Have I got the right Percy Chambers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have I got the right Percy Chambers?

Can someone please see if I have the correct Percy Chambers.

Is it just a mistake that he has put his father's name as Charles and not Alfred?

--------------------------------------------

Marriage between Percy Harry Chambers & Edith Lucy Colenutt - 30th March 1912, Ryde, Isle of Wight.

Taken from Ancestry:

Name: Percy Harry Chambers
    Birth Date: abt 1889
    Father's Name: Charles Chambers
    Spouse's Name: Edith Lucy Colenutt
    Spouse's Age: 31
    Spouse's Father's Name: Charles Colenutt
    Marriage Date: 30 Mar 1912
    Marriage Place: Ryde, Hampshire, England

I do not have the certificate.

------------------------------------------------

Edith Lucy Colenutt is the daughter of my GG Grandmother's sister, Lucy and Charles Colenutt. She was born 1880 in Ventnor, Isle of Wight.

Percy Harry Chambers is the son of my Grandparents, Alfred & Eugenie Kate Chambers. He was born 1891 in Newport, Isle of Wight.

1911 census Percy and his sister Florence have the surname Reynolds and are living in South Lambeth, London with mother Kate and step-father James Reynolds.

If this Percy Chambers is the correct one then he is Edith's 1st cousin.

----------------------------------------------

Percy was killed in WWI

CHAMBERS
    Initials: P H
    Nationality: United Kingdom
    Regiment/Service: East Surrey Regiment
    Unit Text: 12th Bn.
    Secondary Unit Text: transf. to (67007) 739th Area Employment Coy.
    Date of Death: 14/02/1919
    Service No: C/39272
    Additional information: Husband of Edith Lucy Chambers, of 28, Elcot Avenue, Peckham, London.
    Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
    Grave/Memorial Reference: XIII. D. 9.
    Cemetery: TERLINCTHUN BRITISH CEMETERY, WIMILLE

--------------------------------------------------------

I have found another Percy Chambers with father Charles but he was also killed in WWI and it says he was married to someone else. So it's not him.

Hope you can understand this.
    Last edited by WendyPusey; 12-02-12, 14:21. Reason: changed mother's name
    Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Percy Harry Chambers is the son of my Grandparents, Alfred & Mary Ellen Chambers. He was born 1891 in Newport, Isle of Wight.

1911 census Percy and his sister Florence have the surname Reynolds and are living in South Lambeth, London with mother Kate and step-father James Reynolds.

Just looking at that you say Percy's parents are Alfred and Mary Ellen but then in 1911 you say he is with mother Kate??

Why do you think that could be him?
    Margaret

Comment

Sorry Margaret, I should have put Eugenie Kate. Mary Ellen was there daughter.
      Wendy

Comment

I have just been having a look and I can see why you have doubts.

The age for Percy on the marriage record doesn't match with that of the one you have as son to Alfred and Kate who would have been 21 in 1912 but given the spouse is so much older maybe he 'aged' himself a bit.

Margaret

Comment

Found the 1911 you have referred to but there is no Florence on there, just Percy and Harry Basil b1898 presumably to the second husband Henry James Reynolds.

Margaret

Comment

I haven't actually got the 1911 census. This info was given to me by a 3rd party.
            Wendy

Comment

this is 1911

Florence is NOT living with the family in Lambeth
              Julie
              They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

She is in 1901 though http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...=&pid=15409809 so taken together that shows your Percy Harry Chambers aka Reynolds is the same person but is he the one who marries Edith Lucy.

I think he must be as there are no other better candidates and the discrepancy on the age is explainable by the difference with Edith's age and I wonder if he really knew his father much as he seems to have been with Mr Reynolds for quite some time so maybe got mixed up as to his father's name.

There is of course also the possibility that since Edith's father's name is given as Charles that the registrar made a mistake.

Margaret

Comment

Thanks for the census Julie.

Margaret, Percy's father died when he was 3, and Mr Reynolds was a lodger in the house before he was born, so he would have known him for a long time.
                  Last edited by WendyPusey; 12-02-12, 16:20.
                  Wendy

Comment

i did notice that Henry was in the same house in 1891 with the Chambers family.. http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...ki1891&indiv=1

I did notice though that there were two Percy chambers births in 1891 on IOW.. one Percy Harry and one Percy Leigh..
                    Julie

Comment

I think though that it might be a case of the registrar just writing Charles twice as a mistake, I mean if Percy was only small when his dad died, he might not have remembered his name and not wanting to put his step dads name as he knew that wasn't legally his biological father?
                      Julie

Comment

Working...
                      X