Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frederick John Cummings Fenn

What a wonderful name

Frederick John Cummings Fenn married Sarah Randle Jones in 1882 (fred is a commercial traveller)

Sarah is living in Birmingham by herself with her son on 1891 & 1901 but described as married? Can't find Fred at all but he may have been out the country?

Sarah marries her lodger Barrington Colliver in 1905 & they both die in the 1940s.

Problem is I cant find a death for Fred at all in any years or at least none that make sense.

Any help please finding him after his marriage 1882:D

Assuming it is the Frederick John Cummings Fenn born 1860 in Huyton ?

I think you will find him in 1891 (RG12; Piece: 2941; Folio: 34; Page: 2; GSU roll: 6098051.) living with his wife and child in Toxteth RD, Liverpool , but the entry on Ancestry has been mis-transcribed as Feran.

Fredrick J C Feran , age 32 Commerial traveller born Huyton
    Sarah R Feran, age 32, born Herefordshire
    Frederick B Feran , age 6, born Liverpool

After that, there is a death for a Fredrick Fenn , born abt 1859, registered in West Derby, Liverpool Apr-Jun 1900 (vol 8b p260) - that must be worth investigating.
    Last edited by AntonyM; 09-08-12, 11:32.
    Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
    Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Oops sorry, born 1860 Huyton Lancashire (Liverpool?) parents James Fenn & sarah.
      Last edited by Ellen Proctor; 09-08-12, 11:13.

Comment

Sarah is living in Birmingham by herself with her son on 1891

Hi Ellen
        Are you sure this is the right Sarah (above)?
        Have a look at this family in 1891

Moggie

Comment

Oh well done Moggie
          Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Thank you fot that Moggie, I thought I had found Sarah On the 1891 but it must have been just the 1901, brains addled today.

Its def the right Sarah on the 1901 without Fred, her lodger is Barrington Colliver who she marries in 1905.

Cheers X

Comment

I think if it were me I would plump for the Frederick Fenn death (aged 40) in June 1900 - West Derby - 8b 260. There isn't a birth in the area that fits for this Frederick, other than yours. I wonder if he died travelling and was registered by someone who only knew him as Frederick, before Sarah found out?

Comment

Isn't the one that Anthony found (post #2 above) correct then?

(Sorry, I don't have Ancestry to follow all this, lol)

OC

Comment

Ahhhhh, sorry Anthony, Moggie and I must have missed that.

Comment

Oh gosh, I missed Anthony as well, thank you so much for that. It sounds very likely that that is his death in 1900. Perhaps he & Sarah were seperated & didnt find out for a while, she could then assume she was still married in 1901.

Does that sound likely?

Thank you all for your help X

Comment

I've had widowed people recorded as married in census returns - if they were asked are you/have you been married or are you single, then married would be a correct response!

Jay
                      Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Hiya,

Sorry to interrupt this thread, just tracked Moggie down as wanted to wish her HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

OK... carry on & good luck with this search!

Wallaby
                        We should never forget them,
                        Because we would not be here today, but for them.
                        We should be proud, reflect, respect and always remember them.
                        Because we all have them…
                        Them… were our Ancestors.

Comment

A bit of an update to this old thread you may find interesting if anyone has ever "lost" someone. I found the marriage of Frederick Fenns daughter in a news archive, all names etc correct except they say she is the daughter of the late "frederick Johnson"??? obviously didnt want the in laws to know his real name.

After a bit of digging about in news items I find that he went by about 4 different aliases & was convicted of fraud. There is also a classified item from a solicitor asking for any friends or relatives of on "frederick Fenn Ansell" to contact them, which may also be him, right area etc.

Well, I never!

Comment

The wonders of genealogy!
                            Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Ellen Proctor View Post
                              What a wonderful name

Frederick John Cummings Fenn married Sarah Randle Jones in 1882 (fred is a commercial traveller)

Sarah is living in Birmingham by herself with her son on 1891 & 1901 but described as married? Can't find Fred at all but he may have been out the country?

Sarah marries her lodger Barrington Colliver in 1905 & they both die in the 1940s.

Problem is I cant find a death for Fred at all in any years or at least none that make sense.

Any help please finding him after his marriage 1882:D
                              I have a document from Barrington's Brother Carus, indicating he Died 3 Jan 1924

Comment

Working...
                              X