Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

William Lake (about 1811- ) and Emma Court (about 1811 - 1895)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
    I just tried that link and it told me my IP was blocked - do you have to be in Canada to use the site?

Margaret

thats odd Margaret, I clicked on the link and saw it ok, I wonder if its a browser issue? i'm using Chrome..
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
      thats odd Margaret, I clicked on the link and saw it ok, I wonder if its a browser issue? i'm using Chrome..
      Me too for Chrome! I'll have another go.

Margaret

Comment

Why was your maternal great grandmother named Emma Lake Hunt? Surely her name should just have been Emma Lake?
        Her name was Emma Lake. She married a Hunt. One branch of the Hunt family stayed in England; another went to Canada.

Yes, I'm well aware that family info can be very misleading. My mother's genealogy notes indicate where Emma Court is buried in Canada, with her date of dath & age (given to the year, month & date). Still, I'd doubt that info except the son John & his family is buried there. But you're right, it's not conclusive until I find the grave or death cert, which I haven't been able to yet. That's why I'm wondering if she remarried.

Yes, I've found many of the census documents--undoubtedly some are the ones I'm looking for, but some are also the Utah family.

I'm sure the Utah family are not mine because we have no indication at all they went there, because the dates are all slightly off, and because I am sure of daughters Emma & Mary's birth dates & they don't match those of the Utah family. Also, I've found evidence of the Utah daughter Emma's married name--and it isn't Hunt.

Clematised, thank you for both of those. That is the Emma in question. I've spent some time on FamilySearch but am not fully conversant with it so this helps.

Comment

Have you got Emma and her son John on any census in Canada? Do you know when they arrived in Canada?

For the 'other' Lake family have you tracked them in the UK before they arrived in USA? I was wondering if they did live near to each other as that is how I came across the census refs I have given. If they were nearby then we should be able to see them both at the same time in the census records.

If you have a date and place of death perhaps you could just apply to that state for a copy of the death cert, even if you can't see it online it must be there.

Margaret

Comment

Is this your John Lake and family on the 1861 census?

LAKE, John Head Married M 36 1825 Agricultural Labourer Plymtree Devon
            LAKE, Ann Wife Married F 39 1822 Uplowman Devon
            BERRY, Sarah Daughter In Law F 12 1849 Scholar Halberton Devon
            BERRY, Robert Son In Law M 11 1850 Scholar Halberton Devon
            LAKE, Ann Daughter F 7 1854 Scholar Halberton Devon
            LAKE, Emma Daughter F 4 1857 Scholar Halberton Devon
            LAKE, Eliza Daughter F 2 1859 Scholar Halberton Devon
            LAKE, John Son M 0 (3M) 1861 Halberton Devon

Ann Sloman married John Berry Q3 1848 Tiverton
            Ann Berry married John Lake Q4 1853

I've tried to trace this John back through the 1851 and 1841 census but unfortunately he doesn't appear with his parents.

However, this baptism looks likely for the John I've found.

Name: John Lake
            Baptism/Christening Date: 22 Jan 1826
            Baptism/Christening Place: PLYMTREE,DEVON,ENGLAND
            Father's Name: John Lake
            Mother's Name: Elizabeth

Of course, the problem with this is that John's mother was Elizabeth, not Emma!
            Last edited by Breckland Jane; 19-02-12, 14:30.

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post
              Do you have a death cert or registration for John? An obit?

Where did he die?
              Do you mind sharing this info? &/or the dates & places for Emma?

Comment

I have checked again and cannot see any other Emma Lake b1811 Bishops Nympton in the censuses for North Molton or Devon generally.

Margaret

Comment

Ok, lots of good info coming in here fast. I'll give a short response, then take more time to look for some more complete answers.

Breckland Jane, that is the family! We need to talk! If you are on Ancestry you can have a look at my tree. I'll PM you though.

PhotoFamily, the link you posted to the memorial is for the Utah Emma Court. I'm aware of it. As for the ON grave/cemetary site, yes I've searched there. I can't find Emma Court Lake but have found John Lake & Ann Sloman's grave in Ontario, along with their son John's. I also have solid evidence of my ggrandmother Emma Lake Hunt's life in England & Ontario. Yes, I share. What in particular were you looking for?
                  Last edited by Prairie Chicken; 19-02-12, 15:40.

Comment

Right - is this your Emma Lake b1844 as a servant in 1861? http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...=&pid=18924389

Did she marry in England or abroad?

One of the Utah family trees has her marrying a Ridd and that is the name of one of the people in the household in 1861.

Margaret

Comment

Here's a marriage that would fit this Emma Lake

Emma Lake
                      Date of Registration: Apr-May-Jun 1862
                      Registration district: South Molton
                      Inferred County: Devonshire
                      Volume Number: 5b
                      Page Number: 803

On the page there is William Ridd and William Kidd so some confusion as to his name. There's also a Mary Ann Ridd/Kidd on the same page with James Muxworthy as the other male.

I think you said your Emma married a Hunt - was that in Devon?

Margaret

Comment

1871 census

LAKE, John Head M 45 1826 Devon
                        LAKE, Ann Wife F 47 1824 Devon
                        BERRY, Robert Step-Son M 20 1851 Devon
                        LAKE, Eliza Daughter F 12 1859 Devon
                        LAKE, John Son M 9 1862 Devon
                        LAKE, Mary E Daughter F 3 1868 Devon

Daughter Emma is not at home, but daughter Mary's age matches up with your info.

Comment

My Emma Lake Hunt (daughter of John Lake 1833-1889) was born 30 Jan 1856 in Halberton, Devon; married John William Hunt (1855-1901) 30 Jan 1875 in Battersea, London, England; then appears on Cdn. census 1881, 1891, and 1901, married Henry Isaacs in 1907, and died 12 Apr 1940 in Ontario. My Ontario cousin advises she is buried in the Thornbury-Clarksburg Union Cemetery but I don't have further evidence of that.

My info on the Utah Emma Lake had her marrying a Ridd. FamilySearch shows that Emma died 02 Feb 1916 and is buried in SLC.
                          Last edited by Prairie Chicken; 19-02-12, 16:20.

Comment

The cemetery has been cataloged, book is not online:

Bruce Grey area should have obits - have you tried to track one down? There's a very active gen group in that area

and they've indexed many records

Comment

Findagrave does have a webpage for the cemetery - you could create the memorial page and request a photo. Volunteers will usually photo any/all in surrounding graves if requested, sometimes even look up obits.
                              Find 6945 memorial records at the Thornbury-Clarksburg Union Cemetery cemetery in The Blue Mountains, Ontario. Add a memorial, flowers or photo.

Comment

There's this marriage in Ontario

Emma Lake
                                Spouse Name: Robert Clavere Clark
                                Marriage Date: 26 May 1876
                                Marriage Location: Picton
                                Registration number: 64780

Comment

The more I look at this, the more it seems to me that your John (who appears to have been born in 1826) is not the son of William Lake and Emma Court. They had a son John born in 1833 who seems to have married Mary Ann Lyle.

1861 Census

LAKE, John Head Married M 28 1833 Agricultural Labourer North Molton Devon
                                  LAKE, Mary Ann Wife Married F 38 1823 Tiverton Devon
                                  LAKE, Maria Daughter F 11 1850 Tiverton Devon
                                  LAKE, Sarah Daughter F 8 1853 Tiverton Devon
                                  LAKE, John Son M 5 1856 Uplowman Devon
                                  LAKE, Mary Daughter F 2 1859 Uplowman Devon
                                  Last edited by Breckland Jane; 19-02-12, 17:15.

Comment

familysearch has birth of two children to John Lake & Emma Hunt, as well as the death of one child
                                    https://familysearch.org/search/records/index#count=20&query=%2Bsurname%3Ahunt~ %2Bbirth_place%3A"ontario%2C canada"~ %2Bbirth_year%3A1875-1895~ %2Bfather_givenname%3A"john william"~ %2Bfather_surname%3Ahunt~ %2Bmother_givenname%3Aemma~ %2Bmother_surname%3Alake~

And keep going down that page, there are possibly two infant deaths that might be related.
                                    Last edited by PhotoFamily; 19-02-12, 17:23.

Comment

Not finding her death indexed on familysearch. Think you'll have to pay for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Breckland Jane View Post
                                        The more I look at this, the more it seems to me that your John (who appears to have been born in 1826) is not the son of William Lake and Emma Court. They had a son John born in 1833 who seems to have married Mary Ann Lyle.

1861 Census

LAKE, John Head Married M 28 1833 Agricultural Labourer North Molton Devon
                                        LAKE, Mary Ann Wife Married F 38 1823 Tiverton Devon
                                        LAKE, Maria Daughter F 11 1850 Tiverton Devon
                                        LAKE, Sarah Daughter F 8 1853 Tiverton Devon
                                        LAKE, John Son M 5 1856 Uplowman Devon
                                        LAKE, Mary Daughter F 2 1859 Uplowman Devon
                                        It is the John b1833 that Prairie Chicken says is her ancestor see post #32.

I may have confused matters with posting the censuses earlier on which may not now be correct.

Margaret

Comment

Ancestry.co.uk has free access to Canadian BMDs today so I'm looking on there at the moment and have found a death for a William Lake in 1893 age 85 which would be about right. http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...c=&pid=1806008

Margaret
                                          Last edited by margaretmarch; 19-02-12, 17:32.

Comment

Working...
                                          X