No announcement yet.

Clara's death - help UPDATE #626

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another possible update. Amanda the contact that Julie put me in touch with said that her father can remember that Clara died while living with them in Ilford and he thinks he was around 9 - 11 in age, so that might make Clara's death date around 1943-45?? although maybe best to put one or two years either side. Threfore can anyone see if they can find a death for Clara Ward in Ilford around this time?

Great news too that I had an old photo with 3 women - one was my great grandmother Isabella Ward (married name Smith then Rolfe). Amanda's father was able to confirm that the other two were Isabella's sister Ethel and that the other was in fact Clara!!!! Absolutely fantastic feeling to see her the flesh if that makes sense and makes me even more determined to find her death.

Fingers crossed a forum member can weave some magic

Steven

Comment

This could be a possibility, age a bit out but not sure that Ilford came under Essex South Western have a look here http://ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/reg/districts/ilford.html about which district Ilford has been under. It could be she died in hospital though.

Clara E Ward
      Birth Date: abt 1867
      Date of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar 1943
      Age at Death: 76
      Registration district: Essex South Western Inferred County: Essex
      Volume: 4a Page: 156

Comment

Happy to look - but where would a death be recorded for Ilford? - I can't find any in Ilford. (This Scot has poor knowledge of English Geography).
        There is a death of a Clara Ward in 1942 in Southwark,, birth is c 1870
        3Q 1d page 8
        herky
        Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Ilford is in Essex Herky

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
            Ilford is in Essex Herky

Thanks, Now I need to know if Southwark is Essex - off to do a google!
            herky
            Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

it isn't Herky its London Way;)

Comment

Originally posted by herky View Post
                Happy to look - but where would a death be recorded for Ilford? - I can't find any in Ilford. (This Scot has poor knowledge of English Geography).
                There is a death of a Clara Ward in 1942 in Southwark,, birth is c 1870
                3Q 1d page 8
                It's unlikely to be this one as Southwark is miles from Ilford.

On reflection the death in Essex South Western is the most likely as she could easily have been in a hospital nearer in towards London - Ilford is on the east side of London about 10 miles out. Have a look for this postcode IG1 1QP on googlemaps and you will see where Ilford is in relation to London.

Margaret

Comment

Thanks Margaret - on freebmd I can only see three Clara deaths between 1939 and 1949. The one you mention looked good but her middle name (according to her marriage certificate was Lillian and there was no middle name on the birth certificate). Another has a middle initial of S and the 3rd doesn't seem to match her age. She was born on 8/9/1869.

I don't know what one to pick or should I widen the search out of Essex?

Herky thanks for looking and thanks Val for keeping me right with the geography

Steven

Comment

Does your relative have the address we are talking about in Ilford?

It might be best to see if you could check the electoral roll for the years you are looking at to see if she was living there and if so what name she was giving.

Margaret

Comment

Thanks Margaret not sure how to check the electoral rolls but sounds a good idea. As far as I know she was known as Clara Ward at death. I think I will take a gamble and order the certificate from 1943 at least to see or eliminate it.

I will have a look for a last known address

Thanks as always

Steven

Comment

Electoral Rolls are usually held at the local library or sometimes passed to the County Records Office, so the first step is to email the library in Ilford http://www.redbridge.gov.uk/cms/leis...l_library.aspx and ask about the address you have and the years concerned.

Margaret

Comment

Thanks margaret I will email them on Monday and order that certificate tonight.

Steven

Comment

Bad news - I received the death certificate for the Clara that died in 1943 and unfortunately it's not her so back to the drawing board for Clara. I did find another photo of her with my grandad and he is in his WW2 uniform so I know she was alive by then.

Just about at the giving up stage with the elusive Clara Ward - the biggest brick wall I have ever faced

Steven

Comment

Oh Steven, that is pants isnt it? at least now you know for definate that it isnt her and can rule her out, though, it can prove to be an expensive way to find out.
                              Julie
                              They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

I know Julie its a nightmare and I think its worse as I now know what she looks like and you make a bigger connection if that makes sense?

The biggest problem is that I don't know if she did in fact remarry and if the 1911 census was correct. I suppose everyone must have some ancestors they just can't solve. I have always been fairly lucky with certificates and hunches and of course expert advice from the forum members but this one has got me!!!!!!

Thanks for all your help

Steven

Comment

well, there is still the electoral roll route to chase isnt there? did you ask what address they were living at when you had contact with your new found relative?
                                  Julie

Comment

OH dear! so sorry it was not the right cert.

As Darksecretz says - worth following up any addresses you can get that could be checked on the electoral rolls.

Margaret

Comment

Thanks Julie & Margaret I have asked my new found relative if she has any addresses to go on

I keep coming back to the 1911 census - if I have the right one (I am 99% sure I have) then Clara is married to James Ward and it says they were married 3 years. However I can find no marriage of a Clara Ward to a James Ward. But could the surname on the census be wrong and Clara married a James ............. If so then the surname of the Clara I am looking for is different and maybe that is where I am going wrong. I am going to go back through marriage on freebmd between say 1906 to 1909 and see if I can find anything

Steven

I have a last possible address of 57 Thornton Rd, Ilford but its only a guess but at least something to go on
                                      Last edited by stevie2006; 11-11-11, 22:27.

Comment

I have probably annoyed people to death with Clara and apologies to those I have!!!! For anyone who was interested in the post I thought I would add a photo so a face could be put to the name. My own photo's so hopefully I haven't broken any rules lol. My grandad is the one in the uniform

Thanks for everyone who has helped but its almost the end of the line

Steven

Comment

aww Steven, thats a lovely photo of her!! it is SO nice to be able to put a face to the name, thank you for sharing it.

now you do have an address praps the Electoral roll way is the way to go? (and NO you haven't bored us to death with her either!!) :smilee:
                                          Julie

Comment

Working...
                                          X