John Edward Reynolds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Edward Reynolds

i'm looking for John Edward Reynolds parent he was born 10/12/1917 in Muncie, Indiana?

Hi, Tammy -
    Welcome to FTF!

US Birth/Marriage/Death (BMD) records are scattered, usually state by state. I know you can order Indiana birth records, & I think they would cost ~$8 per record online. I'm not the person who ordered them, tho, so I'm not sure of the website.

It's possible (but I don't think probable) that they're online on ancestry. They would sign you up for two weeks free - make sure you cancel before the actual subscription starts. They won't warn you before they charge your card.

www.familysearch.org has indexed US censuses, and some years actually include online access to the record. 1920 is not one of those years. But I suspect this is the correct record:
    familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/MFQT-7TR

Do you recognize any of the names in the household? Remember that a 1917 birth that occurred after the census was taken, will appear as 1918, because the census only asked age.

Your local library may provide census access online thru HeritageQuest, or in library thru ancestry.com

It's worth a walk thru the FTF reference section to check resources.

BTW - a date format of DD MMM YYYY removes ambiguity between US and non-US date formats!

More later
    Sarah
    Last edited by PhotoFamily; 28-01-12, 05:59.

Comment

oh, and -
      Do you know where/when he died? Obituaries can provide a treasurer trove of information

Comment

Here is the 1920 US census for John http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...fedcen&indiv=1

Seems to be with grandparents and possibly mother but you need to look carefully as the relationships are not clear.

Margaret

Comment

Having checked back through the censuses it looks as though Ella Hill is John's mother and the household they are shown in 1920 is that of her mother Viola Hill nee ? who was widowed and married Thomas Tru(e)blood and then Charles Gustin.

You can find this through ancestry looking back through the census to link it all together.

I can't see the marriage for Ella Hill to a Reynolds so you will need to search for that to find John's father's name.

Margaret

Comment

The Indiana Records on ancestry do not seem to cover the county of Muncie :(

Margaret
            Last edited by margaretmarch; 28-01-12, 09:18.

Comment

Here's John in 1930 US census http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...=&pid=93265534 his mother is now married to Frank C Robinson.

Margaret

Comment

his death is May, 1, 1993

Comment

Tammy -
                  There's now a tree on ancestry that has him, labelled "for Tammy." I think it's owned by an ID with "wilson" in the name. Do you have access to ancestry, is that your tree?

I think this is his memorial page on Findagrave:

If you don't already have a photo of the grave, you can create a login for Findagrave and request a photo of it.

You can try contacting a local public library, or historical society or genealogical society to see if they can find an obit for him. Sometimes there'a a small fee. Some ask for a donation. The Escondido library seemed surprised that I gave a donation!

If you request a findagrave photo, you might at the same time, ask for obit sources in the area. Some volunteers are quite knowledgeable and helpful.

Do you think the tree is accurate? Or the census records that Margaret has found? Are you able to create an Ancestry account as I mentioned above?

Comment

that would be my tree buy i don't have paid access right now, i know every thin on John E Reynolds, but my husband don't known any then passed his grandfather
                    Last edited by Tammy L Reynolds; 29-01-12, 03:52.

Comment

Originally posted by Tammy L Reynolds View Post
                      that would be my tree buy i don't have paid access right now, i know every thin on John E Reynolds, but my husband don't known any then passed his grandfather
                      My ancestry sub isn't active either.

Ok, your statement leaves me somewhat confused: John is your husband's ancestor? And, as stated in #1, you're looking for information about John's parents?

I thought the tree had at least the father of John?

I agree with Margaret, that John is living with his mother in 1920: That would make Ella Reynolds his mother, and, most likely, Viola Gustin his grandmother.

A quick look using familysearch and heritage quest did not yield Ella Hill or Evert Hill in the 1910 census, nor did I find Viola Hill.

Tammy, are you unable to afford buying any certificates? I'd recommend going first for the birth certificate - it will at least list his mother's name, but probably his father's, too; second his death certificate should list both parents' names. Death certs are a little less certain - if the "informant" didn't know the information, the fields will be marked unknown.

His SSN was issued in CA, but I would guess that was after WWII. He enlisted, so there's no draft reg (I looked earlier when I was in the library).

So, if you're not buying certs, you'll have to rely on census records. Ideally, you'd find his mother in the 1910 census - it appears Ella & Evert are siblings, which might be traceable

Just found Evert, living with Viola Trublood in the 1910. Viola reported she was a widow.

Ah, here's Viola with her family and a subsequent husband in 1900. 1900 gives birth month and year!

Comment

Possible progress:
                        In the 1900 census, Viola's children are living with her, including William Hill, born 1884.

There is a marriage of William Hill, s/o Viola Johnson and William Hill. I think they would be John Edward Hill's maternal grandparents.

More later, but consider ordering the certs.
                        Last edited by PhotoFamily; 29-01-12, 07:11.

Comment

oh, and there's a pedigree tree in familysearch with everett in it:
                          Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

Comment

There's a problem:
                            in the 1920 census, when Ella is living with her mother, her eldest child Royal was born in 1912. There's a very good chance that she married after the 1910 census, and her husband was out of their lives by 1920 (she reported in 1920 that she was married). You won't catch him in census with her.

Ella remarried by the 1930:
                            Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

So, if you want John's father's info, you need to buy a cert.

And, of course, there may also be divorce records that may be interesting.

g'night
                            Last edited by PhotoFamily; 29-01-12, 07:51.

Comment

I would point out, however, that I haven't found Ella in the 1910 - can anyone else?

Comment

I see on the 1900 Census record that Photofamily found that there is a Reynolds family listed on the same page - so neighbours of the Hill family !!

Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post
                                  oh, and there's a pedigree tree in familysearch with everett in it:
                                  https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.2.1/M7KC-K2V
                                  Pity that tree doesn't show any of Everett's siblings.

Margaret

Comment

There are several trees on ancestry

1. John Hamilton of Concord Family Tree, Owner: Teresa Rust

2. Ward Family Tree, Owner: ward12240

3. ROLLINGS Family Tree, Owner: rrollingsdna

4. Prillaman-Armstrong Family Tree Owner: Alice Armstrong

Even if you only have the 2 weeks free sub you could contact all these tree owners to see if they can help.

Margaret

Comment

On the ancestry tree: Wilson for Tammy Owner: wilsont37 they have this as the person who married Ella Hill and shown as father for John Edward b1917

Richard Alonzo REYNOLDS
                                      Birth 29 Nov 1866 in Indiana
                                      Death 1 Aug 1944 in Sacramento, Sacramento, California, USA

It seems well researched as it has full dates for births and deaths for the people in it.

Margaret

Comment

Right - I checked back and see that the tree Wilson for Tammy is yours and you have John Reynolds birth and parents and paternal grandparents.

We have now found maternal grandparents Viola Johnson and William Hill so you need to go back in the census looking for them to find their parents.

Margaret

Comment

Working...
                                        X