Henry J Brooke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Henry J Brooke

Can anyone help me find the birth or mention in any census of Henry J Brooke who married Ada Gertrude Spratt in Sheffield in 1918. I have found the marriage and his death 1960 Sheffield ( gives birth as 1893) but cannot find his birth or parents. Help please

Does his marriage certificate give a father's name? and occupation?

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I have only found his marriage and death on Ancestry so I suppose I will have to send for the marriage certificate before I can go any further.

Comment

His marriage and death are listed as Henry J Brookes. How about Henry James Brookes - Oct-Dec 1892 - Leicester 7a 249.
        Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Even if he was born in Leicester in 1892 I have failed to find him in the 1901 census.

Comment

There is also one born in 1892 in Worcestershire but as Christine said, until you get the marriage cert you won't know. You need his parents names.

Comment

Got the certificate ordered so will have to wait and see who father is. Thanks for all your help.

Comment

Oh do let us know! there are plenty of possibilities in the 1911 census.
                Margaret

Comment

Got the marriage certificate but still cannot find the Brookes family!!
                  Here is what it says
                  19th March 1918 Wincobank, Sheffield
                  Henry James Brookes, 25, Batchelor, Corporal Royal Marines, Resident Grangemouth Scotland, Father John Brookes profession Elastic Weaver
                  Last edited by GrandmaSilver; 24-12-11, 11:02.

Comment

There is a possible BROOKES family in 1901 in Leicester, where the father is called John, and is an elastic weaver, and there's an 8-year-old son called Harry (a diminutive of Henry).

I haven't checked to and fro to see if there is any conflicting information for this family.

It does tie in with a birth for Henry James BROOKES in Leicester in 1892q4.

Christine
                    Last edited by Christine in Herts; 23-12-11, 22:35.
                    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I have followed the family back a bit, and it certainly seems plausible.

Christine

Comment

To save anyone else looking, this has been followed up on a separate thread.
                        Elaine

Comment

Thank you for the warning Elaine, I was just off to search for them. It would seem that the first possible birth I mentioned in post 4 was probably him then?

Comment

Yes, Chrissie. Looks likely!
                            Elaine

Comment

I think that is the family as every thing ties in. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X