Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for Ernest Waller - Poss. in Canada?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for Ernest Waller - Poss. in Canada?

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone can help me with this. I'm searching for anything on Ernest Waller, born in Hertfordshire in 1900 out of wedlock to Elizabeth Waller (my great grandmother) who later married David Waterton in 1904.

All I have on him is his presence on the 1901 census living with Elizabeth and her mother Sarah in Great Gaddesden, Hertfordshire aged 10 months, however in my search, I did find this: https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.2.1/SGT7-56W suggesting that he was sent off to Canada.

Someone has obviously done their research on him however I haven't got a clue who!

Also, I can't find Elizabeth or David Waterton AT ALL on the 1911 census - think they may have been hiding haha!

Can anyone help?

Robyn

there is in 1911 a Ernest Watterton born abt 1901 in Frithersden Herts a Grandson at 13 Frithesden Hemel Hempstead
    RG14PN7769 RG78PN385 RD142 SD1 ED3 SN107
    Last edited by Guest; 06-03-12, 21:15.

Comment

There is a record on Ancestry about Ernest Weller on the Canada, Soldiers of the First World War database showing his Attestation Papers. This lists his mother as Elizabeth Waterton of Boxmoor, Hemel Hempstead. Ernest's address is listed as Dr Barnardos Home, 50 & 52 Peter Street, Toronto, his date of birth is shown as 27 May 1898 and he is a farmer.
      It was signed on 9 October 1916. Maybe he lied about his DOB so he could enlist?
      Last edited by LangleyValeSue; 06-03-12, 21:20.
      My avatar is my Great Grandmother Emma Gumbert

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

On Ancestry this is probably his passage to St Johns, New Brunswick, Canada aboard the Corinthian, landing on 1 April 1912.

Many of the passengers appear to be children aged between 8 & 15 and all on the page are C of E and going to Toronto to work in farming.

Seems probable he was a Barnardos Home Child, although he obviously knew his mother to be able to give her as his next of kin on his Attestation Papers.
        Last edited by LangleyValeSue; 06-03-12, 21:35.

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

Originally posted by LangleyValeSue View Post
          There is a record on Ancestry about Ernest Weller on the Canada, Soldiers of the First World War database showing his Attestation Papers. This lists his mother as Elizabeth Waterton of Boxmoor, Hemel Hempstead. Ernest's address is listed as Dr Barnardos Home, 50 & 52 Peter Street, Toronto, his date of birth is shown as 27 May 1898 and he is a farmer.
          It was signed on 9 October 1916. Maybe he lied about his DOB so he could enlist?
          This sounds really promising! Would you be able to possibly send me a picture of this as I don't have a worldwide membership in Ancestry so I wouldn't be able to see it.

Robyn

Comment

PM me your email address & I'll try to send it to you.

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

Here are his papers on the Library & Archives Canada site. Free to view. Bottom link of the 3 there. For some reason there are 3 different Ernests listed on the same page. Never come across that before on that site.

Very strange they all appear to be the same man. The middle link shows him as married to Jennie Waller. The signatures are all very similar.
              Last edited by LangleyValeSue; 06-03-12, 21:59.

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

That's brilliant thank you so much! I'm fairly new to this so I don't always know where to look for these things - you seem to have found it all so easily! I've had a look at that 1911 census entry too however I don't recognise either of the names listed as his grandparents so I don't think that's my Ernest unfortunately. I doubt I will find a 1911 census entry for him as if he was with his mother (which if he didn't go off to Canada until 1912 then I'm assuming he was) then I can't find a census entry for her either.

Robyn

Comment

You're welcome Robyn.

Unfortunately Canadian privacy laws are much stricter than ours so their BMD information is not easily available. Another problem is that each Canadian Province holds their own records and they don't have a central register as we have in UK. I tried to look for a marriage between Ernest and Jennie without any luck so far.

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

This site has lots of information about British Home Children. You may find Ernest on their database.
                    http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~britishhomechildren/

Last edited by LangleyValeSue; 06-03-12, 22:25.

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

Could there possibly be 3 records if he was applying for 3 different jobs within the army? I have NO clue how things like that would work unfortunately so that's just a little guess on my part! I noticed that they're each from 3 different dates - 1916, 1918 and 1919.

I may contact Barnardo's too and see what information they have on him with regards to his crossing over to Canada. Think I'll have to pay for it though so that may have to wait until payday haha.

Robyn

Comment

he is on that link I put on here for the Canadian website for home children, he may have been there in 1911 before going off to Canada ? my Girls were with Barnados for quite some time before they were sent.

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/d...b9lk646e43nmd0
                        here it is again
                        Last edited by Guest; 06-03-12, 22:37.

Comment

I don't have any experience of British Home Children records - my Canadians went over there before that scheme started - but I know there are members of this site who have dealt with Barnardos records. I'll see if I can find any references for you.

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

Good point Val I'll still have a look on the 1911 census for him then - it might make some sense if I find him at a Barnardos home. It seems quite likely that his mother sent him willingly to them - possibly due to starting her own family with her husband David.

Comment

I haven't looked at the attestation papers, so this is probably not useful, but:
                              could this be a child of his?
                              Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

Also, do you know where he lived as an adult? If he moved into a small town, there may be a town history book with him in it.

Also, someone on FTF knows how to access online Toronto historical papers - that member found an obit for dreeny22

Comment

Here's the link to the attestation papers http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/d...&id_nbr=297125

There are some BMDs for Ontario on ancestry but Ernest's doesn't seem to feature as far as I can see.

Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post
                                  I haven't looked at the attestation papers, so this is probably not useful, but:
                                  could this be a child of his?
                                  Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

Also, do you know where he lived as an adult? If he moved into a small town, there may be a town history book with him in it.

Also, someone on FTF knows how to access online Toronto historical papers - that member found an obit for dreeny22
                                  According to his attestation papers he lived in Brampton. I'm not really sure where to look from here on in though! Will keep searching

I think I'll also get in touch with Barnardos and see what information they have on him being sent over - I finally found him on the 1911 census and he's living with his mother, her new husband and their three daughters, so I'd be interested to see why they sent him and only him to Canada; I'm assuming it was because he was illegitimate and maybe they didn't want that hanging over them and their new family? Who knows!

Comment

where did you find him in 1911 ?

Comment

Working...
                                    X