Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

William Lake (about 1811- ) and Emma Court (about 1811 - 1895)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prairie Chicken says in post 28 that the John shown on the 1861 census in post 25 is her man.

If this is the correct John, then he does not seem to be the son of William and Emma.

Comment

Robert Clark looked good Margaret, but that Emma was only 21 at the time. No joy this time.

Comment

There is nothing showing in the Ontario deaths for Emma.

What exactly have you got?

Can you clarify which John Lake is yours as Breckland Jane and I are at cross purposes with this

Margaret

Comment

I've got that William in my shoebox Margaret. It may be him but not enough data to know for sure.

Breckland Jane has the right family--I hadn't mentioned Ann Sloman or Sarah & Robert Berry, but they are my family. My John Lake was born in either 1826 or 1833--there is conflicting data & I don't know which is mine. Sarah & Robert Berry were a previous stumbling block but I've got them sorted out now (children of Ann Sloman from a previous marriage, despite what the oral family history indicated). I've got to go back to the census reference B. Jane makes ... it may be a major clue!

Also, Margaret's mention of the Ridd family being on the same UK census page of some of the Lakes may help me eliminate some census data.

Comment

PC - at the beginning you stated you were trying to track down Emma & John. I really think you need to find death certificates and obits for them, both of which should exist given the time period you're talking about.

Death certificates in that time period should give parents' names, if the informant knew them.

Unfortunately, not all records are online.

Comment

PhotoFamily, I think you're right. I will continue to concentrate on John but with less emphasis on his parents being William Lake & Emma Court. This thread has given me some new ideas to use as filters though, which may help. I'll keep plugging away at it.

A few thoughts from a previous post:
              Is this your John Lake and family on the 1861 census?
              LAKE, John Head Married M 36 1825 Agricultural Labourer Plymtree Devon
              LAKE, Ann Wife Married F 39 1822 Uplowman Devon
              BERRY, Sarah Daughter In Law F 12 1849 Scholar Halberton Devon
              BERRY, Robert Son In Law M 11 1850 Scholar Halberton Devon
              LAKE, Ann Daughter F 7 1854 Scholar Halberton Devon
              LAKE, Emma Daughter F 4 1857 Scholar Halberton Devon
              LAKE, Eliza Daughter F 2 1859 Scholar Halberton Devon
              LAKE, John Son M 0 (3M) 1861 Halberton Devon

Ann Sloman married John Berry Q3 1848 Tiverton
              Ann Berry married John Lake Q4 1853

I've tried to trace this John back through the 1851 and 1841 census but unfortunately he doesn't appear with his parents.
              YES, THIS IS MY FAMILY. I’VE FOUND A 1941 UK CENSUS FOR HALBERTON WITH THE FAMILY OF JOHN LAKE, ELIZABETH, & 8-YEAR OLD JOHN BORN ABOUT 1833. INTERESTINGLY, THERE IS A BERRY FAMILY ON THE SAME PAGE, BUT NOT INCLUDING ANN SLOMAN.

However, this baptism looks likely for the John I've found.

Name: John Lake
              Baptism/Christening Date: 22 Jan 1826
              Baptism/Christening Place: PLYMTREE,DEVON,ENGLAND
              Father's Name: John Lake
              Mother's Name: Elizabeth

Of course, the problem with this is that John's mother was Elizabeth, not Emma!
              AND JOHN’S FATHER WAS ANOTHER JOHN, NOT WILLIAM. BUT I DO HAVE CONFLICTING INFO WHICH SUGGESTS JOHN’S FATHER MAY HAVE BEEN A JOHN, SO ....

The data I have for the Thornbury-Clarksburg Union Cemetery include the following buriels:
              - over 20 Hunts
              - THORNE, John 1848-1921
              - BERRY, Sarah, his wife, 1849-1929
              - LAKE, John died 6 Apr 1889 - age 63 years
              - SLOMAN, Ann, his wife, died 11 Apr 1893 - age 66 years
              - their son LAKE, John husband 1861-1953 and his wife MCGUIRE, Louisa 1867-1962

Thanks for all the help folks!

Comment

I also have William Lake as my dead end search. My William Lake was born about 1824 (maybe Canada or at least he lived in Canada) The only information I have on his wife is that her name was Sarah, this information I got from his son Charles marriage record, so can't be positive. Their son Charles was born in Canada or Michigan. William Henry Lake was my husbands gt. grandfather. Charles is the only child I know of but there may have been more. Charles was married to Ellen Sherlock and lived in Gilman Illinois.
                Oh what a mystery, it has given me a headache for too long.
                Thanks for any information.

Marilynn Lake

Comment

Sadly Marilynn, your Wm Lake doesn't sound familiar. I've spent the best part of the winter trying to resolve my problem ggrandparents, but with no luck. I've finally given up & moved on with hopes that sooner or later they'll pop up.

In the course of my searches though, I did come across two headstones I don't think are my William Lake but are similar dates. They are both in the Sandhill+, Battersea, Storrington Twp. Cemetery, Frontenac County, Ontario Cemetery. One is inscribed: William Lake, 1811-1901; the other is for John M. Lake who died ? 2, 1883? in his 73d year. I did find a large and well documented Lake family in the Frontenac County.

Good luck!

Comment

Thank you so much for your answer. I too am just about ready to move on, but still stubbornly trying to find him. I will do some looking into Frontenac Co. info.
                    Good luck to you also.

Comment

So, months later, I hear from a cousin who, along with his father & my mother, had put together the original data from which the names of William Lake & Emma Court had come. I asked him where those names had come from because I had searched high & low & been unable to verify them. He didn't know; he said that was his father's research (we're likely talking 1950-1970 research). Anyhow, what this cousin had found were handwritten notes in Emma Lake Hunt's recently discovered family bible. These notes identified her father John Lake (01 Jan 1826), his siblings along with all DoBs & DoDs where applicable, and the father of them all, John Lake (26 Dec 1794). There was brother William Lake born in 1820, but no Emma Court. In short, the old family research was in error. (I know, I know ....)

Needless to say, with Emma's father & gfather's DoB & the names, names & DoB of nine siblings, I've been having considerable success tracking the family!

I thought it worth while to post the answer to this question ... now that I've found it.

Comment

Oh thanks for letting us know I recall we all got in quite a knot trying to sort this one out before

Margaret

Comment

Working...
                        X