No announcement yet.

Freemans, Levines of ireland? "Desperately Seeking Shulla" and her origins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• http://www.jewishgen.org/yizkor/plunge/plu003.html I think is Plungyan.
    Rishane – if you google there are some others that mention that place name.
    http://www.jewishgen.org/communities/loctown.asp Have a look in here for that and also Telsh.
    Now you’ve collated info go through this http://www.litvaksig.org/ , enter all your surnames on JGFF as well as contacting anyone who is searching those surnames from these towns.
    Great that you’ve now got all the naturalisation details and names. Now you can go back in time.

Comment

• Did you know about this Will at Proni - in the online searchable database but I think you'd have to apply to them for a copy

Administration (with the Will) of the Personal Estate of Myer Levine late of 29 Thorndale Avenue Belfast Draper who died 29 December 1921 granted at Belfast to Florence Levine Spinster Effects £701 14s. 9d.
      The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
      Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

• Originally posted by annswabey View Post
        Did you know about this Will at Proni - in the online searchable database but I think you'd have to apply to them for a copy

Administration (with the Will) of the Personal Estate of Myer Levine late of 29 Thorndale Avenue Belfast Draper who died 29 December 1921 granted at Belfast to Florence Levine Spinster Effects £701 14s. 9d.
        Oh Ann! You found it. Thank you. I had been searching and had given up. Wow. You guys are amazing.

I've been crawling the PRONI and found nothing. How did you do it?
        Last edited by lillebetta; 31-03-12, 20:12.

Comment

• Myer Levine family update

Many thanks to the people here who have found so much that I wasn't able to.

The wonderful Wallaby has sent me a pic of The illusive Shulla's gravestone. I now have her father's name!

Her name on the stone is Sule daughter of Schlomo Yakov wife of Dovid Levine

Here's the tree I have patched together:

1) Wiiliam (Ze’ev) Levitt 1840 of Plunge, Lithuania (Buried in Dublin?)
          m. Semi/Shimshe/Shimeah/Shemsha of ____________________
          address in 1900: 17 Longwood Ave. South Circular Road, Dublin

A) Morris Levitt b.1861 aka Maurice Levine of Belfast ?
          m. Gertrude b. 1864
          Naturalized 1892
          Address 6 Ontario Terrace, Rathmines, Dublin. Russian nationality. Born Plungyan(?), Kovno, Russia. Parents William and Shimche, both Russian. Date of birth 6 Nov 1861, occupation draper. Married, 2 children - Harris Lewis, 4 and Samuel Isaac, 2

a) Harry Louis 1889 b. Russia (Plunge?)
          b) Samuel Issac 1890 b. Russia
          c) Sarah 1893 b. Dublin
          d) Tillie 1895 b. Dublin
          e) Ethel 1897 b. Dublin

B) Myer Dovid/David Levine b. 1862/3 – 1921 of Telshi, Lithuania (nee Levitt - haha)

Naturalized 1904
          Address 29 Thorndale Ave, Belfast. Russian, born in the County of Reshane Poland 1861. Parents William and Shimeah, both Russian, having been born in the town of Telsh in the Baltic Province of Kovno. Age 42, widower, 5 children – Harry L, 17, Fanny, 15, Florrie, 13, Leah, 11, Jacob S, 9. All living with him – last 3 born in Belfast. Occupation draper. Letter in file refers to Joseph and Myre Levine residing and carrying on business in Belfast wishing to be naturalised.

m. Sule 1858 – 1903 daughter of Shlomo Yakov of __________________
          aka Shulla/Shula/Sheila Freeman Buried in Belfast City Cemetery

a) Harry Louis 1887
          b) Fanny Edith 1889
          c) Freda (Florrie) 1890/1 Belfast
          d) Leah 1892/3 “
          c) Jacob Solomon (Jack) 1894 Belfast

C) Nathan Levitt b.1867
          Naturalized 1892
          Address as above. Russian nationality. Birthplace and parents as above. Date of birth 2 June 1867, occupation draper. Unmarried.
          Address in 1900: 91 S.C. R., Dublin

D) Louis Levitt b. 1869
          Naturalized 1892
          Address as above. Russian nationality. Birthplace and parents as above. Date of birth 10 June 1869 , occupation draper. Unmarried.
          Address in 1900: 11 Grave Park, Rathmines, Dublin

E) Julius 1875 ? Russia?
          Address in 1900: 17 Longwood Ave, S.C. R., Dublin
          ?????http://www.census.nationalarchives.i...urt_St_/72957/

F) Sam (presumably Samuel) Levitt b. 1870? Russia? (age 22 in 1892?)
          Is he the relative that went to South Africa?
          Address in 1900: 17 Longwood Ave, S.C.R.,Dublin

Moving right along, slowly but moving ......
          Last edited by lillebetta; 31-03-12, 19:31.

Comment

• Many thanks to the mod who fixed my silly spelling error in the thread title! :o>

Comment

• It's been a while. I have been overwhelmed lately and not thinking/seeing quite straight. Yeesh. Not a good state for research.
              It's going to be slow going for a while longer I'm afraid. Losing momentum doesn't help.

Regarding Myer/Myre Levine naturalization doc.

He applied originally with Joseph Freeman in Dec. 1903, with whom he was doing business, presumably as drapers in Belfast!
              The name is not JosephLevineas I stated previously.:o

SR has him (?) as aka Friedman born in 1848.

One of his memorialists was Frederick Israel Freedman of Chase Adelaide Park, Malone Road, Belfast, Co. Antrim,
              a natural born British subject. He stated that he knew Myer for 9 years. It seems unlikely that they were related given that
              although it is possible.

This might be Frederick, born in London > http://www.census.nationalarchives.i...e_Park/974707/

I still have no idea when Myer came the UK. His wife Sule/Shulla/Shimeah must have come
              after the birth of Fanny in 1889 and before the birth of Freda in 1990/91. She was recorded by her daughter Leah
              as nee Freeman but SR has her as nee Levine. Could Joseph be her brother? Could Levine and Freeman be the same name?

Wallaby has shown me how variable this name is and how many there are, nevermind the errors!

Wal', Have you run across either of these fellows in your quest? Could Frederick be one of yours?

Comment

• Originally posted by lillebetta View Post
                It's been a while. I have been overwhelmed lately and not thinking/seeing quite straight. Yeesh. Not a good state for research.
                It's going to be slow going for a while longer I'm afraid. Losing momentum doesn't help.

Regarding Myer/Myre Levine naturalization doc.

He applied originally with Joseph Freeman in Dec. 1903, with whom he was doing business, presumably as drapers in Belfast!
                The name is not JosephLevineas I stated previously.:o

SR has him (?) as aka Friedman born in 1848.

One of his memorialists was Frederick Israel Freedman of Chase Adelaide Park, Malone Road, Belfast, Co. Antrim,
                a natural born British subject. He stated that he knew Myer for 9 years. It seems unlikely that they were related given that
                although it is possible.

This might be Frederick, born in London > http://www.census.nationalarchives.i...e_Park/974707/

I still have no idea when Myer came the UK. His wife Sule/Shulla/Shimeah must have come
                after the birth of Fanny in 1889 and before the birth of Freda in 1990/91. She was recorded by her daughter Leah
                as nee Freeman but SR has her as nee Levine. Could Joseph be her brother? Could Levine and Freeman be the same name?

Wallaby has shown me how variable this name is and how many there are, nevermind the errors!

Wal', Have you run across either of these fellows in your quest? Could Frederick be one of yours?

Have you got these...

1901 Irish census gives...
                Address: 38, Adelaide Park Antrim
                Israel Freedman age 35 Head of family Born London Occ: Tailor/Clothier Married
                Jeanette Freedman age 27 Wife born Nottinghamshire
                Baron Lewis Freedman age 9 born Edinburgh

Also, Naomi found...

1871 London Census
                Address Mile End New Town (no street address given)
                Abraham J Freedman age 33 Head
                Maria Freedman age 35
                Morris Freedman age 11
                Israel Freedman age 6
                **Joseph Freedman age 4
                Eva Morris age 16

1881 London Census
                Address 74, Hanbury St Mile End New Town
                Abraham J Freedman age 43 Head
                Maria Freedman age 48 Wife
                Israel Freedman age 16
                Eliza Wood age 13
                Jacob Myers age 82
                Milla Freedman age 56

More to follow when I find them in my notes...

Wal'
                Last edited by Wallaby; 16-04-12, 16:27.
                We should never forget them,
                Because we would not be here today, but for them.
                We should be proud, reflect, respect and always remember them.
                Because we all have them…
                Them… were our Ancestors.

Comment

• This might NOT be Israel Freedman's death, but...

In SR's Dolphin's barn cemetery records, there is...

Israel Freedman buried 26-05-1910. Born: 1865. Dolphin's Barn Dublin Plot Nº 07-A-03.
                  Hebrew name: Yisroel Ben Avrohom Yitzchok. Inscription: Israel Freedman D: 26-05-1910 age 45 years.

And also...

Janette (Janie) buried 20-06-1947. a.k.a. Freeman b: 1868. Dolphin's Barn Cemetery. Plot Nº 02-D-31.
                  Inscription: My Mother Jeanette Freedman 20-06-1947 age 79 years M/B Son, brothers sisters and relatives.

Spelling given as in records.

Wal'

Comment

• Also Watson found...
                    Marriage

Name: Israel Frederick Freedman
                    Date of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep 1890
                    Registration district: Nottingham
                    Inferred County: Nottinghamshire
                    Volume Number: 7b
                    Page Number: 523

To Jeanetta Karmel Jul-Aug-Sep 1890 Nottingham Nottinghamshire

Marriage of

Name: Baron L Freedman
                    Spouse Surname: Levy
                    Date of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep 1922
                    Registration district: Prestwich
                    Inferred County: Lancashire
                    Volume Number: 8d
                    Page Number: 819
                    Rika A Levy Freedman Jul-Aug-Sep 1922 Prestwich Lancashire

Off an Ancetry tree
                    kentalgar

Last log in: Over a year ago

Baron Llewelyn Freedman

Birth in Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
                    Death in Jersey County, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

Reka Augusta Levy
                    • Kenneth Frederick Freedman1923 – 1988

Wal'

Comment

• Also found this JC Death Notice 28.12.1894
                      On 25th December, 3rd night of Hanuca,at 49 Victoria Park Rd.
                      Marie, wife of A. I. Freedman, mother of E. Freedman,Glasgow and F. Freedman, Belfast.

Watson.

Comment

• Births Sep 1865
                        Karmel Janetta Nottingham 7b 204

Comment

• Thanks so much. I don't know if and how this might relate to my family but it sure is an interesting angle. It seems like I now have to start collecting certs with abandon.

Comment

• Just trying to revive my memory and these Freedmans you guys have found all look excellent for the Israel Freedman Memorialist on Myer's nat papers. You are amazing. I wish I could just get a lead on the Freeman in connection with Shulla. Have ordered the proper DC and enquired about the coroner's report which should be in Belfast.

On the day she died there was a big article in the JC about the massacre in Kishinev. Following that trail I got to a report by a survivor, Jacob Freidman who told his dreadful story in New York. http://www.museumoffamilyhistory.com...s-kishinev.htm

My imagination is running wild. There are so many Freedmans and Levitts from Moldova!

Here is Israel Freedman in 1901 with Jeanette and Baron Lewis and a matching address to the nat papers:

As for Joseph with whom he applied, there is a Joseph Freeman in 1911 census, born in Russia, age 24, credit draper, boarder with the Mendle family in Down. Might be?

The baby Joseph, age 4 in 1881, I don't see anywhere?

Comment

• Finally back with good news. I have made enormous progress. To begin with I found "her"! Along the way
                              I have made made contact with several distant cousins and fleshed out my tree. Many many thanks to the
                              people here who helped me along this crazy path.

Comment

• great news..

Comment

• Family 9

Just seen this and family 9 - Percy Levitt was my grandfather!

Originally posted by Wallaby View Post
                                  I've gone thru the Irish census for 1901+1911 & put together the following Levitt & Levine families, so they're easier to see who's who…

Wal'

1901 Levitt families:

Family Nº1: Address: 32, Lincoln Ave Clifton, Antrim 1901
                                  Nathan Levitt - Head age 35 Russia Merchant
                                  Florence Levitt - Wife - age 26 England
                                  Lillian Levitt daughter age 4 Dublin
                                  Edith Levitt daughter age 3 Dublin
                                  Estell Levitt daughter age ? Belfast
                                  Julius Levitt brother to head Russia commercial furniture unmarried
                                  Samuel Levitt brother to head Russia book-keeper

Family Nº2: Address: 34, Loughans (High Street) Tullyish, Down 1901
                                  Sarah Levitt - Head - age 54 - Church of Ireland - Dublin - Worker in Thread Factory

Family Nº3: Address: 2, Kilmoyly South Ballynorig Kerry 1901
                                  Thomas Levitt age 16 apprentice to head Catholic - Kerry - shoe maker

Family Nº4: Address: 11, Harrington Street, Fitzwilliam, Dublin 1901
                                  Joseph Levitt - Head - age 30 Russia furniture dealer
                                  Tillie Levitt - wife - age 27 - England
                                  Nathaneal Levitt son age 5 - Dublin
                                  Israel Levitt son age 1 - Dublin

Family Nº5: Address: 53, Grove Park, Rathmines Dublin 1901
                                  Louis Levitt - Head - age 30 - Russia - Commercial Traveller
                                  Caroline Levitt - wife - age 24 - Talmonth

EDIT:
                                  Family 5A (missed one!) Address: 196, Old Lodge Road, Antrim
                                  Myer Myers - head - age 58 - Russia Butcher
                                  Annie Myers - wife - age 55 - Russia - Butcher
                                  Leah Myers - daughter - age 21 Russia - School
                                  Robert Myers - son - age 18 - Russia -Drapery Traveller
                                  Joe Myers - son - age 15 - Russia - School
                                  Myer Levit - Boarder - age 29 - Russia - Drapery Traveller

-------------------
                                  1901 Levine families:

Family Nº6: Address: 18, Carlisle Street, Antrim 1901
                                  Maurice Levine - Head - age 40 - Russia - general draper
                                  Gertrude Levine wife - age 37 - Russia
                                  Harry Levine son - age 12 - Russia
                                  Samuel Levine son - age 11 - Russia
                                  Sarah Levine daughter - age 8 - Dublin
                                  Tillie Levine daughter - age 6 - Dublin
                                  Ethel Levine daughter - age 4 - Dublin
                                  Samuel Levine cousin - age 21 - Russia

Family Nº7: Address: Military Camp Kildare 1901
                                  J Levine age 21 Co England

Family Nº8: Address: 8, Bedeque Street Antrim 1901
                                  Waiff Cohen - head - age 65 - baker - Russia
                                  Malke Cohen - wife - age 60 - Russia
                                  Bernhard Cohen - son - age 35 - droper? - Russia
                                  Maria Cohen - wife - age 30 - Russia
                                  Rebecca Cohen - daughter - age 24 - Russia - dress maker
                                  Maria Cohen - daughter age 22 - Russia - dress maker
                                  Nelly Cohen - daughter - age 12 Russia
                                  David Cohen - son - age 10 - Belfast
                                  Annie Cohen daughter age 5 - Belfast
                                  Michael Cohen son - age 2 - Belfast
                                  Morris Levine - visitor - age 20 - Russia - Fowler?
                                  ----------------------------------
                                  1911 Levitt families:

Family Nº 9: Address: 60, Grosvenor Road, Rathmines Rathgar West, Dublin 1911
                                  Joseph Ezekiel Levitt - head - age 40 - Dublin - merchant
                                  Lillie Levitt - wife age 39 - Russia
                                  Percy Israel Levitt - son - age 11 - Dublin
                                  Lionel Samuel Levitt - son - age 9 - Dublin

Family Nº10: Address: 78, Leinster Road, Rathmines & Rathgar West, Dublin 1911
                                  Louis Levitt - head - age 39 - Russia - drapery business
                                  Caroline Levitt - wife - age 32 - England
                                  Wilbert Levitt - son - age 9 - Dublin
                                  Bertie Levitt - son - age 6 - Dublin

Family Nº 11: Address: 11, Glenravel Street, Antrim 1911
                                  Barnett LEVIEN* - head - age 36 Russia - tailor
                                  Sarah Levien - wife - age 27 - Russia
                                  Jack Levien - son - age 7 - Belfast
                                  Mary Levitt - visitor - age 80 - Russia

Family Nº12: Address: , Essex Quay, Dublin 1911
                                  Louis Levine - head - age 43 - Claud Russia - cabinet maker
                                  Sarah Levine - wife - age 38 - Russia
                                  Eli Levine - son - age 15 - Russia apprentice cabinet maker

Family Nº13: Address: 44, Thorndale Ave, Clifton Antrim 1911
                                  Myer Levine - head - age 48 - Russia - draper
                                  Freda Levine - daughter - age 20 - Belfast
                                  Leah Levine - daughter - age 18 - Belfast
                                  Jacob Levine - son - age 16 - Belfast

Family Nº14: Address: 32, Bedeque Street, Antrim 1911
                                  Nathan Levine - head - age 40 - Russia - cabinet maker
                                  Eva Levine - wife - age 38 - Russia
                                  Ethel Levine - daughter - age 17 - England - tayloress
                                  Sarah Levine - daughter - age 14 - England - Bookbinder
                                  Bessie Levine - daughter - age 12 - England

Family Nº15: Address: 6, Borris in Ossory Town, Queen's Co. 1911
                                  Anne Murphy - head - age 66 - Queen's Co - dressmaker
                                  Philip Hyman Levine - lodger - age 26 - Russia - trading in jewellery

Family Nº16: Address: 18.1, Barrack Street, Cappoquin, Waterford
                                  Residents of a house all seem to be young Catholic boys perhaps a home.
                                  Patrick Levine - age 9
                                  Michael Levine - age 8
                                  Simon Levine - age 7
                                  Tom Levine - age 9
                                  Joseph Levine - age 7

------------------------

Comment

• Good to hear you have found a contact on FTF and welcome to the Forum you can contact the poster by clicking on their username and selecting from the dropdown box to send this person a message, though you may have to make two or three posts before you can do this, meanwhile you can read up through the thread and see just where your Grandfather comes into their Family.

Edna

I have sent lillibetta a message for you
                                    Last edited by clematised; 29-12-14, 21:24.

Comment

• Originally posted by clematised View Post
                                      Good to hear you have found a contact on FTF and welcome to the Forum you can contact the poster by clicking on their username and selecting from the dropdown box to send this person a message, though you may have to make two or three posts before you can do this, meanwhile you can read up through the thread and see just where your Grandfather comes into their Family.

Edna

I have sent lillibetta a message for you
                                      Thanks so much. It's been so long I need a refresher!

Comment

• Hi Levittm,

As you can see from the date, it's been a while since I posted the list of the names Levitt, Levin & Levine from the Irish censuses. At that time, my involvement in Lillebetta's research was to try & find a link from Lillebetta's Friedmans to my Friedmans. Dublin seems to hold the key. We researched the possibility for a few months, only to find a train at the end of the tunnel. It was a long shot. We suspected some link between Levine & Levitt, I forget why we followed that suspicion at the time. But I remember Lillebetta had both variations of the names in her tree. The names of Levitt & Levine/Levin seemed to morph into each other.

My grandfather Louis Friedman/Freedman/Freeman is listed on the Irish alien register when he visited Dublin from Liverpool in 1917. He states that he is lodging with 'Ada Levin' who ran a boarding house at 12, St Kevin's Parade, Dublin. I'm in contact with Ada Levin's gt grandson. As yet, we do not know if there's any family link between my grandfather & Ada Levin but he took 5 of his younger children to stay with her in a very small house slap-bang in the middle of WW1. A dangerous time to cross the Irish Sea for just a holiday, but we don't know why he was there.

We still don't know if Ada Levin is linked to Lillebetta's tree & we don't know if Ada is connected to your Levitt family. Any information that you have could re-start this thread, which has been shelved for a long time & may also help with you own research. You will find FTF members a helpful & friendly bunch.

A very warm welcome to FTF

Wallaby

PS. Thanks for contacting me Clematised ;-)
                                        Last edited by Wallaby; 31-12-14, 15:41.

Comment

• May I wish everyone a Happy New Year while I'm here.

My book sales are going well & I've been invited to talk about it at the Jewish radio programme 'Jewish Hour' on Friday 12th January between 7-8pm.

Wal'

Comment

Working...
                                          X