Freemans, Levines of ireland? "Desperately Seeking Shulla" and her origins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Wal',

Good to see you. I follow your "book reports" with interest and admiration.

My Levines are actually Levitts. mlevitt and I have been in touch thanks to Edna's acute eye and memory.
    We are distant cousins!

The Ada Levin angle is not one I have pursued. The name hasn't come up in my research but anything is possible until proven otherwise. You are right about Dublin being the hub and the key to that line.

Decoding transcriptions and names is part of the process. I have come across so many name variations on documents for my grandmother including Levin and one incomprehensible French sounding entry. Talk about cryptic! lol The best discovery was on another branch where the census was transcribed as Sarah
    but upon checking the original document it was clearly an error and my missing Norah was indeed right where she should have been!

The only Ada I'm sure about in my family is on another branch entirely and related by marriage.

I am sure that your Fred knew my Myer. That article I shared way back in the dark ages makes that pretty clear if your Fred is the one mentioned.

My Freemans were a Belfast family and married into the Lipson family of Liverpool. That's the connection
    that intrigues me. The social connections were undoubtedly there. The genetic ones are much less certain
    and DNA will only help with contiguous male line relationships as I understand it.
    I have that in the works but it will only reveal all the gentile gents if I'm lucky.

Happy New Year and best wishes.
    'lil'

Comment

• Shula, Samuel and Joseph Freeman

Shula had two brothers in Antrim, Samuel and Joseph. Their mother "Mary" (nee Hirshowitz) was there too as per his nat papers.
      Their father was Solomon Jacob/Schlomo Yakov. Mary is apparently widowed.

I just noticed something I should have noticed long ago.

The 1901 census has Joseph's birthplace as Germany. This fits with what my mother said. "There is a German connection." His niece Leah (Shula's daughter) spent time in Germany as young woman, teaching?, au pair? This must have been before WWI.
      She was fluent in German I'm told.

I haven't found any documents that show any of the above.

His brother Samuel's naturalization papers show him as coming from Vainutas, Lithuania.
      He arrived in Ireland circa 1891. He lived with his brother Joseph when he first arrived.

I can't find nat papers for Joseph. He died in 1904.

A quick search of passenger lists reveals nothing for either Samuel or Joseph Freeman, never mind Shula or "Mary" Freeman or Leah Levine.

Any ideas where I might look? Perhaps there were Freeman connections in Germany like my mother suggested?

Residents of a house 147 in Donegal Street (St. Anne's, Antrim)

Show all information
      Freeman Fanny 12 Female Daughter Israelite Belfast Scholar Read and write No Not Married -
      Freeman Rebecca 11 Female Daughter Israelite Belfast Scholar Read and write No Not Married -
      Freeman Eva Maud 14 Female Daughter Israelite Belfast Scholar Read and write No Not Married -
      Freeman Joseph 47 Male Head of Family Israelite Germany Financier Read and write No Married -
      Gromley Mary Agnes 21 Female Servant Roman Catholic England Domestic Servant Read and write No Not Married -
      Freeman Ernest Isaac 7 Male Son Israelite Belfast Scholar Read No Not Married -
      Freeman Solomon Jacob 9 Male Son Israelite Belfast Scholar Read and write No Not Married -
      Freeman Samuel 15 Male Son Israelite Belfast Clerk of Land Office Read and write No Not Married -
      Freeman Harvey 17 Male Son Israelite Dublin Clerk of Land Office Read and write No Not Married -
      Freeman Sarah Ann 39 Female Wife Israelite England -
      His wife was Sarah Ann Lipson of Liverpool. Samuel married her sister Rebecca. That family seems well documented going forward.

Comment

• Mystery solved

Slow on the uptake but It occurred to me finally that The German Empire was not the same as modern Germany. Looking into old maps of the German Confederation showed me that the part of modern day Lithuania from whence my Freemans came was part of it in 1851.
        Last edited by lillebetta; 16-01-15, 16:41.

Comment

Working...
        X