Clara's death - help UPDATE #626

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SueNSW View Post
    If his Grenadier Guards records can't be located on Ancestry - and you want to follow him up there is an alternative for all Guards regiments - copied from 1914-1918.net

The Guards regiments maintained a separate set of records and these are accessible via the Archivists of those regiments, all of whom can be contacted at the respective regimental headquarters at

The Regimental Archivist of the [name] Guards
    Wellington Barracks
    Birdcage Walk
    London
    SW1E 6HQ.

Some of the Guards regiments require payment for supplying a copy, others invite a donation. In all cases you should at first write, asking for a copy of the form that the regimental archivist requires in order to carry out a search.
    that is true Sue, though when I have contacted them in the past they were not very helpful at all, (as they require a service number).. and were quite rude about it as well!..
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

• Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
      Kyle, Ruby was a Smith as she was Ethels daughter (Ethel married a Smith then lived with McKanna), Charlie was a Ward, and as I figure that it was Ethel that had the stone put up it would be right as Charlie was her brother..
      Hi Julie
      Ruby was Isabel's daughter & not Ethel's. They both married a Smith which can be very confusing.
      I think this is James Driscoll's medal card.

Moggie

Comment

• Hi Steven
        Just picked up on this
        They must of lived next door to each other at one time as I have a little card that Ruby wrote to my Mum saying "Dear May give me a call over the wall when you are home love Ruby".
        There were no Driscolls living next door to Isabel in 1935 when they were living in Stepney.
        We know they were living in Mayville Rd in 1939 when Ruby died so perhaps another look up in the ERs is on the cards for Mayville Rd to see if Clara was there in 1939 or earlier.
        The problem is Isabel seemed to move about quite a lot so she could have lived at a different address between 1935 & 1939.
        Moggie

Comment

• Has anyone contacted the owner of that tree on Ancestry? I wonder where they got the information about his birth from?
          The only one in 1886 West Ham is a Matthias Michael A.
          I can't find a birth for a Matthias Driscoll in any year that fits. I did wonder, when I saw that he was buried in a catholic cemetary whether he might have been born James Michael Driscoll and changed it to Matthias if he became a catholic later. The reason I say this is that an ex sister in law of mine became a catholic and changed her name to Theresa.
          Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

• Originally posted by maudarby View Post
            Hi Julie
            Ruby was Isabel's daughter & not Ethel's. They both married a Smith which can be very confusing.
            I think this is James Driscoll's medal card.

Moggie
            oops sorry Moggie, I get confused with all these names..lol!

THAT medal card looks very promising indeed... I know that FMP had some pension records for GGs (as my gt gt grandfather was a guard in 1860s) but whether they go any higher than that I have no idea.. wonder if TNA has anything.. ?
            Julie

Comment

• Hi folks quick update for you but I couldn't wait until I got home from work

We have finally found Clara!!!!! Got the certificate today Clara Driscoll died 20th February 1947 widow of James Driscoll and home address 57 Thornton Road and informant is A McKanna son on law!!!!!

I will scan the image later tonight for you all to see - a huge thanks to everyone and I will get some proper thanks on later.

I also got an email from Manor Park to say Clara is buried there but no stone as it was a public grave

Just wanted to let everyone know and will do a proper post later

Steven
              Last edited by stevie2006; 06-02-12, 13:07.

Comment

• BRILLIANT NEWS!!!! WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO way to go!!!!

:Big Grin:
                Julie

Comment

• Great news Steve - well done for not giving up!
                  Elaine

Comment

• Fabulous news - that tenacity paid off in the end!!

Margaret

Comment

• Hi Steven
                      I am so happy for you & your bank balance!
                      Nobody could have guessed the outcome when this thread first started.
                      Moggie

Comment

• WOOOOOW!!!

Fantastico Steven!

Goodness, I'm going to pass on to Dad how useful that memory about the surname Driscoll has been - he'll be thrilled!

Comment

• steven, that's brilliant news, I'm so glad all your searching has paid off! Does this mean that James Ward in 1911 was James Driscoll? And that for some reason Clara never married him?

Denise

Comment

• Originally posted by darannon View Post
                            steven, that's brilliant news, I'm so glad all your searching has paid off! Does this mean that James Ward in 1911 was James Driscoll? And that for some reason Clara never married him?

Denise
                            that is right Denise, we now think that they were living as common law man & wife, otherwise she might not get the widows pension/handouts for the children.
                            Julie

Comment

• thanks goodness ,gives me some hope for my great grandmother ???

Comment

• Brilliant news Steven I couldn't be more thrilled for you.
                                Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

• I bet Mrs Steven is pleased! Probably best that you don't try to work out what this has cost you. :D

Have to say, it really does give others hope ... now can anyone find the first husband of OH's grandmother, along with Val's great grandmother .. anyone else want to add a missing person.
                                  Elaine

Comment

• The thread will need a new title, say - Lost and Found?
                                    Margaret

Comment

• Hi folks in from work and here are the two cert's I got today both of which confirm the good news

As I said earlier I now also know that Clara is buried in Manor Park but unfortunately no stone as its a public grave

Manor Park said they couldn't lift a stone for a fee although my contact did have a go but it was too heavy!!!!! Amanda I may need you yet to see if you can have a look at it!!!!!

I also heard back from Redbridge re the address at Mayville Road and it has thrown up an interesting fact

2 Mayville Road:
                                      Greening, Mabel Rose
                                      Greening, Walter
                                      Greening, Henry Walter

4 Mayville Road:
                                      Rolfe, Eric Leonard
                                      Smith, Isabel
                                      Smith, Solomon Robert

Could this be the missing Rose? I thought it was have been May Millbank (nee Driscoll) that lived next door to Isabella but low and behold it names a Rose - I know need to see if I can find a marriage of a Rose Ward to a Walter Greening and then maybe a second marriage of Rose to a Mr Smart as per Amanda's address book but thats another story

I simply wanted to say THANK YOU to everyone who helped me with Clara - there are too many names to mention and I don't want to miss anyone out so I thought it best to thank EVERYONE who helped me and didn't let me give up and spent hours of their own time helping me - a huge thanks and much appreciated

Steven

Comment

• PS basically I now now the following and who is accounted for

1. Clara Ward - died Clara Driscoll - her daughters
                                        2. Isabel Ward - died Isabel Rolfe
                                        3. Ethel Ward - died Ethel McKanna
                                        4. Hilda Ward - died Hilda Hale
                                        5. Grace Ward (Dolly) - died Grace Phillips
                                        6. May Driscoll - died May Millbank

That leaves

1. Charles/Charley Ward - died during WW1 or WW2
                                        2. Rose Ward - maybe Rose Greening or Rose Smart - still be be confirmed

That now just about covers the whole Ward family - THANKS AGAIN

Steven

Comment

• Just thinking of the note that said about 'over the fence' - a lot of houses in the area would have had back gardens that backed onto others so someone in the next road behind could be 'just over the fence' too!

Margaret

Comment

Working...
                                          X