No announcement yet.

Carlisle and Cumberland lookups offered

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Anne, would you please do a look-up for me whenever you next go to Carlisle RO.
    It's for a possible baptism of my GGGrandmother Mary Chambers at Kendal,Westmoreland
    between 1819 and 1821.Her parents are William Chambers and Isabella ? As far as I know
    Holy Trinity Kendal is the only possibility for that time frame and according to Genuki the records
    are held at Carlisle. Thanks in anticipation. Tony Cummings

Comment

Hi Tony
      Yes, it looks a though microfilm copies are held at Carlisle (I'm quite surprised though!). I'll make a note and see what I can find, probably tomorrow if we continue with NO snow as we have done so far!

Anne

Comment

Hi Tony
        Not good news I'm afraid. They only have microfilm of the Bishops Transcripts for Westmorland parishes at Carlisle. The main records will be at the Kendal Archive. Having said that the BTs should provide the answer.

The heading for the baptisms was "the parish of Kendal" so I don't know which church it was, presumably Holy Trinity. I checked from 1818 to 1822 and I have to say they were not at all easy to read in some parts! Now I've got home and checked out familysearch.org it looks as though I did see most of the very few CHAMBERS records, as follows
        29 Apr 1818, Ann d of Roger and Elizabeth CHAMBERS, weaver of Kendal
        20 Sep 1818, John s of Anthony and Ann CHAMBERS, mason of Kendal
        7 Jul 1822, Ann d of Anthony and Ann CHAMBERS, waller of Kendal

I did NOT see this other one which is on familysearch.org. (probably because it was illegible but it could have been missed off the BTs.)
        11 Jun 1821, Mary d Anthony and Ann CHAMBERS

Have you seen the only Mary Chambers with your stated parents 1819-1821 was baptised at Alnwick, Northumberland on 7 January 1821 according to familysearch.org.

Anne

Comment

Hi Anne, No I was not aware of that bap in Alnwick, probably because she always has Kendal for birthplace!
          That will teach me to be more open minded when searching, thank you very much for your efforts,it is much appreciated.
          Best Regards Tony
          PS. If you need anything from Tyne & Wear archives mail me at tonyandjoan2000@yahoo.co.uk

Comment

Hi Anne
            If you are at a loose end Im trying to trace my maternal Grandmothers family. The information I have is John Clarke and Martha had a daughter Francis Caroline Clarke b 11 May 1854, Whitehaven Cumberland. I think they may have been some kind of non conformists as they dont seem to appear anywhere. Francis married Alfred H Taylor 1875 in the United Methodists Free Church in Manchester and had 4 children non of whom show up on any BMD records but do on the census for 1861. Im not sure whether Im not doing things right.
            Thanks
            Alex

Comment

I've sent you a private message, Alex. Click on "Notifications" at the very top.

Anne

Comment

Anne,

I'm looking for more information on the following records found on FamilySearch:

Agnes Head Christened 1640 in Camerton, Cumberland, daughter of Henry Head
                Jane buried 1642 in Camerton, Cumberland, daughter of Henry Head
                [unnamed] buried 08 Aug 1642 in Camerton, Cumberland, spouse of Henry Head
                Dorothy Head Christened 12 Jan 1644 buried 19 Apr 1645 in Camerton, Cumberland, daughter of Henry Head
                Henry Head Christened 25 Sep 1649 in Camerton, Cumberland, son of Henry Head

Do any of the records name the mother of the children? Was Jane, buried 1642, Henry's wife or daughter? [the records don't seem to be complete or accurate]

Was this the same "Henrie Head" who married "Jennett Jacktion" 07 June 1642 in Lamplugh, Cumberland?

Is there any evidence that he is the Henry Head Christened 15 September 1605 in Dalston, Cumberland, son of Robert Head?

Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

Alan Head

Comment

Anne,

Never mind! It looks like I'll have an opportunity to get up to the Archives for the Saturday opening hours this weekend. I'll let you know how it goes!

Alan Head

Comment

Oooops, sorry I didn't see your message ..... been away in New Zealand! Hope you got on OK on the Saturday opening. Let me know if there's anything I can do.
                    Anne

Comment

Anne,

When you didn't respond right away I assumed you were on holiday someplace nice. I'm glad to find out I was right!

I had a great time in Carlisle yesterday (they had to kick me out at closing time!) and was able to get almost everything I wanted. I left with copies of the will index for the Head surname, and may order some copies once I figure out which ones are likely to be most relevant.

Thank you for your kindnesses to strangers!

Alan Head

Comment

Hi Anne - hope you don't mind. I've sent you a PM. ;D Thanks!

Comment

Hello Anne,
                          Are you still visiting the records Office? If so, i wonder if you could help me to obtain two photocopy entries - one in the Arthuret baptismal register and the other in a Stanwix marriage register? if you ask the staff to do this it cost about £13.50. If you do it yourself it costs £1. the only trouble is that I am rarely in Carlisle!
                          The time I was there I just sent the entries to the printer, paid my money and came away. Happy to send stamped addressed envelopes - cash etc if you can help. If not, I understand and will await my next visit to Carlisle.

Comment

Yes, I am happy to go to the Archives. I think you are correct in thinking photocopies are 50p each.
                            You could send a stamped addressed envelope and pay the £1 in stamps if you like.
                            Will PM you.
                            Anne

Comment

Hello Anne,
                              Are you still available to visit the Carlisle Archive. I live in the south so I cannot go myself.
                              More than happy to pay any costs involved.

Comment

Yes, still happy to go. Let me know what you are needing.
                                Anne

Comment

Anne, could you please help with the following?

Who were the parents of Edward Stanley TURNER born 5 October 1917 in Whitehaven and died 1972 in Heywood, Lancashire?

I have established from GRO indexes that his mother's maiden surname was WEBSTER but I cannot find a marriage in Cumberland of a female WEBSTER to a TURNER from 1910 to 1917. Also from GRO indexes, there were no earlier TURNER/WEBSTER children. Edward must have been their first and there was also a Joseph born 1922 whom I think is single and living away from home in Barrow in Furness on the 1939 register so must also be deceased. His dob on the 1939 register is 30 September 1922 which matches with a Joseph TURNER died in 1985, Central Cleveland.

I cannot find Edward on the 1939 register. He did not marry till 1940 in Heywood, so all I have to go on would be his baptism. The family were C of E and GENUKI gives these as the Whitehaven churches;
                                  Christ Church, Preston Street, Church of England
                                  Holy Trinity, Irish Street, Church of England
                                  St James, High Street, Church of England
                                  St Nicholas, Lowther Street, Church of England
                                  St Peter, Cliff Road, Whitehaven, Kells, Church of England

Many thanks in advance.
                                  Last edited by GallowayLass; 15-02-17, 12:44.

Comment

Yes, I'll try and help. However Whitehaven records tend to be in Whitehaven record office. I think there are films in Carlisle. It may be next week before I can go.

Can I ask how you know Edward was born on 5 Oct 1917? You would (of course you know this!!) get the best information from his birth certificate!

Anne

Comment

True but don't really want to go to expense of cert if can help it as he is only father of a married in.
                                      I got his birth date from GRO death index.

Comment

GL, do you know that Edward was born actually IN Whitehaven? If it was just the registration district then it could have been in any of the 28 places in the Registration District, which I am afraid is too much of a task to search for. I will go to the Archive on Wednesday if you let me know it was actually in the town that he was born.
                                        Anne

Comment

Now that I don't actually know for certain. The only thing I had to go on was the GRO indexes for Edward and his brother Joseph's births and Joseph's marriage. Unfortunately UKBMD.org hasn't done these records yet so I could see a subdistrict.
                                          Thanks for trying.

Comment

Working...
                                          X