More help with Harrop Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More help with Harrop Please

I posted a couple of Days ago about a lilly harrop and her supposed marriage to a william walker, that is now resolved thanks to some help and a fresh pair of eyes.

I am now struggling to find out what happened to lilly from when she was born to when she appeared in Scotland in 1901 and there is no sign of her.

What i know -

Lilly had a sister called Elizabeth A Harrop, she Married a fredrick Pugsley Sloley.

I beleive Lilly was born in 1863 in Lancashire, her faather according to her deatyh certificate in 1934 was Thomas Harrop a commercial traveller and her mother was Annie Harrop nee Brown both deceased.

can anyone help. this part of the family is starting to drive me nuts, i am starting to believe lilly may have been a middle name as i havent been able to find a record of her birth. hope someone can help!

Thanks in advance
    Suzie

And if anyone can find the elusive william "webb" walker her husband prior to 1901 that would be great too. he was born in 1853 in england then appeared in 1901 in scotland his father was george waler a mason as well and sarah webb, again he is prooving very elusive prior to 1901.

Comment

Looking but without success so far.
      herky
      Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Not much help but sister's marriage????? -
        Elizabeth Annie HARROP married Frederick Pugsley SLOLEY, 2 Q 1880, Chorlton, Lancashire
        herky
        Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

I found that as well. Was hoping I could find more about the parents down that route but no joy as yet.

Comment

This isn't helping but I thought I would look for the sister in case they were together.

1891 England

Registration district: Chorlton
            Sub-registration district: Ardwick
            ED, institution, or vessel: 32

Piece: 3169
            Folio: 138
            Page Number: 30
            Household Members:
            Name Age
            Frederic P Sloley 39
            Eliza A Sloley 30
            Constance L Sloley 10
            Eva A Sloley 8
            Hubert J Sloley 4
            Thomas H Sloley 2
            Gladys Sloley 1/12
            Last edited by herky; 21-03-12, 21:09.
            herky

Comment

Sorry - what I meant to say was that sister is listed as b in Manchester - will that help?
              herky

Comment

Tried that too. Is why am beginning to think Lilly may not have been a Lilly :(

Comment

There is also a tree for this family mentioned above but no Lilly.
                  edit oopps - didn't post the census I was looking at - it was 1871 with the ??? sister Elizabeth.
                  Last edited by herky; 21-03-12, 21:33.
                  herky

Comment

The only Lily I found was this one.

Lily Taylor Harrop
                    April Q 1861
                    Ashton Under Lyne, 8d - 419

It is a bit earlier that her age at death though.

bcbrit
                    George, Uren, Toy - Cornwall. Barrows, Blair, Bowyer, Freeth, Green, Manie - London

Comment

Thomas Harrop and Annie Brown married in 1858, so maybe Lilly's birth just wasn't registered - there was no fine for not registering until 1875.

OC

Comment

looked on lancs bmd? or lancs opc? and i was gonna say look for lilly with one l 'lily'.

Comment

Well this looks like a possible Eliza A, born Manchester,with father Thomas (widowed) whose a commission agent in 1871. It looks as though he's a commercial traveller from the way he moves about re the childrens births.
                          Also with them is Anne Elizabeth aged 8 born Birmingham -
                          Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 22-03-12, 11:28.
                          Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

I wonder if Annie the mother died in Chorlton aged 29 in December 1870?

Comment

The same family in 1861 -

Comment

The Annie Elizabeth from that family appears to have been born March 1863 in Birmingham. I wonder if it's Lilly and she didn't like the name Annie?

Comment

This certainly looks more promising than the Harrop family I was looking at in 1871 - interestingly both have Elizabeth A as daughters of roughly the same age.
                                  herky

Comment

1881 Hulme, Manchester - could this be the same family - perhaps Thomas remarried???

Thomas b c 1837, Macclesfield, bookseller
                                    Hannah, wife b 1845
                                    Annie E b c 1863, Macclesfield
                                    Samuel Cooke, nephew b c 1877
                                    Rebbecca Mollinson, b c 1834. aunt
                                    herky

Comment

It could indeed Herky. There are 3 possible marriages from 1871 to 1881 of a Thomas Harrop to a possible Hannah. Hannah Horrocks in March 1871 in Stockport - a Hannah Moore in June 1872 Manchester and a Hannah Ball in Sept 1879 in Ashton.

Comment

Thank you all for your help, you have definately given me lots to look into. Will let you know how i get on.

Suzie

Comment

Working...
                                        X