No announcement yet.

Grave Digger help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I did spot that one and thought the same thing ? but it does look the most likely might take a chance and send for it ?thanks

Comment

Originally posted by JudithM View Post
      Maybe this is your Ernest's death, though I don't know where the middle initial W comes from.
      Q1 1952 COMLEY, Ernest W 90 Poplar
      Bit late but thanks Judith

I did send for that one and it was indeed him, says Ernest W Comley he is aged 90 born abt 1862

But still dont know where he came from or his family all I have is him from the marriage in 1918 calling himself Albert Ernest Comley a Widower cannot find a previous marriage for him .

Anymore ideas Thanks

Comment

blimey your man likes a name game lol

in the ER he is ernest albert in 1921, in 1928 he is ernest walter and different variants of albert, ernest and walter
        Lorraine

Comment

Yes Lorraine the only name that stays the same is Comley my family he married into changed their names too.
          I have been trying to find a Comley Marriage and the Death for his first Wife but not knowing where he came from or anything really its hard going.
          Think I'll go cook before my head bursts, thanks for looking.

Comment

Thanks Lorraine thats one I actually added to my tree for now as I keep coming back to him but not found enough to convince me he's mine yet.

Comment

Can I bump this up ,as I have not got anywhere still with this man, could do with some help,
              He is definitely Ernest walter Comley born 13 Nov 1861 South Stoneham, Hampshire
              No point looking for him with his parents, as she was unmarried ,and had left the kids with their grandparents by 1871.
              I really am looking for him in any census from 1881 to 1911
              Thanks

Comment

Possible 1st m
                On FMP

09/07/1882 St Peter's, Parish of St James, Piccadilly

Ernest Charles Comley 20, Bachelor, Packer residing 45 Whitcomb Street. Father Charles, Grave Digger

Elizabeth Sarah Conroy 20, Spinster 40 W? St. Father George, Farrier

Witnesses ?William and Elizabeth Shrue

Can see a female E Comley in the City Asylum 1901/1911 but says Widowed

Vera
                Last edited by vera2013; 15-01-19, 00:28.

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                  Can I bump this up ,as I have not got anywhere still with this man, could do with some help,
                  He is definitely Ernest walter Comley born 13 Nov 1861 South Stoneham, Hampshire
                  No point looking for him with his parents, as she was unmarried ,and had left the kids with their grandparents by 1871.
                  I really am looking for him in any census from 1881 to 1911
                  Thanks
                  did he leave a will? when he died were there any notices in local papers? [just wondered if there were mention of family in any acknowledgements in the obit section?]
                  Julie
                  They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Vera dont know how you do it? but that does look good, thanks so much, will check it out today after BT have been AGAIN, only the 10th Engineer for the same fault ugh
                    Thanks for looking but cannot find a will Julie, but maybe I need to search a few years after his death?

Comment

Tried to find your Ernest Walter in censuses prior to his marriage to Lydia.

Can see him in the 1871 with grandparents and sibs in Hants.

1878 there is an Ernest Comley aged 16 b Battersea who deserts from his regiment 04/04/1878. Recorded at Winchester
                      22/03/1878. Annoyingly Ancestry not making these images available anymore.

1881 there is an Ernest Comley in Coventry St, Soho, a Porter b 1860 Battersea.

1882 Charles Ernest marriage to Elizabeth Sarah Conroy who in 1881 is in Birmingham recorded as Roberts with mother Mary and sibs Ellen M and Alice M.

Cant see the couple in 1891 but in 1901 there is a Charles and Elizabeth in W Ham. Charles b Battersea and Elizabeth St Giles. Cant see any children for that couple or see either in 1911.

Given Ernest changed his name so much could be yours but then he was consistent with Battersea so maybe not.

Vera
                      Last edited by vera2013; 15-01-19, 20:42.

Comment

Could this be him...

I looked at William Chew 1881, the witness and his address is 40 Wardour Street, the address Elizabeth has on the marriage record I think.
                        I can find an Ernest Comley 1862 born Battersea :( but he is in the right area

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

William is a warehouseman, Ernest at this point a light porter

At the moment I can't spot this Ernest either
                        Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
                        http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Sorry Vera, was so busy looking
                          Last edited by Elaine; 15-01-19, 20:55.
                          Elaine

Comment

Is this them 1871 Vera?

RG10/352/5/3
                            St Giles, London, Middlesex

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

can't get the listing for Conroy but this is the link for the image

Mary R Conroy 30 Somerset, England
                            Ellen M Conroy Daughter 12 Middlesex, England
                            Elizabeth S Conroy Daughter 8 Middlesex, England
                            Alice M Conroy Daughter 6 Middlesex, England

There's an Ellen Mary Conroy, father George farrier, marrying 1882 to Theophilis Edwin Hughes. William Chew is a witness
                            Elaine

Comment

Hello Elaine. Hope your well. Yes thats the Conroys in 1871. Edward Roberts is a lodger. Mary and the girls with him In 1881 Birmingham recorded as Roberts. They marry later.

Vera

Comment

Am slowly getting there Vera
                                Elaine

Comment

oh you have been busy thanks so much .
                                  I've been looking for them too, but am having mega problems tonight with the internet dropping off, fed up with it, had so many Engineers here its a joke.
                                  All 3 boys were illegitimate, and their mother never married, as far as I know, there are rumours they were the children of Louisa and her Brother Alfred? but I find that hard to believe.

Comment

Thats good to hear.

The wife of William Chew, Sarah A maiden name Shepherd is possibly sib of Mary Conroy/Roberts whose mn also Shepherd b Bath.

Vera
                                    Last edited by vera2013; 15-01-19, 22:32.

Comment

Hello Val if you havent dropped out. I dont know some funny things went on in some areas way back in the day

Need to try and get some link with your Ernest Walter and the ones showing up as Ernest you choose. Will take a look at his brothers.

Vera

Comment

am back but dont know how long for,I'm going to have a right go at BT tomorrow.
                                        Thanks for all you and Elaine's help much appreciated ,I am popping on and off so its hard to get records, but shall be looking at what you have found.

Comment

Working...
                                        X