Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for Ernest Waller - Poss. in Canada?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dobbiedobz1 View Post
    According to his attestation papers he lived in Brampton. I'm not really sure where to look from here on in though! Will keep searching

I think I'll also get in touch with Barnardos and see what information they have on him being sent over - I finally found him on the 1911 census and he's living with his mother, her new husband and their three daughters, so I'd be interested to see why they sent him and only him to Canada; I'm assuming it was because he was illegitimate and maybe they didn't want that hanging over them and their new family? Who knows!
    Also the attestation paper shows his wife as Jenny and the mother on the familysearch death record is Gwine??

I suppose he was of an age to work and maybe that suited all round for him to go abroad.

Have a look here for Ontario records http://www.archives.gov.on.ca/englis...ory/index.aspx

Margaret

Comment

Two suggestions:
      *Brampton Public Library's genealogy section:

Perhaps Brampton library knows where to find city directories and other vital statistics.

* Borrow on loan to your local Family History Center films from the following listings (not all are films):

Those books in the historical section can be interesting tidbits of local families and histories. But I don't think FHC's can route books to local centers?

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post
        Two suggestions:
        *Brampton Public Library's genealogy section:

Perhaps Brampton library knows where to find city directories and other vital statistics.

* Borrow on loan to your local Family History Center films from the following listings (not all are films):
        https://www.familysearch.org/search/...bjectId=343621

Those books in the historical section can be interesting tidbits of local families and histories. But I don't think FHC's can route books to local centers?
        Unfortunately I'm all the way in England so I don't think I could get access to these which is a shame.

I've also looked into records from Barnardos and I don't think they would give them to me - they seem to be very strict and will only allow the nearest living relative access to them (who is definitely not me - Ernest would be my great uncle). From what I can tell some of their stuff can be quite disturbing :S

Does anyone have any experience with them? I read on another forum that they wanted ÂŁ100 for sourcing another persons records which I definitely can't afford! :(

Comment

I didn't look closely at the library - they may have a contact method (email? online form), and do look ups for free or low cost. I've had a lot of luck that way. Ditto for gen and hist societies. There may be listings in the reference section - or google!

if you go to familysearch.org, you can look up the nearest Family History center to your location. Most films can be requested for loan to that FHC for a nominal fee.

Problem is, the films that were most likely to be of use were for churches - you probably don't know which denomination (if any) he attended.
          Last edited by PhotoFamily; 08-03-12, 06:30.

Comment

I'm afraid ÂŁ100 is about right for what Barnados charge, and they do want you to prove you are the closest relative.
            I wasn't prepared to pay that at the time but luckily sent them ÂŁ10 and got the Girls Photos while in the home, they are my most treasured Photos.

Comment

It's a shame really because I would have loved to know the circumstances he was sent to Canada but as I'm not the closest living relative (I don't even know WHO the closest relative would be) I don't think I've got a hope in seeing anything from them.

On another note, one of the previous posts found a death cert for an Ernest Waller who's parents were Ernest Waller and Gwine McMasters (Thank you very much!). Well I did a search on Ancestry last night, and found an Ontario marriage record between Ernest Waller and a JENNIE McMasters - sounds promising! I haven't got a worldwide membership though, so my boyfriend has said he'll sign up for a two week free trial for me so I can look into it (he's a good boy haha!).

Robyn

Comment

Originally posted by dobbiedobz1 View Post

On another note, one of the previous posts found a death cert for an Ernest Waller who's parents were Ernest Waller and Gwine McMasters (Thank you very much!). Well I did a search on Ancestry last night, and found an Ontario marriage record between Ernest Waller and a JENNIE McMasters - sounds promising!
                Yeah, I just googled "Gwine girls name" and didn't get anything referring to a name. Think "Jennie" can be so badly written that appears to be "Gwine"?

Comment

Found the marriage cert for Ernest and Jennie on Ancestry and it's definitely my Ernest.

I then searched for their child that died in 1923 and found the copies of the death register and certificate, however it's quite a bad copy and I'm struggling to read much on it - can anyone help me? It's confusing me slightly as above the entry, there is a little sentence that says 'registered as a birth but not as a death', and there's something written under informant and address that I can't read either - seems quite strange.

http://trees.ancestry.co.uk/tree/197...pl=pid%7cpgNum - Marriage certificate. I can't read the addresses on this either.

I hope these links work!

Robyn

Comment

Re : the marriage certificate.
                    I think that Ernest's address is Ex Camp - could be Expedition ? In the WW1 many enlisted in the Canadian Expeditionary Force.
                    Jennie lives at 38 Bellwoods Avenue.

They married at 702 Queens Street West, Toronto.
                    The witnesses are on Garden Avenue.

bcbrit
                    Last edited by bcbrit; 09-03-12, 01:42.
                    George, Uren, Toy - Cornwall. Barrows, Blair, Bowyer, Freeth, Green, Manie - London

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post
                      I didn't look closely at the library - they may have a contact method (email? online form), and do look ups for free or low cost. I've had a lot of luck that way. Ditto for gen and hist societies. There may be listings in the reference section - or google!
                      I agree, it's always worth contacting the local library - they are often happy to help. You could also try the local branch of the Ontario Genealogical Society to see what they have. This one (for Halton-Peel region of Ontario, which is where Brampton is situated) has cemetery transcriptions and there are several Wallers listed. It doesn't look that expensive - $1 per entry - to get the details. http://www.halinet.on.ca/sigs/ogshp/
                      There's a contact email as well (which was hard to find): Research Enquiries: research@ogs.on.ca
                      Jenny

Comment

Hello again,

I think that the ' registered as birth but not as death ' means just that.

His birth is shown on the death registration as in 1923, but the registers are for 1924.

Perhaps they thought the hospital would register the death, and then realized that it hadn't been done, and registered him late. They must have been heartbroken at losing a two day child.

In my husband's family there is a baby that died at ten days . The death was registered the next day, and the birth was registered two weeks later. The story goes that they thought they didn't need to register the birth, as the baby had died so soon after birth. Grief does weird things to people.

bcbrit
                        George, Uren, Toy - Cornwall. Barrows, Blair, Bowyer, Freeth, Green, Manie - London

Comment

I did wonder if that's what it had meant. I can't find any records for any other children either (although maybe I'm not looking hard enough). I seem to have come to a bit of a standstill now as I can't find any records for Ernest or Jennie after 1924 when their baby died, not even death records. Will keep looking - I still have 13 days left of my worldwide free trial haha

Robyn

Comment

It's confusing me slightly as above the entry, there is a little sentence that says 'registered as a birth but not as a death', and there's something written under informant and address that I can't read either - seems quite strange.
                            the wording isnt very clear but I think it says "Birth no 'something' slip, dept public health city hall"

Julie
                            They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Also the attestation paper shows his wife as Jenny and the mother on the familysearch death record is Gwine??
                              it might be that her name was 'Ginnie' but sounds like Jennie/Jenny, (as the French equivalent for Jennifer is Genevieve)
                              Julie
                              They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Working...
                              X