X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Anne,
    next time you go could you have a look at a Carlisle will for me please;
    1814; Margaret Armstrong , married woman, Newton's Hall, Lanercost AB

I think the AB means it's not a full will. I've got her burial as 9th May 1814 and she was 83, so I'm not sure if she was married or a widow. I'm trying to see if there is a conection to my Highmores/Hymoors, as they were at Newton's Hall at that time, in particular Theodosia Hymoor died there September 1814, & I have got a couple of Armstrong/Highmore marriages.

Theodosia's father was John Fidler & he died at Newton's Hall April 1796. There is a will of John Fidler of Whitrigg Hall at Carlisle in 1797, if you get a chance could you just have a look at that, I don't think it's my John Fidler, but you never know.

Many thanks.....I'm not in any hurry, so just next time you're there would be great.
    ~ Louise ~

Researching Dalzell, Highmore & Sumpton in Cumbria, also Braidford & Chevalier

Comment

i wonderd if you would be so kind as to do a look up for me whenever you are next at the records office
      3rd g grandmother dinah carr has four children
      mary carr 1817
      agnes carr 1819
      hannah carr 1824
      elizabeth carr 1826.

cumbria records office tells me that there is no father mentioned on any of the baptisms of the children so that is a dead end there .
      Elizabeth carr on marriage names isaac carr as father but i can find no trace of him anywhere in area.

i can find no record of dinah carr herself either . on later census she puts down born conniston in 1793. she marries john denney on 13 march 1830 and i wondered if ther was any useful information on this marriage record as to her father etc or a baptism record for her.

Comment

Hi Anne
        If the Lanercost records are at Carlisle I would love info regarding the following members of my Armstrong family - 1860-1900
        John Armstrong c1837 - parents John + Isabella nee Armstrong. John snr + jnr were both joiners of Lees Hill
        John jnr married Hannah Fleming in 1883, he was a widower and she was a spinster - however I have never been able to find any info re John's first marriage.
        On the 1861c he was living with parents on 1881c he was shown as a widower living with nephew, housekeeper Hannah Fleming and her daughter Margaret. Margaret was born 10/2/1881 but no father on birth certificate - I wonder if her baptism record might show the father (as some did)
        John & Hannah had 10 children, that I know of, but for 4 of them I have very little detail Jane c1885, Ann Elizabeth c1887, John c1889 died 1891 & Hannah c1891 died 1898
        (their other children are Isabella, Mary, Annie, John-1896, Sarah Elizabeth & Mabel)
        What I'm looking for are:-
        i) details from Margaret Flemings baptiism record - born 10/2/1881
        ii) details of John's first marriage
        iii) info regarding John+Hannah's 4 children - Jane, Ann Elizabeth, John & Hannah & any other children you may come across!
        Hope I haven't asked for too much
        Judith in Gloucestershire

Comment

Wow - I go on holiday for a couple of weeks and find loads of interesting stuff to look for when I get back! Sorry for the delay folks. I'll get to it as soon as I can, maybe next week when the pile of washing and ironing has gone down!
          Anne

Comment

Went to the Archives this morning with mixed results. Will send each of you (Meridian Line, vronlady and Judith54) a private message when I get the stuff typed up.
            Anne

Comment

Messages sent. I would be grateful if you could let me know you have them because there was a bit of trouble with the site as I was posting them.
              Anne

Comment

Bewcastle PR

Hello again

I presume that Bewcastle PRs are also held at Carlisle. If you are able I would appreciate look-ups for the following:-

1) John Armstrong senior (2xGtGrandfather) is another Armstrong brickwall especially being named John. According to the 1851-1891c he came from Bewcastle but lived with wife & family in and around Lanercost (where his wife came from and where they married 26/1/1833). I believe John was born c1806 but don't know about his parents. His 2 eldest legitimate sons were called William and John, the eldest 2 daughters were Jane & Ann. John's wife Isabella, was also an Armstrong and she had an illegitimate son Joseph born 3yrs before she & John married - I've no idea of Joseph's fathers name - all I know is that he was baptised 26/11/1829 at Lanercost. Isabella's parents were William & Ann.

2) Thomas Armstrong (4xGtGrandfather) was the Grandfather of Isabella - I believe he married Isobel Story in 1771 in Bewcastle. Both possibly from Bewcastle. Any info re the birth of Thomas c1735 & Isobel c1750, confirmation of their marriage and details of any of their children would be much appreciated.

Reading the above I hope I haven't asked for too much especially as the timescale stretches nearly 75yrs! I am extremely grateful, & over the moon, with the information that you have already given me re John's son John & his family in Lanercost but won't presume that you are abe to assist me with any or part of this.

Judith

Comment

LOL! The Armstrongs are always a problem around the border area!!! I'll look for them next time I go to the Archive
                  Anne

Comment

Thanks Anne - Hope you have had as good a day up there as we've had in Gloucetsershire. Judith

Comment

Have sent you a PM Judith, with my email address.

Anne

Comment

Sent you an email about Greystoke, Judith.
                        Anne

Comment

Hello Anne,
                          Are you still offering your research services?
                          I am trying to make some enquiries about a property that my relatives used to live in, so I don't know if this is something that can be done?
                          They used to live at a farm called Carrholme, Armathwaite in the late 1800's / early 1900's.
                          Essentially, what I am interested in, is who owned the property back then?
                          The names were CLARK.
                          Look forward to hearing from you.

Comment

Hello Aitch. I'm not sure what I will find but I'll make enquiries at the Archive next time I'm there - probably next week now as I'm embroiled in another enquiry.
                            Not had to look for a house before so it will be interesting. Is there anything else you can let me know about it which might be useful? I'm thinking census references; the names of the CLARK family; the grid reference of the farm; if you have any of that.
                            Anne

Comment

Aitch. I've sent you a PM.
                              Anne

Comment

carlisle

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
                                I've just paid my first visit to the new Carlisle Archives. A wonderful new building attached to an attractive old house. So much improved from the previous cramped conditions at Carlisle Castle.

I am happy to do any research there for anyone. I don't have any family of my own from Cumberland. I need excuses to continue visiting!

Anne
                                Hi Can you help me next time you are in Carlisle Archives, look to see if a Ellen long birth 1853/ 1854 Carlisle dad John Long mam margaret Long need margarets maiden name and ellen birth. Thank you Meek

Comment

Hi Meek

I'm happy to have a try, but I'll only be able to find a baptism if one exists These don't usually say what the mother's surname was. It doesn't look as though there's a birth registration for Ellen (using FreeBMD) so there is no certificate to buy with the mother's surname on.

I've had a look at the family on the 1861 census and see they come from Ireland, which means they could be Catholic and not baptising children in the local parish church.

I'll try and pop in to the Archives next week and see what I can find. If I don't manage that, I'm away until 13th October so don't think I've forgotten you!!
                                  Best wishes
                                  Anne
                                  Last edited by Anne in Carlisle; 21-09-12, 11:44.

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
                                    Hi Meek

I'm happy to have a try, but I'll only be able to find a baptism if one exists These don't usually say what the mother's surname was. It doesn't look as though there's a birth registration for Ellen (using FreeBMD) so there is no certificate to buy with the mother's surname on.

I've had a look at the family on the 1861 census and see they come from Ireland, which means they could be Catholic and not baptising children in the local parish church.

I'll try and pop in to the Archives next week and see what I can find. If I don't manage that, I'm away until 13th October so don't think I've forgotten you!!
                                    Best wishes
                                    Anne
                                    Hi Ann Thank you The long are not catholic (I do not think). Thank you again. Meek

Comment

https://www.familysearch.org/search/...ion_id=1473014

11th Dec 1853 Ellen Long baptised at Christ Church Carlisle, parents are John and Margaret Long

Edna

Comment

Thanks Edna, I'll check that out on the actual record in case there's any more information. That's saved me some time looking through several parishes as I often don't look at familysearch for later records!

Anne

Comment

Hi Meek

I've been to the Archive and its bad news and good news!

Using Familysearch.org I found the baptism of Ellen at Christ Church Carlisle. I also checked to see if there were any other baptisms and found Thomas Long baptised in 1855 at St Mary's Carlisle. Both Christ Church and St Mary's were city centre churches. Here are the transcriptions for both baptisms:

Christchurch, Carlisle
                                          11 Dec 1853 Ellen Long d of John and Margaret Long, Unwin Street, labourer

St Mary, Carlisle
                                          29 Jul 1855 Thomas Long s of John and Margaret Long, South George Street, labourer

No mention of Margaret's maiden name. You would need one of the children's birth certificates for the maiden name. Unfortunately it does not look as though Ellen's birth was registered but I think this is Thomas's
                                          Jun/Jul/Aug 1855, Carlisle, Thomas Long
                                          There is a death registration which could be his Jan/Feb/Mar 1859.

You could buy Thomas's birth certificate which should show Margaret's maiden name if it is the correct registration. According to the 1851 and 1861 censuses she was the only Margaret Long in Carlisle at that time. If it was my family I would definitely risk the £9.25 price of the certificate to find the name!

I wonder if you are aware that someone has a tree on Ancestry claiming Margaret's maiden name was HANLON? I'm not sure if this is correct or just a guess. They haven't got Thomas on the tree so maybe they don't have his birth certificate.

I'm away now for a couple of weeks. You probably know how to order birth certificates but if not ask on this forum about it. Don't pay more than £9.25!
                                          Anne

Comment

Working...
                                          X