Cant see for looking - Walker/Irvine family

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cant see for looking - Walker/Irvine family

I may be going nuts, is actually very possible as i have been trying to find a part of the family that just doesnt appear to exist accept on a marriage certificate.

The info i have is Lilly Walker b1899 to William Walker and Lilly Harrop i have asumed up untill this point that she was born in scotland but i cant find them in the 1901 census.

Lilly Walker Married John Irvine in 1926 in Govan Glasgow. From the Marriage certificate her father was confirmed aa William Walker a mason (and he was noted as deceased)

Her Mother Was Lilly Walker Nee Harrop and the witness was sydney Walker.

Please can someone help me untangle this.

I have been unable to identify Lilly Harrop in 1891 or 1881 Scottish Census and i cant find the Family in 1901 or 1911. I may be missing something obvious but i also cant find William Walker or his parents either.

Can anyone help? or point out what is possibly the glaringly obvious to me?

Thanks
    Suzie
    Last edited by smills1979; 19-03-12, 20:33. Reason: date change

Hi Suzie,
    Trying to have a look for you but nothing so far popping up.
    herky
    Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Thanks for looking. It's crazy they just seem to appear from nowhere?

Comment

I think I have found them - very complicated with the mum having children by another father etc
        herky
        Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

I had a few spare SP credits which helped as this one was really annoying me.
          I will give the short version of events and let me know if it is possible.

1901 Scottish census - 102 Cathcart St., Glasgow
          William Webb, head, 1853
          Sydney Webb, son, 1896
          Ernest Web, son, 1898
          Lilly Webb, dau, 1899
          Eva Webb, 1901.
          Lilly Harrup, b c 1863, England, HOUSEKEEPER

now to 1911 Scot census
          all have the name of WALKER
          Lilly W, 48, b England
          Sydney W, 15, son
          Ernest, 13, son
          Lilly, 12, dau
          Eva, 10, dau
          Eliza A ? Sloley, sister, b England
          Last edited by herky; 19-03-12, 23:03.
          herky

Comment

Thank you so much. And this is very possible. Lilly and John went into have a son called William Webb Irvine. I will look into this more tomorrow.

Suzie.

Comment

it looks like the same family, but why are they web, with their 'mother' as harrup, only to all become walker? i mean i get walker is the step father, but if lily is the mother, why aren't the kids harrup?

Comment

I know. That is now bugging me. But Webb definately fits.

Comment

It appears that Lilly senior was the housekeeper and had children by William Webb who was a mason.
                  I have checked a birth cert and both Lilly and William Webb sign as the parents with the child listed as illegitimate.
                  Where the name Walker comes from is a mystery as I can't find a marriage. Unless it was pure fiction to make Lilly appear to be married and not the mother of all these illegitimate children - to make it appear more respectable.
                  I will look again soon at this - love a mystery!!!
                  Last edited by herky; 20-03-12, 09:26.
                  herky

Comment

The more I think about it the more I think that Mr WALKER did not exist.
                    On the 1911 census Lilly is listed as a widow - also saying she has 4 children all living and that she is/was married for 16 years.
                    Now 1911 - 16 = 1895 and this includes the period where she is having children with Mr Webb.

As the first name of Webb is William (same name as Mr Walker) and he is a mason (same as Mr Walker) then I think Walker never existed.
                    I may be way out .......then again why did she call them all Wallker in 1911.................oh this is just like my great granny's story and it is so frustrating!!!!!!!!!!!!
                    herky

Comment

Thank you so much Herky, and it definatley is a mystery, why did they just not get married? hmmm definatly an interesting mystery.
                      Last edited by smills1979; 20-03-12, 14:10.

Comment

Thought you might be interested Herky, just tried to find william webbs death and guess what no death between 1901 and 1911. so i looked for William walkerand Bingo! he died March 31st 1911 aged 57, and his body was found int he river clyde. His "wife" was lilly walker nee Harrop.

\his father was George Walker mason and mother was sarah Webb.

So it sounds like there is still a bit of a mystery !

Comment

Certainly does.
                          I am just in but I will send you the items in my PM shortly.
                          herky

Comment

Working...
                          X