No announcement yet.

Charley & Rose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think that it IS Charley behind Solomon, also can anyone refresh my memory, who exactly wears corsages at weddings? is it immediate family only? reason I ask is that the chap behind Ethel? could that be James Driscoll? then the two men at the back top.. could they be Bill/Jack Ward?
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

• Good call Julie sorry I don't know about corsages so can't help but this could be the best photo ever for me and contain loads of ancestors!!!!!!!

Do you think the man at the far left could be Solomon's father Solomon? He was a lighterman and looks a bit like the groom?

Thanks for your help

Steven

PS the numbers of bridesmaids match the number of Ward sisters and the remaining one I would guess at Florence Smith (Solomon's sister).

Ann also came back and said Clara IS second from left like we thought and the wee girl is May Driscoll but no word on the lad yet
      Last edited by stevie2006; 10-03-12, 08:42.

Comment

• Corsage
        A small arrangement of flowers that is either pinned to a woman's dress or worn around her wrist. Corsages are often worn by the mothers and grandmothers of the bride and groom at a wedding ceremony.

men generally would wear 'Buttonholes'..

re Solomon am having a look at the picture
        Julie

Comment

• Hi Steven
          Charlie can't be in the photo. If you look at his service records he was in France when the wedding took place.
          Moggie

Comment

• not sure, I guess its possible.. about it being Solomons dad, though I would have thought that maybe he would have been standing nearer to him.
            Julie

Comment

• Maybe back on leave moggie?

Away to have a good look at his service record

Steven

You are right Moggie he didn't come back until May 1918 but it doesn't mention any leave in his service record like it does in Solomon's (his is more detailed) and I wonder if thats something you would have got leave for a few days? I don't want to make anything up just for convenience so if its not him I still have another photo but was just trying to make find out some of the identities of the family and he looked very similar
              Last edited by stevie2006; 10-03-12, 09:15.

Comment

• Just to give an update on Rose - I now know that she died on 4th May 1969 and that she is buried in Chadwell Heath but absolutely NO luck tracing her husband William Adie (sometimes spelt Adey). On the grave stone is her stone Eric Leonard Adie but no mention of William. Spent hours looking for his death but nothing - would anyone have any other suggestions?

I am guessing they were still married as she still kept the name Adie at her death. She couldn't have remarried. Is it worth ordering her certificate in case he was the informant? I would have thought if he died after Rose he would have been buried with her so I am now thinking he died first was maybe cremated or buried somewhere else and then when she died a new stone erected?

Steven

PS No luck or response from any potential living relatives
                Last edited by stevie2006; 15-03-12, 21:30.

Comment

• Originally posted by stevie2006 View Post
                  Just to give an update on Rose - I now know that she died on 4th May 1969 and that she is buried in Chadwell Heath but absolutely NO luck tracing her husband William Adie (sometimes spelt Adey). On the grave stone is her stone Eric Leonard Adie but no mention of William. Spent hours looking for his death but nothing - would anyone have any other suggestions?

I am guessing they were still married as she still kept the name Adie at her death. She couldn't have remarried. Is it worth ordering her certificate in case he was the informant? I would have thought if he died after Rose he would have been buried with her so I am now thinking he died first was maybe cremated or buried somewhere else and then when she died a new stone erected?

Steven

PS No luck or response from any potential living relatives

Whatever the order of the deaths of Rose and William you should still be able to see his death in the index if he died in the UK.

Do you have any sightings of him in ERs or information from elsewhere that might give a start point for looking for his death or him leaving UK.

I think I would be inclined to get the death cert for Rose to see if she was a widow or not at the time of her death.

Margaret

Comment

• Yep, I agree with Margaret, see if her cert lists her as a Widow or not.
                    Julie

Comment

• lol steve, i would of thought by now, you'd just get the certs, regardless of whether you need the info to progress or not!

Comment

• Do you know when William was born Steven? If he was a lot older than Rose there is a death for a William Adie in July-Sept 1972 in Havering. It says born 28th Dec 1874.

OOPS - sorry - I should have looked back a page before I posted. I see the marriage cert is there and it's the wrong age. To add insult to injury I had already posted this same death before we had the cert and knew his age. Shall I go back to bed and start again :o
                        Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 16-03-12, 11:08.
                        Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

• Don't tell my OH but thats the cert for Rose ordered lol

Kylejustin you know me too well by now!!!!!!! Seriously my wife doesn't mind as it keeps me out of mischief!!!!!!

Chrissie that ones looks good as Rose died in Havering - I wonder if they just got the year of birth wrong?

Will keep you posted thanks again for all your help

PS The photo's keep coming from Ann and Amanda - SO glad you all encouraged me to make contact with living relatives - I was a bit apprehensive at first but its been fantastic - THANKS

Steven

Comment

• Hi received the death certificate for Sarah Pettit (Pettit) and its the right one - she died on 2nd December 1918 in West Ham. Address was 12 Blanche Street I think. The informant was none other than Clara Driscoll!!!!

However looking through my records I found out that I don't have Sarah in the 1901 or 1911 censuses and wondered if anyone can help? Had a good look and can't find her

In 1881 she is age 41 a Charwoman with Clara aged 12, Edward aged 9 and Harriett aged 1 - they were living at 15 Copperfield Road, Mile End Old Town. I now the husband Jonathan was in the workhouse

In 1891 she is age 51 living with Edward aged 19 a butchers assistant and Harriett aged 10 - they are living at 57 Quickett Street (I think) in Bromley

No sign in 1901 or 1911 - the surname is Pettit but is noted various ways eg Pettitt, Pettet, Pettit.

Can anyone help

Thanks

Steven

Oops wrong thread will move it to the right one - sorry!!!!
                            Last edited by stevie2006; 22-03-12, 20:46.

Comment

• Sorry to drag up a really old post but I received some fantastic news today from the In From The Cold Peoject. Charley Ward has officially been recognised as a WW1 casualty of war and will be listed soon on the Commonwealth War Graves Commission.

The email I received today said "he is now an official WW1 casualty and CWGC must commemorate him forever more by law. The United Kingdom Book of Remembrance is CWGC's virtual memorial for accepted names which are awaiting grave inspection. By using this temporary commemoration they can announce the commemoration at least a year before they could otherwise. Previously, they would have waited another year or so until they had completed the grave inspection before confirming his commemoration.

The grave site is known it will be passed to CWGC's UK area for inspection. If it is unmarked, CWGC would erect an official war grave headstone. However in this cemetery it may not be possible due or the nature of that area of the cemetery. I suspect they will decide to engrave his name on the screen wall memorial there provided for the War grave names that cannot be marked individually.

Well done in spotting this man and helping to bring him in from the cold"

Absolutely delighted and I cannot thank everyone who helped me find Charley enough. Thank you so much

Steven

Comment

• I have not been involved in this research - but well done Steve and all for getting recognition with CWGC etc.
                                I can tell you are chuffed and so you should be.
                                Good result.
                                herky
                                Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

• thats great Steven am pleased for you

Comment

• Brilliant news, Steven. Told dad today, he was really interested. Thanks for your time on this.

Amanda

Comment

• Thanks folks. I checked the CWGC site and he is now officially listed which is fantastic.

Charles Harold Ward regimental number 211481

Just need to wait and see if the CWGC can erect a headstone which would be amazing

Steven

Comment

• Originally posted by stevie2006 View Post
                                        Thanks folks. I checked the CWGC site and he is now officially listed which is fantastic.

Charles Harold Ward regimental number 211481

Just need to wait and see if the CWGC can erect a headstone which would be amazing

Steven

well done that man!! x
                                        Last edited by Darksecretz; 17-08-14, 11:03.
                                        Julie

Comment

• Thanks Julie really pleased. It doesn't look like a headstone will be erected but I think he will be added to wall of remembrance.

Steven

Comment

Working...
                                          X