Contessoir

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
    I think this document probably relates to FW's father, who was also a seaman:

You can download it for £3.50, but never having downloaded any naval documents myself, I have no idea what information it's likely to contain.

Mary - I downloaded the suggested document & thought you might be interested in a little feedback, others might as well.
    FW Harnett - dob 24/07/1884 - joined Royal Navy 24/07/1902 & served for 12 yrs - occupation Boilerboy - 5ft 3in - complexion Dark - scar left side of face - served on 12 ships - was recovered from desertion Oct.1902 & sent to Chatham? before being sent to HMS Pembroke - was written up for insubordination Sept.03 - left the Navy in1914

How interesting & just a pity that there is not more to read, some of this particular page is missing(bottom right corner) & bits are very difficult to read but lovely to have just the same. Thank you for the pointer Mary.

Comment

How fascinating, and what a pity there isn't more

You can always post here the parts you're having trouble reading; somebody may be able to help. You'll need to upload them to a photosharing site like Photobucket or Flickr first.

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
        (He was born Eolus Victor E Caunter, 1901).

Woodsmoke - thanks for that. So Eileen gave her grandfather's name as that of her father, which is quite usual under the circumstances. The fact that the MC is a copy and not an original, gives lots of scope for mistranscription - was it a Church wedding, please?

I have three different copies of a marriage cert for one of my ancestors. One taken as a photocopy of the church record, one a photocopy from the local RO and one a modern handwritten copy from the GRO. You would hardly know it was the same people marrying because the information is so mangled up - they have each other's fathers listed on the GRO copy, their addresses have gone from South Street to Smith Street (and both addresses exist!). So it would not surprise me in the slightest if somewhere along the line, the Caunter Squire bit got transposed to Frederick's side of the marriage cert.

OC
        OC - Might I ask you how you know Eileen gave her grandfathers name as that of her father? I got confused when I searched for the Naval records of Charles Henry Squire & can only find 1 that matches but he was born 16/02/1901, so I assume this was not her grandfather??

Comment

Charles Henry is the grandfather she was living with in 1911.

Comment

Mary - I am guessing that this info. came from the 1911 Census? ok, thanks.

Comment

Woodsmoke

I have received your pm but will answer on here as it is the same as your post 83 above.

As Mary says, she was living with her grandfather Charles Henry Squires in 1911 and as he presumably brought her up, she gave his name as her father on her marriage certificate. This was quite usual when someone was illegitimate and was embarrassed about it, or didn't actually know who their natural father was.

OC

EDIT - Just to labour the point - your post 60 on this thread gives us the information that Eileen said her father was Charles Henry Squires on her marriage cert - he wasn't her father, he was her grandfather.
              Last edited by Olde Crone Holden; 31-05-12, 18:51. Reason: Clarification

Comment

Originally posted by Woodsmoke View Post
                Mary - I am guessing that this info. came from the 1911 Census? ok, thanks.
                Yes, see post #48.

As I said earlier, you can view the censuses on Ancestry (or FindmyPast, but I prefer Ancestry personally) by getting a 14-day free trial or using it free at your local library.

Comment

Mary/OC - Thank you both & to all the others that have assisted in any way with this thread, it is much appreciated.

Comment

Woodsmoke

Well we are all still here and desperate to help, so don't be afraid of asking more questions!

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
                      How far back have you got with researching the family, Clive? I've been having a look, and the most likely entry I can find in the 1911 census is for Frederick Harnett aged 3, son of Frederick W Harnett, an able seaman in the Royal Navy, and his wife Violet. The best fit for his parents' marriage is between Frederick William Harnett and Jessie Violet Worrell/Worsell. Jessie's parents appear to be John Worsell and Jessie Louisa Canning.

Frederick William Harnett says he was aged 26 and born in Sydenham, Kent. In 1901 he was in the Navy, and in 1891 he was a pauper inmate in the North Surrey District Schools, Penge, with 3 other Harnett children, who may have been his siblings. I haven't found an awful lot online about the school, but I believe it was a residential school designed to teach poor children a trade.

I'm wondering if he or his son, your grandfather (if I have the right family) was embarrassed by this, and invented a posh-sounding name to improve the family's social status. I can't go any further back with the Harnett family, because the children aren't with their parents on any census; you'll need to get a birth certificate for Frederick to go any further.
                      This page came up when I searched the name of my great-grandmother, Jessie Louisa Canning. My father is the son of Jessie youngest child, Doris Ivy, who was born some 23 years after Jessie married John Worsell.

Comment

Welcome to the Forum Andrea,
                        I would normally suggest you send a private message to the poster but rules have changed and you can not send a PM until you have made ten posts on the board.
                        The original poster only ever made 3 posts and 1 blog during their membership of this forum so its unlikely that they will still have the same e mail address to receive a message from FTForum.
                        All I can say is if you require further help with your family history research you can take what you need from this thread and then start up a new thread with your own questions which you will get lots of help here remembering we cant add names or details of living people on the Forum.

I hope that helps if you have further questions just ask

Edna

Comment

Originally posted by Andrea E P View Post
                          This page came up when I searched the name of my great-grandmother, Jessie Louisa Canning. My father is the son of Jessie youngest child, Doris Ivy, who was born some 23 years after Jessie married John Worsell.
                          As you are not able to send a private message to Clive and he hasn't been on this thread for some time I have sent him a private message on your behalf to tell him you have made contact.
                          Fingers crossed he is still using the email address he was using then and will receive the message and reply on here or to you by private message.

Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
                            As you are not able to send a private message to Clive and he hasn't been on this thread for some time I have sent him a private message on your behalf to tell him you have made contact.
                            Fingers crossed he is still using the email address he was using then and will receive the message and reply on here or to you by private message.

Margaret
                            Thank you. Violet is one of the Worsell siblings I have the least information about.

Comment

Clive's brother (username Woodsmoke) made a lot of the posts on this thread, so it might a good idea to contact him too.

Comment

Thanks Mary - I'll do that as well.
                                Margaret

Comment

Working...
                                X