Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freemans, Levines of ireland? "Desperately Seeking Shulla" and her origins

Hi everyone,

Wallaby sent me here. It's a long way from California but I made it!

I am trying to trace my great grandparents. Shulla/Shula/Sheila Freeman/Levine 1858-1903.
    and David Myer Levine/Levit/Levit abt 1863 -1921. I have their burials and a death record for Shulla,
    but no DC yet. I'm waiting a bit before ordering it.

David Myer"s headstone shows his father as Zaev. He was a draper as per the 1911 census. This fits. But I have yet to find much of anything else, a grave is priceless, but does not tell a story.

He had brothers who were upset that he changed the family name from Levit.
    I have been told there was a cousin Sammy. There was also a Maurice in NYC, relationship unclear, but he came from Ireland. I have also been told that there were family in South Africa.

They lived in Belfast, were supposedly from Lithuania/Russia and had five children. The eldest two may have been born in "Russia". The youngest three were born in Belfast according to census.

The children are listed in a family record as follows: They all used the name Levine, but there have been many variations in the few records found.

Fanny Edith abt 1887 Married Phillip Appleman.

Harry Louis abt 1889

Freda 1890/91

Leah 1892/3

Jacob Solomon "Jack" 1894

The boys went to Montreal. The two younger sisters passed through Montreal in 1922.
    Maybe this will resonate with someone here. They must have had relatives in the UK/Ireland.
    I hope to hear from anyone with any ideas.

Thanks so much,

Lillebetta
    Last edited by lillebetta; 07-03-12, 22:17.

No bolding in thread title

Everything looked fine until I posted this thread. The title is not in bold in my view of the threads?

It looked like an automatic function. Curious.

Comment

Originally posted by lillebetta View Post
      Everything looked fine until I posted this thread. The title is not in bold in my view of the threads?

That is very odd... Lillebetta, I can see your titles in bold.. what browser are you using?
      Julie
      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Hi Lillebetta,

Welcome to FTF, I'm going to see can I find David Myer Levine on the 1901 Irish/UK/Welsh census, a lot of Jews that settled in Ireland were also in Wales first.

Wallaby

PS. Hi Julie, I can see it is in bold on the title of the actual post here above, but it is not bold on the forum title page, in fact I don't know how to get it to show bold on that page either, so this is a lesson for me too ;-)

Wallaby
        Last edited by Wallaby; 07-03-12, 21:14.
        We should never forget them,
        Because we would not be here today, but for them.
        We should be proud, reflect, respect and always remember them.
        Because we all have them…
        Them… were our Ancestors.

Comment

Originally posted by Wallaby View Post
          Hi Lillebetta,

Welcome to FTF, I'm going to see can I find David Myer Levine on the 1901 Irish/UK/Welsh census, a lot of Jews that settled in Ireland were also in Wales first.

Wallaby

PS. Hi Julie, I can see it is in bold on the title of the actual post here above, but it is not bold on the forum title page, in fact I don't know how to get it to show bold on that page either, so this is a lesson for me too ;-)

Wallaby
          Thanks.
          Last edited by lillebetta; 07-03-12, 22:13.

Comment

I always thought it is bold until you go into the thread - then it lightens up.......

Just hd a look and all the threads i have looked into have gone lighter - this is my theory anyway.....Lol
            Jacky

Comment

Hi Lillebetta...I can also see it in bold. What is David Myer's Levine/Levit/Levit Hebrew name? Is it Dovid Myer son of Zeev or something different? Do you feel that either of their families also came over? Was the surname Levit first? Any idea if they were Levites? (Although a surname can be Levy etc or Cohen doesn't always mean that they are Levites or Cohanim). Where did Fanny marry Phillip? Any idea if David naturalised? Any chance that he re-married if Shulla passed away before him?

Comment

Originally posted by naomiatt
                Hi Lillebetta...I can also see it in bold. What is David Myer's Levine/Levit/Levit Hebrew name? Is it Dovid Myer son of Zeev or something different? Do you feel that either of their families also came over? Was the surname Levit first? Any idea if they were Levites? (Although a surname can be Levy etc or Cohen doesn't always mean that they are Levites or Cohanim). Where did Fanny marry Phillip? Any idea if David naturalised? Any chance that he re-married if Shulla passed away before him?
                You folks are quick! Hi Naomi. These are great questions. Story says Levit/Levitt was changed by David Myer to Levine.

I can't read Hebrew so I only have the translation of headstone I was given. Dovid Myer son of Zeev is what I was told with slightly different spelling which as I understand it is meaningless. I do have a picture of it. More family in Ireland? I feel certain of it, "feel" being the operative word.

All I know is that they kept kosher. I assumed from the name that they were Levites, but now? The photo I have of Myer (that's how he was referred to and the name he used for business) made me think he was Sephardic when I first saw it years ago. It has only recently come into my possession which kicked off this quest.

Fanny and Phillip married in Belfast 1910. David may have naturalized but I don't know. Shulla died in 1903. The three youngest kids were little. They moved to a nicer house. I'm sure he had domestic help. Leah and Freda were "helpless" in the kitchen as married women. They lived with their father, unmarried, until he died. They left six months later.

It's quite a tale from there. I really want to get a sense of their lives in Belfast and the kind of family they were.

My mother dredged up a memory today of visiting Freemans in New York. She wasn't sure but it must have been in the early to mid fifties.

Comment

Wrechtsman here....nothing is ringing any bells for me, however having said that I'm keeping an eye on your thread as something might emerge as we progress. You're in great company with those who are helping you sort things out. My morning rituals involve coffee, oatmeal and FTF; wating to see where I go next and what's been uncovered. The best of luck!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by wrechtsman View Post
                    Wrechtsman here....nothing is ringing any bells for me, however having said that I'm keeping an eye on your thread as something might emerge as we progress. You're in great company with those who are helping you sort things out. My morning rituals involve coffee, oatmeal and FTF; wating to see where I go next and what's been uncovered. The best of luck!!!!
                    Thanks. I'm sure I'll be doing the same. So many of your family names are the same as mine I keep hoping something will be uncovered. Meanwhile I'm learning.

Comment

Originally posted by lillebetta View Post

Lillebetta,

I think I know why now, I wasn't reading what you had wrote properly last night, (tiredness)

When you 'compile' a thread, it appears in bold, then when you post-other members see it in not bold 'per se' but dark, when they have entered that thread, like Jacky says it becomes 'lighter' in colour, this then shows you that you have 'read' it. If someone posts on it, then it goes back to being darker (for you to see that someone has left a reply).. then, once you have read it, then it goes lighter again and the cycle beings all over.

if you want something in particular to stand out in a thread title, then you can capitalise it- but not all of the thread title as then it will revert back to lower case. so a mixture is best.

should you wish to subscribe to any thread, then you need to goto 'thread tools' which is to the upper right at the top of every page, click on that and there is the option to 'subscribe to this thread', this can be a good way of 'remembering' which threads you have posted on and also help you in getting used to the forum. once you have subscribed to a particular thread, to access this, say if you have gone to work and need to to and remember where you posted, goto top right and click on 'settings' this then, takes you into your subscribed threads. (and this should also show you any new posts within those threads.)
                      Julie

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                        Lillebetta,

I think I know why now, I wasn't reading what you had wrote properly last night, (tiredness)

When you 'compile' a thread, it appears in bold, then when you post-other members see it in not bold 'per se' but dark, when they have entered that thread, like Jacky says it becomes 'lighter' in colour, this then shows you that you have 'read' it. If someone posts on it, then it goes back to being darker (for you to see that someone has left a reply).. then, once you have read it, then it goes lighter again and the cycle beings all over.

if you want something in particular to stand out in a thread title, then you can capitalise it- but not all of the thread title as then it will revert back to lower case. so a mixture is best.

should you wish to subscribe to any thread, then you need to goto 'thread tools' which is to the upper right at the top of every page, click on that and there is the option to 'subscribe to this thread', this can be a good way of 'remembering' which threads you have posted on and also help you in getting used to the forum. once you have subscribed to a particular thread, to access this, say if you have gone to work and need to to and remember where you posted, goto top right and click on 'settings' this then, takes you into your subscribed threads. (and this should also show you any new posts within those threads.)

Thanks for this explanation Julie... you have Educated Rita (Wallaby) too ! That has always had me baffled because my threads are never bold & i thought I was doing something wrong.
                        We should never forget them,
                        Because we would not be here today, but for them.
                        We should be proud, reflect, respect and always remember them.
                        Because we all have them…
                        Them… were our Ancestors.

Comment

Originally posted by Wallaby View Post
                          Thanks for this explanation Julie... you have Educated Rita (Wallaby) too ! That has always had me baffled because my threads are never bold & i thought I was doing something wrong.
                          no problems Wal,

some things that can be blindingly obvious to some, aren't to others, if you come out of this thread and go back to Family History Research forum (this forum) then you can see the differing in thread title colours, (ie light & dark) if you have read/looked at some threads on here. I guess its all about how you look/search forums and its all a great learning curve, but, once you have grasped the basics then most forums are very similar.
                          Julie

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                            Lillebetta,

Gosh - i got it right - thats a 1st...rofl

PS sorry for this interuption Lillebetta
                            Jacky

Comment

Originally posted by Tilly Mint View Post
                              Gosh - i got it right - thats a 1st...rofl

PS sorry for this interuption Lillebetta
                              lol. No problem. These diversions are part of the deal. You just never know what you'll learn!

Comment

So excited. Just got a clipping from the Belfast newsletter 1899 that lists the following people together on the last day of the Feast of Tabernacles, Sept. 27. They were honoring Lord Mayor Otto Jaffe.

Myer Levine, Samuel Freeman, Louis Berowitz, Meyer Rosenfield, J. Meyers, stewards of the ceremony. Flowers by Miss Eva Freeman. She in turn was presented with a bouquet by Master Joseph Myers on behalf of Mr. and Mrs. J. G. Meyers.

Mr. Fred Freeman presiding

And it mentions many more. I'll have to come back later to list them all. There are more Freemans/Freedman. Stay tuned.

Off to lunch with the elders for Purim.

Comment

Oooh, Well Done !!

I look forward to hearing the names.
                                  Jacky

Comment

There's a naturalisation at the National Archives - might be him?

HO 144/719/110413 Levine, Myre, from Russia. Resident in Belfast. Certificate 14336 issued 19 April 1904.
                                    The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
                                    Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

It might be worth your while buying some credits for the British Newspaper Archive, because it looks as though there are some hits for Myer Levine of Belfast:

Your search results for "myer levine" AND belfast: 13 newspaper articles contained information about "myer levine" AND belfast. Filter your results by date, publication, region, county, place, type or public tag

Can't see anything for David Myer Levine, though.
                                      Last edited by Mary from Italy; 08-03-12, 20:58.

Comment

Working...
                                      X