No announcement yet.

Joseph Charles Fricker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good morning, I stumbled upon this thread yesterday and spent most of the night reading from 1 through 48 pages reading the stories and information. I am so sorry for Zoomer to have the struggle on behalf of her grandfather William. There is a great sadness to have worked over the years to find the depth of mis information given by people to protect themselves. I am a granddaughter of Harry Walter Fricker, brother to Joseph Charles Fricker. I have been searching for info for several years about Harry and the Fricker family. Not much was shared during his life. He was a very quiet man who kept himself to himself, I am told. I am very pleased to have found this site, as it explains a lot that I have been myself puzzling about. You are kind to share your information , as it helps a lot of us who know only small bits about our family roots. I hope to chat with others who would like to share information both ways. kindest regards. s

Comment

• Hello SL and welcome to the forum. You must be a remote relation of mine then, as Harry's great Grandparents through his mother (I think they would be your 3x great Grandparents) were my 4x Great-grandparents - we are 4th cousins once removed if I have calculated correctly. Nice to meet a new relation! I have a bit more information on the Jones side of the family if you are interested.
      Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

• Thank you for the kind welcome and update. I believe you are quite correct, as I have been working on the Ancestry site when i found this link through google. Harry and Evelyn made a life in Ontario, Canada with their children. I was most intrigued about the William story, as I surmised very quickly that he was a love child, but not knowing any background. I have just begun to explore the Jones connection and so would be thrilled to learn more from you at your convenience. So many of my recent relatives are now gone, so I find it wonderful to chat with someone with a common ancestor. I fear the family is dying out over here with few not only on the Fricker side but lack of children to carry on into the future. I began this to find out about them and where they came from and how they got here. Already someone has indicated Joseph, Isabella and William came on the Tunisian, which I had not been able to discover alone. The posts have been so helpful and informative and I very much appreciate everyone's sharing of information and insight. kindest s.

Comment

• Originally posted by SL Fricker View Post
          Good morning, I stumbled upon this thread yesterday and spent most of the night reading from 1 through 48 pages reading the stories and information. I am so sorry for Zoomer to have the struggle on behalf of her grandfather William. There is a great sadness to have worked over the years to find the depth of mis information given by people to protect themselves. I am a granddaughter of Harry Walter Fricker, brother to Joseph Charles Fricker. I have been searching for info for several years about Harry and the Fricker family. Not much was shared during his life. He was a very quiet man who kept himself to himself, I am told. I am very pleased to have found this site, as it explains a lot that I have been myself puzzling about. You are kind to share your information , as it helps a lot of us who know only small bits about our family roots. I hope to chat with others who would like to share information both ways. kindest regards. s
          Hello SL Fricker,
          Yes, it has taken me decades to be able to separate the facts from fiction in the case of my grandfather, William Fricker, who was the biological son of Telford Charles FIELD, a yacht builder & Jessie COOPER, the daughter of a Southampton solicitor. Both parents came from Hampshire, UK. The break came when I discovered through DNA testing that my grandfather had fathered a previously unknown daughter. The half-cousin and I were both matches to a biological grandchild of Telford Charles FIELD. The same was able to determine that we also have SAUNDERS ancestry on William's mother's line, and later learned that Jessie COOPER had the right SAUNDERS ancestry. This mystery is soved, as far as I am concerned, and now I wish to try to solve another family mystery because one of my great grandfathers has no death certificate. The name of his biological father is also unknown. Previously Old Crone had figured out that Jessie COOPER was probably the mother based on social connections, but I needed DNA proof to be sure. There also was another theory passed down in the family that I never disclosed that had first to be proven false.

William FRICKER had no known birth certificate. He may have been registered and hopefully baptized under a different first name with COOPER as a last name. The foster mother (nurse mother in the 1901 census) Isabel NEWMAN was married to a man named William MUMFORD (before she left him and sailed to Canada with Joseph FRICKER) and I suspect, but cannot prove, that the name William was chosen for him for that reason. There is no one named William who was close to Jessie COOPER, though she had a distant ancestor named William COOPER.

I can send further information regarding what I know about Joseph FRICKER which is not very much. He was nominally at least a member of St. Paul's Anglican church in Mt. Forest. I think he was a grocer but I don't know if he owned his own business eventually. This town is the highest one in southern Ontario. It is was here that the famous born in Ontario evangelist, Aimme Semple MacPherson, got her start. In fact, my grandfather, who was gifted musicaly, played the piano at her early meetings when he was 17, or played the organ later at a Toronto meeting after the war. He was never, to our knowledge, a convert (having remained an Anglican all his life). A popular hymn at the time which he played was called Almost Persuaded. But I don't know for sure if he was still living in Mt. Forest when he was 17 because he joined the Royal Canadian Expeditionary Force when he was 16 having claimed to have been born in 1897 insteadof 1898. As far as I can tell Aimme Semple MacPherson may have had one or two meetings later in Toronto at the time my grandfather was there selling organs. He was quite gifted. He may or may not have met Aimee in Mt. Forest, she soon after moved to California where she established her megachurch. There was a movie made about her.

It is difficult for me to get more precise information from my family. I believe you have been in touch with someone. You may contact me privately if you wish, SL. I could send you a link to an old letter with some info about your relative. He's not biologically related to me, but I know a few things about him. He and Isabel Newman were not legally married and she never divorced William MUMFORD. In the ways that matter most I believe they were good parents to William. Isabel seemed to have given him some truthful information mixed up with non-truthful info. I suspect she was afraid he would want to stay in the UK after WWI ended and would have wanted to discourage this. She was deeply attached to him. There is a story about her going after a recruiting officer with an umbrella when William joined up for WWII and she was yelling, ''He's only 16!'' so it sounds like she was quite a character. We have no colourful stories about Joseph FRICKER, just the bare facts related to his employment. Her standard of living improved a lot between Cowes, IOW and Old Netley, Hants, UK, and a more comfortable middle class life in Mt. Forest. I thnk she had famly there as well as someone else on the forum has mentioned. I hope this answers some of your questions. All the best in your searching.
          Amelia

My avatar is my grandfather William as a baby. His origins are shrouded in mystery.....

Comment

• Hello, I am a granddaughter of Harry (Henry) Walter Fricker, younger brother to Joseph Charles who lived in Mount Forest and is buried there with Isabella Newman. I had not realized that this site existed till a nice person introduced me to this particular thread. Harry came in 1911 to Ellis Island and on to Canada. He boarded with Joseph and Isabella for a time before he married, setting up house in Springfield, On (near Aylmer) until his death in 1950. He worked for the Carnation Cannery in Aylmer and had 5 children. Violet, Leona, June, Carman and Pansy. Sadly everyone has passed on, and there are few other relatives left to consult. I have a picture of Joseph and Isabella's grave marker and not sure how to attach it to this post. Please be patient with me, I have arthritis and my hands are not great! Would love to hear more from others, I don't have all the answers but have been stitching together fragments of their lives in my searches. Kindest regards. SL Fricker

Comment

Working...
            X