Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transferring FTM to new computer

Hello Everyone,

At the moment I have FTM 2009 installed on my computer which I back-up regularly. My computer is playing up and so I will have to buy a new one soon. Can someone advise me please. When my new computer arrives do I simply install the original disc and then load my back-up disc? Sorry if this is a silly question, but I'm useless when it comes to computers

I was also wondering what I would have to do if I wished to change to a later version of FTM, having the 2009 version already installed.

Any help would be appreciated. Many Thanks,

Catie

hello Catiel,

if you have a memory stick, create a GEDCOM and save that to it, (not sure if you can do the same with a backup?) BUT, if you do buy a new puter and it is 64bit windows 7, then you will need to buy FTM2011/2012 as the older version/s will not work with 64 bit.

and as a side note, once you have imported your old GEDCOM to 2011/2012 you will not be able to use that on any older version of FTM, (what I mean is, if you have say FTM2005 on one puter, and FTM2012 on another, you can move the GEDCOM from 2005-2012 but not 2012-2005. for some reason it alters how it reads.. so you can't use it on previous incarnations...
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Create a backup of Family Tree Maker on your old computer - put this on a CD or memory stick.

Install FTM on your new computer - you can use either the 2009 disc or a later version (e.g. 2012) if you prefer, it wont make any difference.
      When you have installed the program on your computer the first page you see will ask you if you want to import an existing tree - which you do. Just point out where the file is, e.g. on the CD or memory stick, and FTM will open it for you.

It's very easy to do and you shouldn't have any problems transferring your data from one machine to the other.
      Elaine

Comment

all I have done with mine is to install the new FTM disc and then import the GEDCOM from my memory stick to the new program. (maybe if you havent got a memory stick but you have an online tree you could export a GEDCOM from that to FTM?)
        Last edited by Darksecretz; 25-01-12, 21:45.
        Julie

Comment

oops cross posted there Elaine! :smilee:
          Julie

Comment

Just as a follow up to Julie's comments, if you have photos or images attached to your existing tree you would be better off creating a backup rather than GEDCOM.
            Backup would include the transfer of images, GEDCOM is purely data.
            Elaine

Comment

Hello Julie,

Thank you for your reply and explanation - everything is so much clearer now. I do have the data on a memory disc and so I will 'try' to create a GEDCOM - fingers crossed lol

Many thanks,

Catie

Comment

Hello Elaine,

Thanks for that info. There are photo's so I will take your advice.

Many thanks,

Catie

Comment

Originally posted by Catiel View Post
                  Hello Julie,

Thank you for your reply and explanation - everything is so much clearer now. I do have the data on a memory disc and so I will 'try' to create a GEDCOM - fingers crossed lol

Many thanks,

Catie
                  Regarding Catiel's post from a long long time ago. Can anyone explain please in very simple terms what is meant by 'creating a GEDCOM'. I understand that gedcom means the transferral of files but it is the 'creating' bit that is confusing me. Thanks in anticipation

Comment

A GEDCOM is a text only version of your tree (it does not include images etc).
                    To create one, you export your tree as a GED file.

It allows you to share your data between different family tree programs or upload to a genealogy site
                    Watch tis video

Researching:
                    FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

It allows you to share your data between different family tree programs or upload to a genealogy site
                      Watch tis video

Originally posted by ewen View Post
                      Regarding Catiel's post from a long long time ago. Can anyone explain please in very simple terms what is meant by 'creating a GEDCOM'. I understand that gedcom means the transferral of files but it is the 'creating' bit that is confusing me. Thanks in anticipation

Researching:
                      FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Originally posted by TrevorFranklin View Post

Watch tis video
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIv2dCVd42Y
                        Thank you TrevorFranklin, I have exported/inported trees within my program but never from one program to another program (program not compatitable with PC) but when I have set myself up with another program I will experiment, thanks again

Comment

Working...
                        X