Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WILL of Godfrey TALLENTS of Newark upon Trent 1877 [Resolved]

Blog Entries

WILL of Godfrey TALLENTS of Newark upon Trent 1877 [Resolved]

I have in my possession a will of the above, Godfrey Tallents and also a few other papers (indentures?) & title deeds to a Property, he lived in Newark upon Trent, Nottinghamshire and left a widow Laura Eliza Tallents and their sons William Edward Tallents and Godfrey Tallents jr.

I am willing and able to pass it on to any surviving family members.
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

There's a tree on GR with a William Tallents in it - no dates or location but I have sent a message pointing the owner to this thread in case he is connected. It is quite an unusual name so fingers crossed.
    Margaret

Oh, my, Julie -
    What era? I wish I had my ancestor's apprenticeship & freedom papers.

I know there are quite a lot of documents at Nottingham Archives relating to the Tallents family of Newark who were solicitors, I believe. Just had a quick look at the A2A site and there are references to a Godfrey, held, at Lincs Archives too.
    The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
    Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Blog Entries
    There's a tree on GR with a William Tallents in it - no dates or location but I have sent a message pointing the owner to this thread in case he is connected. It is quite an unusual name so fingers crossed.
    Margaret
    thank you Margaret, I don't subscribe to GR anymore, so it is appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by PhotoFamily View Post
    Oh, my, Julie -
    What era? I wish I had my ancestor's apprenticeship & freedom papers.
    these are dated 1899, Sarah. (Not totally sure what they are all about if I'm honest!)

Quote Originally Posted by annswabey View Post
    I know there are quite a lot of documents at Nottingham Archives relating to the Tallents family of Newark who were solicitors, I believe. Just had a quick look at the A2A site and there are references to a Godfrey, held, at Lincs Archives too.
    Yes, I do believe that they were solicitors (and are still in business nowdays too) though it doesnt look like there are any Tallents that are in the partnership.
    Julie

The contact on GR replied and said he was going to have a look at this thread as I sent the link to him. Lets see if he says anything and/or mackes contact.
    margaret

Blog Entries
    Ok thanks Margaret, very much appreciated
    Julie

Quote Originally Posted by Darksecretz View Post
    I have in my possession a will of the above, Godfrey Tallents and also a few other papers (indentures?) & title deeds to a Property, he lived in Newark upon Trent, Nottinghamshire and left a widow Laura Eliza Tallents and their sons William Edward Tallents and Godfrey Tallents jr.

I am willing and able to pass it on to any surviving family members.
    I have just spotted this thread whilst researching something else for my firm, Tallents Solicitors in Newark upon Trent. Godfrey Tallents was part of a long line of Tallents who owned and ran this firm right up to the 1960's. I accept that you posted this several years ago, Julie, but wondered if the papers were still available. We do still act for John Tallents, who is the great (or possibly great-great) grandson of Godfrey Tallents. I also hold the firm's archive. Most of our client papers from 1774 to around 1950 have been catalogued in either the County Archive or in the Tallents Collection at Nottingham University, but I am uncovering more documents all of the time.

Are the papers still in your possession?

Alistair Millar
    Partner
    Tallents Solicitors

Blog Entries
    Hello Alistair

Yes I do still have the documents and it would be lovely to pass them on to a family member or possibly the firms archive.
    Julie

Isn't it great: the way that an old post can get picked up to get such a positive outcome!

C
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...