margaret roberts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• margaret roberts

the first piece of evidence i have for margaret roberts is her marriage to john henry fewings on 25 jun 1852, in cheltenham, gloucester. father is 'robert roberts labourer'. address was 292 high st, cheltenham. witts: john james palmer and kesiah maisey. no obvious connection.

the next piece of evidence is the ship list for the 'irene'. it left liverpool on 10 jul 1852, and arrived in sydney on 16 oct 1852.

the ship list gave margaret fewings as 21, b.1830. native place was merionthshire, wales. parents were given as 'robert and margaret roberts, ballagth, merionethshire, wales'.

i cannot locate margaret on the 1851 census at all. in googling there is no place called 'ballagth'. looking up mrionethshire on wikipedia, there is a district called 'bala'. in bala district in 1841 is a roberts family which fits,

1841-llanfawr, bala, merionethshire. all born merionethshire.
    robert roberts- 36, b.1805, cowman.
    margaret- 33,b.1808
    margaret- 11, b.1830
    david- 9, b.1832
    elizabeth- 7, b.1834
    joseph- 5, b.1836
    robert- 2, b.1838

in trying to trace this family foward, there is no sign of parents robert and margaret. david, elizabeth and joseph all appear to be servants in the bala district in 1851.
    and there is no sign of robert roberts jnr. likewise there are 7 births which could be his in 1838-1839, so a birth cert for mother margaret's name would be difficult lol.

so, would anyone think 'ballagth' could be bala? is it possible this is margaret's family? and if so, any tips on how to trace them?

so, would anyone think 'ballagth' could be bala?
    Welsh is an old Celtic language, and it is a characteristic of Celtic that there are lots of unpronounced letters. I suspect that "Ballagth" would be pronounced "Bala" - the latter name is probably an Anglicisation of the original Celtic, anyway.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

On the other hand...

suggests that I am incorrect about the Welsh for the placename... but I don't think that that would necessarily make me wrong in suggesting that "Ballagth" would be pronounced "Bala".

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

i did think it could be pronounced 'bala'. but if it's pronounced that way, why isn't it spelled 'ballagth'? and why is there no town in the world called this?

Comment

Hello Margaret Roberts and John Henry Fewings are my GtGt Grandparents their son Robert James Fewings is my Gt Grandfather.

Comment

Working...
          X