WHITTALL, Arthur, John 1899-1924 Journal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WHITTALL, Arthur, John 1899-1924 Journal

I have a short journal of Arthur John Whittall 1899-1924. It has personal notes and news clippings in it and his call-up registration card etc.Would be delighted to find someone to give it to. There's a little book thatwas presented to his dad George in 1880 for good attendance at Sunday Schooltoo. I rescued them from a house that was being demolished 30 yrs ago and hopedto one day pass them to someone related.

As a start to finding out who he might be - this could be this birth registration -
    Births Mar 1899
    Whittall Arthur John
    Paddington 1a 56

and this the 1901 census

RG13; Piece: 92; Folio: 115; Page: 31
    Household:
    George Whittall c 1871 Harley, Essex
    Rhoda Whittall Gc 1870 Northam, Devon
    Arthur Whittall c1899 W Kilburnc
    living St John The Evangelist Westminster and St Margaret, London

and possibly his Army Pension records where he lied about his age to enlist!
    Elaine

Comment

On the 1911 census website it appears there was another child born c1904 - Rhoda Mary Whittall.

There are two possible marriages on freeBMD
      Marriages Dec 1925
      Rhoda M Whittall
      Francis Myerscough
      Preston 8e 1087

Marriages Sep 1934
      Rhoda M Whittall
      Frederick W Barrington
      Battersea 1d 1164
      Elaine

Comment

There are two Rhoda Mary Whittalls, born about the same time.

Births Sep 1903
        Whittall Rhoda Mary
        St.Geo.H.Sq 1a 476

Births Jun 1905
        Whittall Rhoda Mary
        Knaresbro' 9a 104

When you look at trees on Ancestry there seems to be some confusion with all trees showing that the second Rhoda (born Knaresbro') married both Francis and Frederick!

Because of place of birth and places of marriages I suspect that Rhoda born in St. George Hanover Square married Frederick Barrington, and that Rhoda born in Karesbro married Francis Myerscough

.. but it's guesswork!

Rhoda born 1905 in Harrogate appears on Genes Reunited, but unfortunately Rhoda born St George Hanover Sq. is no where to be seen!

Nothing showing up on Tribal Pages either.
        Elaine

Comment

OMG, when my mother lived in Harrogate in the house I was born in, our next door neighbours were named Whittall.No. 1, Chatsworth Place, Harrogate was the address.
          Stella passed away December 2014

Comment

Elaine. I have seen the army pension records that make it appear he lied about his age to enlist but he was full age when he was called for action. He had registered under the National Registration Act in 1916 when he was 17 and his National Service Card has a note that he "offered himself as a carpenter" on the approach of his 18th birthday on 12th March 1917. I believe he was in the army cadets or similar before age 16. He was living at Ruskin Buildings, Westminster and was working as a clerk before he went off to the army.

The army pension records I'm guessing you located on Ancestry? begin with Arthur John Whittall but after some pages, it turns into the record of another Arthur Whittall with middle name Vyse? These records don't look like they belong to our Arthur.

Re these posts not getting noticed since they've been moved to memorabilia - I tried some basic search engine searches and found that they didn't come up for FTF with just the name but did when I searched the name with the words ''family bible'' etc.

Corinne

Comment

Originally posted by EssexCorinne View Post
              Re these posts not getting noticed since they've been moved to memorabilia - I tried some basic search engine searches and found that they didn't come up for FTF with just the name but did when I searched the name with the words ''family bible'' etc.
              There shouldn't be a problem with threads not getting picked up by search engines.
              Just done a basic search for "Arthur John Whittall" using Google and this thread was the third option which came up!
              Elaine

Comment

I only meant that FTF members are not paying attention and working on the thread when they are posted on the memorabilia section

Comment

I only meant that FTF members are not paying attention and working on the thread when they are posted on the memorabilia section
                  That's what I think, too. I worked on the Gosling Bible thread as I saw it on Research, but very rarely think to look here, for what are, in effect, usually research questions.

scuda
                  Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

Comment

Maybe it's a question of how we encouarage members to look at ALL research forums rather than just the Family History Research one!
                    Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                      There shouldn't be a problem with threads not getting picked up by search engines.
                      Just done a basic search for "Arthur John Whittall" using Google and this thread was the third option which came up!
                      Ah.. I think it was Yahoo searches I did.... obviously not so thorough.

Comment

Two things which could be done to encourage members to look on here

1. Move the board up so it is immediately below the Family History Research one

2. Members post a thread on the Family History Research board to alert other members to a new thread and linking to this board.

I know I have not been looking here as often as I might just because I am in the habit of looking at the other one and the Sensitive Research Board.

Margaret

Comment

As there doesn't seem to be any interest from potential family members of the Whittall's, I have offered the journal to Westminster Archives who have accepted my offer for their records so at least it will be available to researchers in the future.
                          Thanks for your efforts at finding it a home.
                          Corinne

Comment

That's a good idea and this thread will always come up if someone searches on the name for their research.

Margaret

Comment

Great idea!

Christine
                              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

The journal and a book belonging to Arthur's father George Whittall have been deposited in City of Westminster Archives Centre, 10 Ann's St, London www.westminster.gov.uk/archives . Ref no: Acc 2707 in case anyone wants to see it.

Thanks for all your help with looking into it.

Corinne

Comment

Working...
                                X