Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Emigration England --> Canada

Ciao Brian, sono in Piemonte, ormai da trent'anni

Ciao, Mary. How well I remember our treks in the 1950s from Moncenisio through Piemonte and into Liguria where we stayed with our Italian cousins in Genova! And we shall be going again this year, as part of a long trek all the way down to Cava de' Tirreni to make sure that we meet as many of the family as we can in various places - including an old friend in Torino whom I haven't seen for nearly 60 years!

(On reading through this after writing it, I see that it's rather long, for which I apologise. But I'm asking only for pointers to locations where I can find the records. I guess that my Italian will be good enough for such enquiries - even in Neapolitan country! - but I know that I can also call on truly bi-lingual friends/family for assistance if I need it.)

During that trek I shall need to look for two historical sources, in particular - perhaps you can advise me on exact locations - both in the South. My g-grandmother was Rosa Genoino "Nobildonna di Napoli", and I believe that her birth record is in the archives in Naples, recording also her parents, Michele G (b. 28/4/1811) and Fortunata Benincasa. Do you know where these archives would be, or would I need to know exactly the commune or frazione? In particular, Fortunata B is very difficult to track down because the surname is so widespread. Unfortunately, the Genoino family in Cava lost most of their records in the earthquake of 1980, so I am trying to fill this particular gap. The librarian in Cava (the excellent Rita Taglè) told me that Rosa G was probably also married in Naples, as there was no record that she could find in Cava.

The second source that I'd like to find is the birth of my mother's cousin Giuliano de Filippis (1914-1993), whose grandson tells me that Giuliano was born in palazzo Reale in Caserta - "because his father, Ferdinando de Filippis (1883-1960) was on the staff there at the time [1914]". How would I find the records of what was going on in those days? Again, would they be in the archives of La Reggia, or in the public offices of Caserta? The father, "uncle Nando", played a significant role in both World Wars, and eventually became Generale di Finanza Grande Ufficiale, so the story is entirely believable. I wish I had asked uncle Nando about it before he died - but I was only a small boy at the time.

Best wishes,
    Brian M.

I'm afraid I'm not really the right person to ask, because I've done hardly any Italian research. All my family are in England and Australia; I have had a go at my OH's tree, as my son was interested, but I haven't got very far with it.
    Next time I go to the LDS centre in Vercelli I can ask, but I'm not sure if the volunteer there knows much about such early research.

I suppose you've tried asking on Italian genealogy forums, like http://www.tuttogenealogia.it ?

Anything pre-1860 is likely to be in either the diocesan archives or the State archives for the area, I should think, other than parish records, which are held by local priests, as I'm sure you know. I'll have a quick google to see if I can find anything.
    Last edited by Mary from Italy; 14-01-12 at 15:43.

Do you know roughly when your great-grandmother was born? Where did the information about her being a nobildonna come from? Her children's birth records?

So far as your mother's cousin goes, I would have thought that his birth would have been registered in the Caserta anagrafe, even if he was born in the Royal Palace, as it was a legal requirement. I would try e-mailing them. If they don't bother replying (which Italian town councils don't always, as you may have discovered), let me know, and I'll phone them for you.

e-mail: settore.servizi.demografici@comune.caserta.it

On the outgoing passenger lists in 1939 there is an Annie MILES born 1880 travelling with Violet MILES born 1906 to Canada. Could this be them?
    Lauren =)

Naples State Archives may well have something for Rosa; I've just had a look at their website, and they hold the Atti dello stato civile 1809-1900 :
    http://patrimonio.archiviodistatonap...=1&hierStatus=

Nothing online, so you'd have to go in person.

That sounds promising, Lauren, well done. I'd tried Mills, and didn't find them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mary from Italy View Post
    That sounds promising, Lauren, well done. I'd tried Mills, and didn't find them.
    I tried that also, but ticked 'include variants' and this was one of the results :-)
    Lauren =)

You're brilliant, Lauren S! It looks as if they went much later than I had thought - but that's all down to Chinese Whispers in the family, of course. As soon as I am properly awake this morning I shall follow up your lead - for which, many thanks. I'm using Ancestry now, so I suppose I can perform the same search using Miles as the surname. Millo is often misspelled (Mills and Milo are the most common), but I did not consider Miles. Brian.