Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Confusion over birth date and parentage.

An update to the whole conundrum.

I finally found the death date for Ellen Clark. Ellen died in 29th April 1914 in Bristol. George was present at the death and is mentioned to be a Mariner Merchant Seaman.

I attempted to find George's birth date via the GRO, but the only record they had was of a George Clark born to a William Clark and Diana Mills in Yate, Gloucestershire. I know these to not be the correct parents as the censuses do not show William becoming a T/Sailor, but if someone could check to confirm this, I'd be grateful.

I'm really stuck as to what to do next.

there are two george clark's born in bristol between 1855-1862:

george henry clark, sep 1860 and george henry clark, sep 1861.

according to freebmd, there were no george clarke's in those dates. so maybe his birth did not reach the GRO, or it was never registered, or he was not born in bristol, and was either told he was or he remembered living there as a child. have you looked up bristol parish registers?

there are bristol records on familysearch, your yates birth is on there as well as this:

george clark ch.24 aug 1862, st phillip and jacob, bristol. parents: william henry and harriett clark.

parents appear to be: william henry clark and harriett lamb (fathers: john clark and samuel lamb) married 10 oct 1841, at st michael the archangel on the mount, bristol.

600.jpg

This is where Capt. George Clark is buried alongside his daughters; Ellen, Ruby and Elsie Clark.

is this him, Canford Cemetary

sorry just done a search and I think this is the other george clark that married florence,
    I will keep seaching
    Last edited by julie1979; 26-07-12 at 08:06. Reason: wrong person

Quote Originally Posted by kylejustin View Post
    there are two george clark's born in bristol between 1855-1862:

george henry clark, sep 1860 and george henry clark, sep 1861.

according to freebmd, there were no george clarke's in those dates. so maybe his birth did not reach the GRO, or it was never registered, or he was not born in bristol, and was either told he was or he remembered living there as a child. have you looked up bristol parish registers?
    I had thought the records had been transcribed onto familysearch. I have to admit that I wouldn't know how to go around to viewing the parish records. What is the procedure to follow exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by kylejustin View Post
    there are bristol records on familysearch, your yates birth is on there as well as this:

george clark ch.24 aug 1862, st phillip and jacob, bristol. parents: william henry and harriett clark.

parents appear to be: william henry clark and harriett lamb (fathers: john clark and samuel lamb) married 10 oct 1841, at st michael the archangel on the mount, bristol.
    Thanks for searching, but this George Clark was born in 1851, unless it has been transcribed incorrectly. I had a look on the censuses, but it seems this William isn't a T/Sailor either.

Quote Originally Posted by julie1979 View Post
    600.jpg

This is where Capt. George Clark is buried alongside his daughters; Ellen, Ruby and Elsie Clark.

is this him, Canford Cemetary

sorry just done a search and I think this is the other george clark that married florence,
    I will keep seaching
    Thank you for searching, Julie, but that picture was the one I took after locating George in Canford. It's strange to think I used to go to that park as a child and never even knew he was buried there.

Quote Originally Posted by julie1979 View Post
    http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...937513&recoff=
    found this death for albert g clark
    I forgot to mention it on the update, but Albert George Clark's death was in 28th Jan 1923, five years before his last child, or so we had thought. It seems Alice got pregnant out of wedlock and it was hidden from the rest of the family to this day.

I was just looking over the censuses of George that I am aware of and came across something I think may be of some use. George has yet to be found on a 1911 census, but his family are all together on the 1911 census that I have found. Albert, George's son, was the person allocated the task of filling out the census form and he has placed down Ellen as aged 49 (born about 1862) and his mother has been married for 29 years, which makes the year of the wedding 1882 although the marriage certificate is dated 28th Oct 1883. Both Ellen and George are placed down aged 23.

I understand that the amount of years put down on a census for the marriage could be a genuine mistake on the behalf of Albert, but the age of his mother could be significant.