Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Percy Wildish WW1

Hello everyone,

I'm doing a bit of family research on behalf of my aunt. She knows very little about her family, and I've been asked to research her grandfather Percy Wildish especially. I've worked out that Percy was born in Upchurch, Kent in 1888 and died in Gillingham in 1934 (registered Percy Wildish consistently - suggesting no middle names?).

I'm going to order his death cert for my aunt, but there's something else I've been wondering about Percy, and wanted to know if anyone else had any theories -

Percy and his wife Florence had 5 children: 3 sons born in 1915, 1921, 1924; and 2 daughters born in 1929 and 1930.
    What puzzles me is the gap between their first and second children. I wondered if it had something to do with the Great War? If he was off fighting for a long time/working in the forces in some other capacity that might explain it. He could even have been a conscientious objector and in prison I suppose (my own gxgrandfather was)...although that's probably not as likely!

I started looking for any military records but have so far found nothing with my FMP sub. A Percy A. Wildish pops up, but he seems to have died during the war so I'm sure it can't be him.

Anyone got any suggestions or very bright ideas?!

Many thanks,
    Cat.

Who are his parents? When/where did he marry?

Comment

There is a tree on ancestry with him and wife Florence Cullum - is it yours?

Name: Percy Wildish
      Spouse Surname: Cullum
      Date of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec 1914
      Registration district: Medway
      Inferred County: Kent
      Volume Number: 2a
      Page Number: 1662 (

Parents Charles Wildish and Harriett Chambers
      Grandparents George Thomson Wildish and Mary Anne Jarrett
      Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 09-06-12, 18:33.

Comment

hello Heather!

That's not my tree, nope. But those are the parents and grandparents I have yep!

Do you have any theories on the 1915-1921 gap?

Cat

Comment

Is this him - a bricklayer ? in the 1911 census?2 The Pegnals, Beresford Road, Gillingham, Kent Bit of a discrepancy in the birth date you have given?

Charles Wildish 49
          Lily May Wildish 27
          Charles Edward Wildish 24
          Percy Wildish 21
          Arthur Richard Wildish 17
          Walter Wildish 15
          Agnes Mabel Wildish 12
          Lionel Douglas Wildish 10
          Herbert Cecil Wildish

The name is surprisingly common in Kent and south london/surrey :( I can see two Percy Wildish records for WW1. As you say, one died in 1917. But the other gives place of birth as surrey.

Re the births - it may be he was working elsewhere, but it also may be that there were infant deaths between? You could look on freebmd, entering the surname Wildish only, the mothers name Cullum, and the likely area of birth and see what births come up?
          Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 09-06-12, 18:46.

Comment

Yep that's the 1911 census I found for him too!

cat.

Comment

Re the births - it may be he was working elsewhere, but it also may be that there were infant deaths between? You could look on freebmd, entering the surname Wildish only, the mothers name Cullum, and the likely area of birth and see what births come up?

Comment

Good idea Heather! Perhaps you're right about the working elsewhere..?

Have just had a look and can't see any likely infant deaths between 1915 and 1921.... hmm!

cat

Comment

There is also a 5 year gap between the youngest son and the elder daughter. Maybe Percy was working away or maybe there were infant deaths. Where did you get the 3 sons & 2 daughters births from?
                  My avatar is my Great Grandmother Emma Gumbert

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

My aunt remembers the names of all her aunts and uncles (although she knows little else) and then i was able to confirm them all on the birth registers at findmypast!

The only reason I was wondering about war records is two of my gx grandfathers fought in WWI, but neither appear on the fmp war records... so although I couldn't find Percy on there I didn't want to assume he didn't fight. Is Ancestry a better place for war records? I don't have a sub for there.

Or, perhaps I'm just theorising too much and he was simply working away like you say!?

Cat.

Comment

I think FMP Army records only go up to 1915 (but great for early records) and Ancestry is better for WW1 - however there are lots and lots of lost records.
                      I have never found my grandad's records and I know he was in active service in France in WW1
                      herky
                      Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

WW1 Army records are only on Ancestry.

There's a Percy Wildish, born 11/8/1888 in Sittingbourne on the documentsonline website who was in the Royal Navy. You can download the record for £3-50

The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
                        Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

Ann,

That is absolutely fantastic! Thank you so much, I think you've found the gold at the end of the rainbow there! Have just purchased that record (quite a bargain for all that info it gives) - and it must be our Percy. Right birthdate, place, and a bricklayer too, spot on! It looks like he was serving in the Navy from 1916 - 1919, which would certainly explain the lack of children inbetween.

Thank you very much everyone, and Ann especially! My aunt will be thrilled, she never knew her granddad at all and so to have all that info (especially physical characteristics!) will be wonderful for her.

Thanks again

Cat.

Comment

Good news! Pleased it's the right man.
                            The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
                            Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

A lovely result

Comment

Hello,
                                I have stumbled across this post when researching my tree. Not sure if you are still around but Percy was my great grandad, my grandad was the 1921 child. The reason that there was a gap (although I didn't know aboyt the later 2 children, so that's interesting) Percy was a stoker in the Navy and worked on the ships so he was off shore for months and lengthy times - probably not 4 years but with the war you never know. I have a ship record somewhere.... he died at 34 mainly from side affects of the job. Hope that helps if this reaches you

Comment

Working...
                                X