Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ellen Harries nee Hickford mystery lady! help needed!

Blog Entries
    she was about 16 or 17 when she married Alexander but I did look anyway!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ajchambers8 View Post
    she was about 16 or 17 when she married Alexander but I did look anyway!
    sorry no, I mean after 1901, he might have told fibs saying he was a widow, to save face..
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

Blog Entries
    The thought crossed my mind but I was told one of his boys ended upon the streets after the mother died so I think that would have been noted however I its part of why I am trying to find out her death as my grandfather was born in 1911 (his mother was a servant in the house on the census of the same year and was a year or two younger than his eldest daughter! Alexander was a widow on that census) and Alexander didnt marry his mother until 1919 and a new birth certificate was issued to my grandfather with the name Harries rather than his mothers maiden name in 1926, when Alexander was dying.

I am trying to find out when Ellen died so I can see how close all these events ran together , I spent yesterday at the Holborn archives piecing addresses and trade listings together and the two years I am missing for him are round about 1909-1911 which I thought might have been when Ellen died ... a bit complicated but who ever said those Victorians and Edwardians were a bunch of preudes had it far from the truth!

according to a tree on Ancestry Ellen Hickford born 1872 Holloway died in 1905 in Bayern Germany???
    Tree belongs to compo59

Val

Blog Entries
    Hi there compo seems to have taken a lot of info from my tree and sadly not all of it is correct, she almost definitly didnt die in germany I originally put down what I called a 'provisional date of death' of 1905 inbetween 1901 and 1911 as a rough guide to try and help find her true death, as I know its between those years, which compo must have added to their tree as fact before reading the note I had put about it, I'm almost certain this line of my tree had no German roots

I have just seen your thread and haven't got time to look into it closer at the moment but I found a death that might be worth checking out/cross referencing? You didn't say where they were living in 1901?
    The age is a few years out but the nearest I could find quickly.
    Helen Margaret Harries - died aged 41 - Oct-Dec 1907 - Hackney 1b 245

It may not fit at all but I found it and didn't want to lose it until I had time to look at your query closer.
    Chrissie

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
    I have just seen your thread and haven't got time to look into it closer at the moment but I found a death that might be worth checking out/cross referencing? You didn't say where they were living in 1901?
    The age is a few years out but the nearest I could find quickly.
    Helen Margaret Harries - died aged 41 - Oct-Dec 1907 - Hackney 1b 245

It may not fit at all but I found it and didn't want to lose it until I had time to look at your query closer.
    Hi there, I really appreciate that! I hadnt seen that death but I think her husband would have made sure her name was correct as he was alive, I know they were living at 20 wood green high rd on the 1901 census, in 1902 they were living in kentish town, I dont think Hackney is close enough to the area, even if she was in hospital its likely to be one in hampstead or camden? I havent found any links to Hackney til my own generation!

that birth I found fits in with Moggies 1871 census and that says Eleanor ? I would say 99% sure its her

Val

if you aren't sure of her name ? how do you know the one Chrissy found is wrong ? Maybe the person who registered it didn't know? may not have been her husband ? My own Fathers Death Cert is wrong simply because the lady who registered it guessed.

Val

Blog Entries
    when was the last child born to Ellen born please? 1902? if so, is it possible that the child was born dec q 1901 and not registered until 1902?

reason I ask is that I have found a possible death

Name: Ellen Frances Harris
    Estimated Birth Year: abt 1871
    Date of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec 1901
    Age at Death: 30
    Registration district: Pancras
    Inferred County: London
    Volume: 1b
    Page: 8

Kentish Town would fall under Pancras district.

I know that according to census she was born abt. 1871/2 but if she was of full age when she married, then, that would put her birth around 1867. so she might have fibbed about her age on the census.
    Last edited by Darksecretz; 23-11-11 at 13:44.
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........