberland.
                  However, it is Thomas's connection to Thornton I am stuck on

Comment

There is a Thornton in the area now known as Merseyside but it is part of Sefton close to Crosby http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thornton,_Merseyside

Or you could look up the Parishes in GENUKI

Edna

Comment

Thornton places in GENUKI

Edna

Comment

Thanks Edna,

Yet another Thornton for me to consider. Thomas Clark was periodically shown on the Census records taken in Cumberland after he re-located as coming from Thornton Yorkshire, or Thornton, Lancashire, and even Lancashire Lancaster whatever that means?

Comment

The Thornton I have given you was the Lancashire one before boundary changes took most of this part of Lancashire into Merseyside.

Edna

Comment

the marriage cert may help, it will father's details which could narrow down the right thornton, and the witnesses may be from the clarke side helping out too.

Comment

Originally posted by Aitch View Post
                              Thanks Edna,

Yet another Thornton for me to consider. Thomas Clark was periodically shown on the Census records taken in Cumberland after he re-located as coming from Thornton Yorkshire, or Thornton, Lancashire, and even Lancashire Lancaster whatever that means?
                              Just in case it is Lancaster,Lancashire .... Thomas Clark born 14th October 1815 / baptised 14th October 1815 at St Mary ,Lancaster,Lancashire - parents
                              Thomas Clark and Margaret
                              abode Lancaster
                              occupation - shoemaker
                              was Thomas jnr a shoemaker ?...
                              allan
                              ADDED....Thornton-Clevelys is quite close to Lancaster - but quite a distance from Yorkshire ...are you SURE your census record stating born Lancaster is the same Thomas as all your other census returns....because that Lancaster born Thomas looks to be the one I found b 1815 ???...at least a possible
                              Last edited by garstonite; 30-08-12, 09:19.
                              Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
                              oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
                              adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
                              merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
                              coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

I have looked at the census that Aitch has and I believe he has the same man each time Allan. Apart from 1841 when he was a labourer he was in agriculture i.e. Ag Lab and Husband Manager Agriculture. I think that Aitch probably has the right marriage too as I hadn't seen his post until I searched and it all fit. The birth of one of the children - George perhaps (Sept 1839 Brampton ref 25 39) would confirm the mother and if she is Ann Routledge (Ann with an e Anne on free BMD and Family search)the marriage cert would give you his fathers name and occupation (hopefully), which may confirm the birth that Allan found.
                                Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

This is an interesting development Allan,
                                  Many thanks for coming up with the details for me.
                                  The problem I have got is that after Thomas Clark left Thornton, he appears to have gone to Cumberland, and got married.
                                  I have looked through various census records for each 10 year period as mentioned earlier on in this post, and all appear to shown him as having come from Thornton, Yorkshire, or sometimes Thornton Lancashire, and once Lancashire, Lancaster.
                                  Therefore what you have "dug-up" looks interesting.
                                  From recollection his parents were not shown on his marriage cert, which leaves me with little to go on. I'll have another look just in case, but I don't think the father was shown!

Comment

Thank you to you also Chrissie,
                                    Any little snippets are helpful, if only to clarify my thoughts.
                                    I hope I might find something to link up Allan's find with my Thomas Clark, although finding that 'vital' link has proved elusive for some time now.
                                    Best wishes

Comment

I have just found another batch of relatives from Thornton (near Fleetwood), Lancashire, England, so I assume that the details you have given me above for Thomas Clark would fit i.e. the same place?

Comment

It is a possible - but I wouldn`t like to say a definite..........allan
                                        Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
                                        oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
                                        adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
                                        merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
                                        coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

Working...
                                        X