No announcement yet.

Heath Family, Birmingham

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think I have found William Heath with his wife Sarah on the 1851 census, they are both lodgers at Court 3, No. 2 (looks like Brent Street) in the district of St. Bartholomew, Birmingham. The head of the houshold is Ingram Hall aged 71.

Comment

In 1871 I have Joseph Heath b1825 (William's eldest brother) living with his wife and two children Elizabeth and Ellen at 44 Steelhouse Lane which is where William is living in 1861.

I have a query regarding this family, in 1891 I have William Heath living at 23 York Street, with his nephew George Heath (who is Samuel's son) and also there is an Emily Heath aged 23. She is recorded as being William's niece. I don't think she was George's sister, I wonder who she could be?

Comment

Agree with you that it looks like Susan with an h so Susannah on the 1861 census.
        Think it says Caster (iron) for James Heath on the 1891 census, further down the sheet there is the name Caroline and the C looks the same.
        On the 1851 census I have 2 Trent Street?

Have to go again so will look for Emily later

Comment

If anyone has time, I have John Heath on the 1861 census with his brother William and his wife Sarah (mistranscribed as Susanah) They have his wife as Carne Knight . Can anyone have a look and see what they think? I cannot find him yet on later census. Thanks in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by JULES65 View Post
            In 1871 I have Joseph Heath b1825 (William's eldest brother) living with his wife and two children Elizabeth and Ellen at 44 Steelhouse Lane which is where William is living in 1861.

I have a query regarding this family, in 1891 I have William Heath living at 23 York Street, with his nephew George Heath (who is Samuel's son) and also there is an Emily Heath aged 23. She is recorded as being William's niece. I don't think she was George's sister, I wonder who she could be?
            I have found Emily Heath. In 1881 she is living with her father Joseph and sister Elizabeth at 44 Steelhouse Lane, Birmingham. There is no sign of Ellen. I wonder if Ellen on the 1871 census is in fact Emily. Though I have found a birth record for an Ellen Heath and a birth record for Emily Heath.
            Last edited by JULES65; 29-05-12, 23:08.

Comment

Have had a look at the 1861 census and cannot really figure out the name at all. I cannot find a marriage for John Heath and find it strange she is listed as his wife with Knight as a surname.

Again do we know for sure that Ellen or Emily are the daughters of Joseph and Elizabeth. There is a 12 year age gap between Elizabeth junior and Ellen in the 1871 census and a 9 year age gap between Eliz and Emily in the 1881 which of course is not impossible but it is a big gap. You will only know who their parents are if you get their birth certs.

Have you looked at Warwichshire Family History Society to see if anyone is researching the same family as you, or maybe someone who can do parish look ups for you to find Samuel sr's marriage etc? Just a thought because as you said earlier there are a lot of Heaths in Birmingham!!

Comment

I have found a marriage for John Abraham Heath and Jane Knight December quarter 1888 in Birmingham. I would think that maybe the names on the 1861 census could be Jane but I have never seen my John Heath with the middle name of Abraham. Was thinking she could have been recorded on the 1861 census as Knight because they weren't actually married but just living together, though waiting some 27 years to get married seems a bit extreme.

I think that there were actually an Ellen Heath and an Emily Heath because of the two birth records and the discrepancies in the aged gap with Elizabeth. I have actually now seen a copy of Emily's birth certificate and she is the daughter of Joseph Heath and Elizabeth Guein or Guewin or Gwynn.

That,s an interesting idea about the Warwickshire Family History Society - will have to google them.

Thank you so much for all your help. I feel we have made huge leaps with this family. It really is great to be able to sound out ideas with theories with other interested parties. Thank you again.

Comment

You're very welcome.

I was very lucky when I started researching my family to find someone who regularly visited the Records Office in the county where my family came from. Without their invaluable help I could not have proceeded (backwards) past the 1841 census. I am sure you will find such help and I think the Warwickshire FHS might be a good place to start.

Also don't forget to google the names you are researching, it is often surprising what turns up. I found one of my lot on the Old Bailey site.

Happy hunting and good luck!
                  Last edited by Frazzled; 31-05-12, 08:52.

Comment

Hi Jules

Found this site this morning

Hope the link works if not type in Birmingham History Forum, they offer all sorts of look ups and discussions.

Edit - Ooops see you are already a member!
                    Last edited by Frazzled; 31-05-12, 08:53.

Comment

Hello from Australia, I am descended from William Heath b 1813 Birmingham, (transported to NSW 1834) I am trying to find his English family. His DC records Samuel and Mary as his parents. One of my cousins has sent me a family tree for Samuel and Mary Heath m 1809 Edgbaston, and their children Joseph b 1810, Samuel b 1814, William b 1813, Charlotte b 1819, Charles b 1822 and Phebe b 1825. All baptised St Phillips Birmingham. It could be our Heath's, has any one had any luck with this line by blood lineage or DNA ? Thanks for your help ?

Comment

Working...
                      X