Charley & Rose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charley & Rose

After the success with my Clara Ward I now wanted to start a final Ward thread for the last two unknowns - Charley & Rose and here is what I know so far

* Charles Harold Ward born 8th October 1896 parents Charles William Ward and Clara Pettit

We think Charles died during the War but as to whether that was WW1 as a soldier or WW2 as maybe a civilian I can't be sure. The gravestone which has fallen over which has Charles' name on it might help. My new contact who is related to May Driscoll (Clara's younger daughter) says that she has a photo of Charley in a uniform which she will send in due course and that might help. Clara's 2nd husband James Driscoll served with the Grenadier Guards in WW1 and I thought Charles may have served there too but nothing on ancestry. No sign of a marriage or a likely death and a thorough search has been done of the CWGC by some of the members so looks like a brick wall for the meantime.

* Rose Agnes born 10 Sept 1897 parents Charles William Ward and Clara Pettit

I think as per an earlier thread that Rose was on the 1911 census living with a lady called Elizabeth Challand, b Old Somerby Lincilnshire. They are living at Old Dalby in Melton Mowbray. However I cannot find her again!!!

Amanda recently had another look at her late uncles address book and came across 2 new Roses listed in it as well as a previous Rose - they are

1. Rose Millard at flat 40 Inglewood, New Barn Park., Swanley, Kent.

2. Rose & Sid Privett ------- (There is a marriage of a Sydney Privett to a Rose A Franklin in 1937 in Camberwell and a death of a Rose Amy Privett born 15th Jan 1916 died 2003 in Kent.) This might dispel this couple.

3. Rose Smart (this is the previous one we looked at) - in the address book it also has Rose and Grace (aka Dolly Phillips) with the same phone number like they stayed together and there is a page that says Rose Smart & Doll, 27 Kent House Lane, Beckenham, Kent SE22.

There also seems to be a date for a birthday given as 29th May but that doesn't tally up Roses date of birth that we know of but if there are two Roses that would explain the different date.

That is as much as I know so far and wondered if anyone can weave their magic to locate the last two?

Steven
    Last edited by Darksecretz; 09-02-12, 07:34. Reason: adding info..

ok lets start the ball rollin'

1911 Cens ROSE

Source Citation: Class: RG14; Piece: 19331.

Steve, if you want to it might be an idea to correct the POB for Rose, you never know, it might give you a contact at a later date..
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

I think you might be able to eliminate the Privetts'. There is a marriage of a Sydney Privett to a Rose A Franklin in 1937 in Camberwell and a death of a Rose Amy Privett born 15th Jan 1916 died 2003 in Kent.
      Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Have you noticed Julie that they have transcribed Whitechapel as being in Lancashire

Comment

Hi Julie now I am beginning to wonder if that 1911 census is right if the pob is wrong? These flipping Ward's are a nighmare to find!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Chrissie thanks for ruling out that one

My heart seems to favour the Rose Smart as it would make sense she is living with her sister Dolly (Grace) -I wonder if she married someone else first then a Smart - it wouldn't surprise me as many of the Ward ladies have remarried!!!!

Steven

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
            Have you noticed Julie that they have transcribed Whitechapel as being in Lancashire
            yep, which is why I suggested that Steve 'corrects' it.. as it does say E London, Whitechapel... on the image..lol!
            Julie

Comment

Oh I think it's probably her Steven. Maybe Whitechapel was the only place in London that Elizabeth Challand had heard of or perhaps Rose wasn't sure where she was born.

Comment

yep I agree that is the right one... just the pob thats wrong.. :smilee:
                Julie

Comment

Why would she have been sent so far away - Melton Mowbray is over 100 miles from Ilford - was that normal practice?

Steven

Comment

Maybe it was a relative/friend of the family?

Comment

This doesn't discount Millard because there are other possibilities but I found a Rose jessie Millard death in 2002 in Gravesend Kent (Close to Swanley) - born 6th Sept 1911. The marriage looks to have been Rose J Glenister to an Edward Millard.

Comment

Originally posted by stevie2006 View Post
                        Why would she have been sent so far away - Melton Mowbray is over 100 miles from Ilford - was that normal practice?

Steven
                        I have no idea why she was sent so far, maybe it was that the 'air' was better there? maybe there was a place as a servant somewhere that way? don't suppose we will ever know.

I did have a thought though, IF they had a phone, can you not check the phone books on Ancestry and track at least the years they were at that address/addresses?
                        Julie

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                          I think you might be able to eliminate the Privetts'. There is a marriage of a Sydney Privett to a Rose A Franklin in 1937 in Camberwell and a death of a Rose Amy Privett born 15th Jan 1916 died 2003 in Kent.
                          Steven, you might like to make a note of this on your header post, (next to the names)...so people dont start looking for them... :smilee:

I can do it for you, but thought you might like to do it.
                          Julie

Comment

Blimey, I knew there were a lot of wards but it wasn't until I started looking for deaths of ANY surname of Rose A and Rose Agnes born around the right time that I realised how may of them there were too If you count the Agnes Rose ones as well (many people swapped their names over) the number rises. Just imagine how many Rose deaths there are

Comment

Do we have any idea of when Rose might have died - has there been any reference to her after 1911?
                              Elaine

Comment

Have you looked under Charles Driscoll for his death?

Comment

Can you tell me why we think Dolly is Grace please? Is she listed as Dolly Phillips or something? I can't find a death for a Grace Phillips with a close birth date to late 1901 in Kent.
                                  p.s. Do we have an actual birth date for Grace please?
                                  Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 08-02-12, 21:21.

Comment

In ref to Charley Steve said this in one of his other threads Hi Chrissie I spoke to my dad again and he definitely remembers an uncle Charley who the brother of his grandmother Isabella. My dad was born in 1947 and he reckons he was a young boy so Charley must have been living into at least the 1950's

Steven

So something to bear in mind.

Margaret

Comment

Steve, if you haven't already got it are you considering getting Charley's birth cert at all?

Margaret

Comment

from a previous post ...
                                        Hi Chrissie I spoke to my dad again and he definitely remembers an uncle Charley who the brother of his grandmother Isabella. My dad was born in 1947 and he reckons he was a young boy so Charley must have been living into at least the 1950's

So therefore not killed in the war?
                                        Elaine

Comment

Working...
                                        X