No announcement yet.

Carlisle and Cumberland lookups offered

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Really sorry, GL. I just don't have enough time for such a large search.
    Anne x

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
      Really sorry, GL. I just don't have enough time for such a large search.
      Anne x
      Anne, a wee update. I have just had a message from a grand daughter. Nobody has his birth cert as far they know but his death cert says he was born in Whitehaven. Presumably then it was the town itself, or do English registrars use registration district of birth on the death cert too?

Comment

OK well that's a start then! Lets hope the person registering the death knew that was the case and wasn't generalising like they do on cesuses! I'm really sorry but it will be next week now before I can go. The archive is only open to the public Wed to Fri but I'm a bit less busy next week so will try and mske it Wednesday.
        Anne

Comment

Thanks Anne. I think we now have a bit more info from indexes etc, as I have been told he married again and had a daughter Blanche, now deceased.
          I am hoping to confirm parents as Archibald TURNER and Amelia WEBSTER. We are still in the dark as to his occupation and residence.
          2nd son Joseph born 1922. 30 September??
          Amelia died in 1925.
          Archibald remarries in 1928 to Edith WALKER. Ni idea what happened to Edith. This is one odd family, I cannot find Blanche or her mother anywheres in 1939 either together or separately.
          Archibald dies in Whitehaven in 1932
          Blanche born 1929 dies 2009 in Carlisle.

More importantly, I have Archibald born 1884 and his first census says born High Harrington. Kelly's directory in 1925 shows him as a private resident at 14 Archer Street, Harrington. Obviously not exactly Whitehaven for him!! All his vitals are recorded as Whitehaven except for the first marriage which was Bolton.
          I suspect Edward may be Harrington as well.

Comment

GallowayLass
            I went to the Archive this morning. They do have West Cumberland PR films so I looked at the baptisms in parishes listed below from October 1917 to April 1923, in case Edward and his brother Joseph might have been baptised together. Sadly there was no sign of any Turners. Sorry! Anne
            Harrington, St Mary
            Whitehaven, Christ Church
            Whitehaven, Holy Trinity
            Whitehaven, St James
            Whitehaven St Nicholas

Edit to say: St Peter, Kells was not represented in the list of parishes and I suspect it may be more modern? ...... Yes, just found a website which says it was founded in 1939.
            Last edited by Anne in Carlisle; 03-03-17, 11:20.

Comment

Thanks so much Anne.

Comment

Hi Anne

Are you still able to do lookups?

Thanks
                Jay
                Jay

Comment

Yes I am. I passed the Archive the other day and thought 'haven't been there for a while'!
                  Put your request on here or send me a PM if that is better for you. If you include your email address in a PM I can send any findings directly.
                  Anne

Comment

Thanks Anne. I'll send a PM when I get organised.
                    Jay

Comment

Working...
                    X