Black Watch or 93rd Foot Rgt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Watch or 93rd Foot Rgt

Hi all, I'm trying to find a service record for Robert Duff, born 1895 in Abbotshall, Kirkcaldy area. I am presuming he saw service during WW1.

I am also trying to find a record for James Elder, private AO1687, 93rd Foot Regt (Argyll and Sutherland Regiment) I know he was serving in this regiment in 1876.

Any help appreciated

You may be lucky but the Army records are not complete - I know my grandad served in WW1 as I have his medical record and medal card but his Army Service Record is missing as are many more.
    I have had a quick look for Robert Duff but can't find one b in Fife. Will have another look. Did he move from Fife before he joined up?
    herky
    Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

There is a James Elder of the Black Watch in Find my past - I don't have a subscription so I can't check it out.
      The number is different but I do know my grandad had a couple of different numbers as he was in more than one regiment.

Edit - not sure if it is the Black Watch that you are looking for?
      herky
      Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Originally posted by herky View Post
        You may be lucky but the Army records are not complete - I know my grandad served in WW1 as I have his medical record and medal card but his Army Service Record is missing as are many more.
        I have had a quick look for Robert Duff but can't find one b in Fife. Will have another look. Did he move from Fife before he joined up?
        I know he worked in Monifieth, dunno if this was before or after his time in the Black Watch.

Comment

sorry for not being clear , James Elder served with the 93rd Foot Regiment

Comment

Hi,
            If your relative served in the 93rd, which was the A+S Highlanders you could try the Regimental Web Page. I'm sure they will have a Regimental Museum who could help you, all regiments have one. The A+S H's is at Stirling Castle I think.

He may have served in two regiments, the B W (RHR) 42nd, my old Regiment, being but one. So You could try their museum at Belhousie Castel in Perth.

Not to confuse the issue but in the 1st WW both Regiments would have had several TA Regiments too which had the same name but different number. So their Museums could hold their records too.

Hope that helps
            Family details I'm looking for:- Edmondson-N/Yorkshire+Salford. Wilkinson-N/Yorks, [B]O'N[/B]eill-Manchester+Ireland?, Hill-Derbyshire, Warrington-Derbyshire +N.Zealand, Makin- Salford, Partington- Prestwich

Comment

James Elder should appear on the Muster Rolls for the 93rd which would give a quarter by quarter account of where he was serving and when - very useful if his records haven't survived. They're not online, though, they would be at the National Archives. He could, of couse have transferred to another regiment at some stage.
              The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
              Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

Working...
              X