Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Baptism Question - John Hine 1835

I'm working on John (born Q3 1837) now & am confident he wasn't born in 1835 with Frederick John. I have followed him thru the data with parents Charles & Elizabeth & on to his own family with another Elizabeth. I'm inclined to think to Frederick John had a twin, or as suggested earlier, was baptized twice. I'm wondering if twins Fred & John were born, John turned sickly, was baptized early & died, and the parents added John as Fred's middle name when they baptized him in July. Then two years later named their next son John. Just a hypothesis, but I'll keep looking.

The family has been fairly easy to track, and Frederick has a lot of descendants on Ancestry but I haven't seen any answers to the John puzzle yet. Oh well, if it were easy ....

Quote Originally Posted by Darksecretz View Post
    I have just looked through Wandsworth all saints burials from 1835-1837 and nothing is showing for a John Hine.. so a bit puzzling where the heck he went to!
    I'd expect him to show up in the records if he had died. Julie, are you looking at an index or the actual PR?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoFamily View Post
    I'd expect him to show up in the records if he had died. Julie, are you looking at an index or the actual PR?
    the actual pr's on ancestry, Sarah, though it is possible that if he was sickly he might have gone, say to a workhouse? or maybe another church in WW has the details.
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

Has anyone managed to decypher the notes in the right-hand margin on the image? Does it give a clue?
    (see post 10)

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
    Has anyone managed to decypher the notes in the right-hand margin on the image? Does it give a clue?
    (see post 10)

Jay
    do you mean the entry above fred john, Jay? if so, it says Off min (officiating minister)
    Julie

No Julie. I mean on the very right of the image - as a note in the margin of the register, outside the normal printed coloumns of the book.
    There are 2 comments - one next to the first entry and then another brief one, next to the entry for Frederick John.

Also look at the names of the officiating ministers and when they change. (May or may not be of significance.)

Jay
    Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 09-03-12 at 14:32.
    Janet in Yorkshire

Blog Entries
    oh yes I see it now, "publicly baptised ? ends in ell"
    Julie

Blog Entries
    I wonder if the one below it is just a "p" for privately baptised?
    Julie

I think the top comment MIGHT say something like "duplicate baptism ? Ireland? Kell?"I think the lower comment looks like "rep"It might not be significant in any way, but the comment was added for some reason and COULD have been added at a later time and even by a different person.Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Good eye Jay, but I have no idea what it may tell us. The two baptisms were officiated by a different individual though.