william morton death cert 1849

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• william morton death cert 1849

i've got william morton of neate street, bur.21 jan 1849 at st george camberwell. i want to get the death cert, to double check my theory he is mine. but i can't find a death that fits. the only mar qtr 1849 death is for west london, and there is one in lambeth sept qtr. but not one in camberwell? i was hoping there was a death cert. just my luck there isn't one! can anyone suggest a solution, or see a death?

According to the info on FreeBMD - the reg district of West London at that time seems to equate much more to areas that would be considered to be in the City of London today - http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/reg/d...%20london.html

Maybe he died north of the Thames - but was taken "home" to be buried??

Comment

How about the death on Dec quarter 1848. Lambeth V4 P193 on Free BMD. He could have died late that year and buried 1849.

Lesley

Comment

Like Sue I was thinking he could have died in West London maybe in a hospital. On my wanderings round the internet I found www.victorianlondon.org which has a very good section of all the hospitals, where they were and what date they were established

Comment

I'm more with Lesley, I was born in Brixton, Lambeth and Camberwell is in Southwark just down the road. Lambeth and Southwark border each other.

Have you found him on 1841 census?

Linda
          Last edited by Loopy Linda in La La Land; 20-05-12, 09:29.

Comment

I certainly agree with the geography - but even in winter - isn't at least 3 weeks a fair bit of time between death and registration - and burial??

Comment

so dec qtr 1848 may be correct? his brother if i have the right man, died at neate st in 1856, buried in same church, but death was registered in camberwell. the william morton i am after was ch.1817 in st giles, son of stephen and anne. he seems to be with them in bloomsbury in 1841. this is the 1st breakthrough i've had with william....

Comment

I looked up the death of Thomas Wren who is listed above William )Neate Street) and was buried on the same day. He was registered in March quarter in Camberwell. I had just wondered whether there was a delay in burials for some reason - weather etc. But that doesn't seem to be the case

Linda
                Last edited by Loopy Linda in La La Land; 20-05-12, 10:42.

Comment

Hi
                  Where did you find this burial record? Did it not give his age?
                  I agree with SueNSW,s post above surely if he died right at the end of 1848 then 3 weeks before burial does seem a bit much.
                  Moggie

Comment

thanx for that linda, i had not thought to check for the others to see the reg district. so it looks like the death was never registered......was so hoping for an informant, to prove him for sure.

Comment

hi mauderby,

william was ch.1817. his age in 1841 is 25, b.1816. and the burial gives his birth as around 1815. but it was the address on the burial that me think seriously this was him.

Comment

I don't suppose they had post-mortems in those days that would account for the delay did they?
                        Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

A bit of a coincidence 2 men from the same street buried on the same day.
                          Moggie

Comment

I see that it looks as if Stephen and Ann both died in Bloomsbury in the same quarter. June 1844

On Ancestry it says their address was Monmouth Street and Stephen was buried 11 June and Ann was buried 16th June. Poor William burying both parents within a week of each other.

Don't know if anything could be gained by seeing their death certificates ??

Linda
                            Last edited by Loopy Linda in La La Land; 20-05-12, 14:27.

Comment

Don't forget that deaths are supposed to be registered where they occur, which isn't necessarily where they lived!

OC

Comment

i have stephen and anne's deaths. anne died on the 6th jun 1844 and was bur. on the 11th. stephen died on the 11th jun 1844, and was bur. on the 16th. their daughter caroline registered their deaths, and i can't find her in 1841, or after 1844. so i was hoping if i had william's death, a sibling may have registered it.

Comment

Oh I see, I'll keep looking

Just out of interest, what they die of?

Linda
                                  Last edited by Loopy Linda in La La Land; 21-05-12, 08:28.

Comment

both had heart attacks. a romantic notion maybe stephen couldn't cope without anne, and died on the day of her funeral. the only instance in my tree, of a couple dying close together.

Comment

That's sad. It's a mystery about Caroline, looked at marriages and can't really see anything really suitable and without certificates you couldn't be certain anyway and at £10 a time you need to be fairly confident.

There are a couple not in the right area but I suppose she could have moved anywhere!

Linda

Comment

caroline vanishes. she had a sister who went to canada, but not with family apparently. there is an older sister i discovered the other day, mary anne, she also vanishes. brother stephen does too....as does his nephew.....

Comment

Working...
                                        X