X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Tilly Mint View Post
    Yes the Florence 1 looks good....

LEVITT Nathan AMSELEM Florence Liverpool, Hope Place Synagogue Liverpool
    Found this - but the site is not safe to enter - they are family trees by Mu***a

Florence Amselem

Born:
    Lancashire, England

Lived in: Liverpool, Lancashire, England
    Died: Liverpool, Lancashire, England
    7 immediate family members including NATHAN and DOROTHY HANNAH
    We're on the same path. What is wrong with M site? My grandmother was called Florrie. The name pops up a bit in the Irish census.

Hey Wal', the connection is going to pan out. I just feel it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
      Probably of no significance whatsoever, but when I was a teenager there were three clothes shops called Levine, Levitt and Levi. All three were owned by the same family, so maybe it was not unusual for the name to shift between Levine and Levitt?

Also, in the late 1700s, I have a family in Yorkshire whose surname was Levitt. They were extremely wealthy and influential and I have often wondered if their origins were Jewish.

OC
      Where? PM me if you like. thanks. My Levitt/Levines were all drapers.

Comment

• Levitt, Shemsha (Seamie) b. 1834. Could this be my Semi Levitt dod 1900 Africa.

OOPs. Nope. M not F.

Could this gender assignment be an error?

Or is the error in the newspaper? "Mrs. Levitt, father of...."
        Last edited by lillebetta; 16-03-12, 20:58. Reason: second thoughts

Comment

• Have sent pm re Nat file. Re Thompson - don't know which period you're talking about but any surviving Army discharge papers should be online - Ancestry for WW1 and FindmyPast for pre WW1, unless he was an Officer, then they would be at the National Archives.
          The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
          Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

• Originally posted by annswabey View Post
            Have sent pm re Nat file. Re Thompson - don't know which period you're talking about but any surviving Army discharge papers should be online - Ancestry for WW1 and FindmyPast for pre WW1, unless he was an Officer, then they would be at the National Archives.
            Thank you,

WWI. I doubt he was an officer. I wish I had the photo of him in uniform. All I know is story that he was gassed. I'll keep searching.
            I came up with an overwhelming # of the same name before. I have ancestry world, US. It seems to be different than UK.

Comment

• I've asked if someone can tell me what the full notice says for Semi etc. Shemsha/Seamie sounds like the same person. Where did you find the death info in Africa?

Comment

• Originally posted by naomiatt View Post
                I've asked if someone can tell me what the full notice says for Semi etc. Shemsha/Seamie sounds like the same person. Where did you find the death info in Africa?
                JC search. Too many peeps! So mixed up.

Comment

• Originally posted by lillebetta View Post
                  JC search. Too many peeps! So mixed up.
                  I think that means African papers please copy, which means there were family in Africa (South Africa). I have a few like that, say American papers please copy. Because of one notice I found that my ggm's sibling went to Boston!

Comment

I think that means African papers please copy, which means there were family in Africa (South Africa). I have a few like that, say American papers please copy. Because of one notice I found that my ggm's sibling went to Boston!
                    ????????

Comment

????????
                      …."friends. May her** soul rest in peace. Amen. African papers please copy". If this belongs to that notice, means that whoever passed away had relatives in Africa. Until we see the full notice, it's hard to say if the Africa bit applies to Semi or there was another Levitt in the paper as well. These are some poss's for Shemsha:

Legal/Hebrew: Shimshon Gender: M

Legal/Hebrew: Shmueyl Gender: M
                      Yiddish Nickname: Shmil / Shmilik / Shmoylo / Shmuile / Shmuilo / Shmuilov / Shmulik / Shmulke / Shmulko / Shmulo / Shmulye / Shmunke / Shmushke / Shmuyle / Shmuylo? / Smusye / Zaml

Comment

• Originally posted by Tilly Mint View Post
                        Yes the Florence 1 looks good....

LEVITT Nathan AMSELEM Florence Liverpool, Hope Place Synagogue Liverpool
                        Found this - but the site is not safe to enter - they are family trees by Mu***a

Florence Amselem

Born:
                        Lancashire, England

Lived in: Liverpool, Lancashire, England
                        Died: Liverpool, Lancashire, England
                        7 immediate family members including NATHAN and DOROTHY HANNAH
                        I think Amselem is probably a Sephardic surname...

Comment

• Originally posted by naomiatt
                          I think Amselem is a Sephardic surname...
                          I do too. Aramaic. Sigh.

Comment

I do too. Aramaic. Sigh.
                            So, if* you are connected to Nathan Levitt who married Florence, then that is a key to the Sephardic side of things..http://www.jewishgen.org/sephardic/ and looks like the surname is from Portugal and Gibralter. Think we need to ascertain if Myer Levitt and Myer Levine are one and the same man.
                            Last edited by naomiatt; 16-03-12, 22:39.

Comment

So, if* you are connected to Nathan Levitt who married Florence, then that is a key to the Sephardic side of things..http://www.jewishgen.org/sephardic/ and looks like the surname is from Portugal and Gibralter. Think we need to ascertain if Myer Levitt and Myer Levine are one and the same man.
                              I have suspected so for some time. How to prove it is it another matter. I do believe that the brothers, Nathan, et al are the key.
                              Of course they were all born in "Russia" so where to begin?

Just for the romance factor, a couple of years ago I met and fell in love with an elder Egyptian Jewess named Florence. We agreed that we looked each others' people. Sadly she died soon after we met. Between her familiar bone structure and her name my little anntennae were buzzing.
                              Last edited by lillebetta; 16-03-12, 22:53.

Comment

• Once you get the certs you'll be clearer, plus looking for Shulla with the other name variations mentioned before, and also that nat file presuming it's the right man. It's a big coincidence to have the same address for Shulla so hopefully it is the right one. It's too early to look at 'Russia', need to sort all this out first. In the meantime, there must be trees around with the Levitt family, so worth contacting them to see what they have, particularly for Myer Levitt.
                                Last edited by naomiatt; 16-03-12, 23:07.

Comment

• Originally posted by annswabey View Post
                                  Have sent pm re Nat file. Re Thompson - don't know which period you're talking about but any surviving Army discharge papers should be online - Ancestry for WW1 and FindmyPast for pre WW1, unless he was an Officer, then they would be at the National Archives.

I did search for military records on fmp for David, Myer Levine, but found nothing.

Wal'

PS been up since 6, so will login tomorrow & catch up.
                                  Last edited by Wallaby; 16-03-12, 23:38.
                                  We should never forget them,
                                  Because we would not be here today, but for them.
                                  We should be proud, reflect, respect and always remember them.
                                  Because we all have them…
                                  Them… were our Ancestors.

Comment

• A Louis, Morris and Nathan Levitt naturalised in September, 1892, as per the LG, address was 6 Ontario Terrace, Rathmines, Dublin as did Joseph Ezekial Levitt of 1 or 7 Emorville Square, South Circular Road, Dublin. Don't know if this is connected,
                                    ...Samuel Levitt (commonlv known as Samuel Richard Levitt); late of 10, Markel^street, North End, Port Elizabeth, South Africa, General Dealer, who died on the 1st day of November, 1927, at the Hackney Hospital, 230, Higlnstreet, Hackney, E.

Comment

Once you get the certs you'll be clearer, plus looking for Shulla with the other name variations mentioned before, and also that nat file presuming it's the right man. It's a big coincidence to have the same address for Shulla so hopefully it is the right one. It's too early to look at 'Russia', need to sort all this out first. In the meantime, there must be trees around with the Levitt family, so worth contacting them to see what they have, particularly for Myer Levitt.
                                      Shulla's death and Myer's naturalization?

There are a zillion Levitts of many persuasions. No clear path at all, not even breadcrumbs.
                                      Last edited by lillebetta; 17-03-12, 00:17.

Comment

A Louis, Morris and Nathan Levitt naturalised in September, 1892, as per the LG, address was 6 Ontario Terrace, Rathmines, Dublin as did Joseph Ezekial Levitt of 1 or 7 Emorville Square, South Circular Road, Dublin. Don't know if this is connected,
                                        ...Samuel Levitt (commonlv known as Samuel Richard Levitt); late of 10, Markel^street, North End, Port Elizabeth, South Africa, General Dealer, who died on the 1st day of November, 1927, at the Hackney Hospital, 230, Higlnstreet, Hackney, E.
                                        OH my. What's the LG?

Comment

OH my. What's the LG?
                                          The London Gazette......

Levitt, Joseph Ezekiel ...Russia...27th September, 1892...1, Emorville- square, South Circular-
                                          road, Dublin

Levitt, Louis...Russia...27th September, 1892...6, Ontario-terrace, Rathmiiies,
                                          Dublin

Levitt, Morris...Russia...26th September, 1892...6, Ontario-terrace, Rathmiiies,
                                          Dublin

Levitt, Nathan...Russia...26th September, 1892...6, Ontario-terrace, Rathmiiies,
                                          Dublin

You could also have a look for your Robert Thompson there......

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/search

Also found this...........

Levine, Nathan. See Levinsky, Nathan.
                                          Levinsky, Nathan (known as Nathan Levine);
                                          Russia; Furniture Manufacturer; 71, Cedar
                                          Avenue, Belfast. 20 January, 1928.
                                          Last edited by Tilly Mint; 17-03-12, 10:36. Reason: edit
                                          Jacky

Comment

Working...
                                          X