Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Emigration England --> Canada

Emigration England --> Canada

Can someone give me a lead for Canadian immigration records, or passenger lists, please?

I am searching for Annie Elizabeth Millo (b. abt 1878, nee White) who emigrated to Canada (or so we are told!) after 1907 with her daughter Violet Annie (b.1906) following the early death of her husband (on 18/6/1907).

I have searched using all the resources I can think of, but this is still a significant gap in my records. Any and all guidance will be appreciated. Of course, the question is: did they really go to Canada, or was it USA, or even Australia, and did she remarry and change her name...? I don't' find them on any UK censuses either.

Brian Millo (Havant, UK)

They were still in Islington in 1911, mistranscribed as Mills:

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...c=&pid=2098125
    Last edited by Mary from Italy; 12-01-12 at 14:16.

This is the marriage cert in case you don't have it:

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...c=&pid=3914857

Annie's age of 22 in 1905 matches the age of 28 in 1911.

I can't see an obvious emigration for them, and there's a possible death on Ancestry:

Annie F Millo / abt 1886 / Apr-May-Jun 1931 / Battersea / London

The date and middle initial aren't quite right, but it might be worth investigating in view of the unusual surname.

Can't see an obvious marriage or death for Violet; there's nothing indexed under Millo, and lots unfortunately under Mills.

Annie's on the electoral roll in Islington until 1912:

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...rror&gst=&so=3

No sign of her on the London electoral rolls after that, so she presumably either remarried, moved out of London, or emigrated.

There's also an Annie Florence Millo listed there, who may well be the one whose death I found in 1931.

Langley Vale! (on Epsom Downs, Surrey - near the racecourse)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mary from Italy View Post
    Annie's on the electoral roll in Islington until 1912:

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...rror&gst=&so=3

No sign of her on the London electoral rolls after that, so she presumably either remarried, moved out of London, or emigrated.

There's also an Annie Florence Millo listed there, who may well be the one whose death I found in 1931.
    That Annie Florence is shown in 1922 with an Albert Arthur Millo in Gilbey Road, Tooting, London SW17.

Yes, so I think that death is wrong.

Pity that the latest Canadian census online is 1911.

Langley Vale! (on Epsom Downs, Surrey - near the racecourse)
    There is a 1916 Canadian census of Alberta, Manitoba & Saskatchewan on Ancestry, but I can't find either Annie or Violet on there.
    http://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/DB.aspx?dbid=1556

Yes, I'd forgotten that, but I did do a general search on Ancestry, and nothing came up.

Thank you, LangleyValeSue and Mary from Italy (cosa fai in Italia, Mary? - e dove sei? Ho parenti (de Filippis) a Genova, anche a Cava de' Tirreni, vicino a Salerno...). You are going through the same process as I did, and unfortunately with the same result! South London addresses for "my" Millos are likely to be wrong, as we remained in the Dalston/Hackney/Haggerston/Islington area pretty consistently. I guess that Annie remarried, possibly changing not only her own surname but Violet's as well. I always think of Violet as a little girl of about 6, but of course she'd be 105 now! The story about Canada might also be wrong... . We found the gravestone for Alfred Albert Millo in Abney Park Cemetery (now closed for burials, but indexed), now full of names for the rest of the family - all very moving when you come to remove the thick overgrowth of ivy from the marble. But I'm rambling now... Thanks again - I'll post if I make any progress.