Well blow me - shows you should go over old stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well blow me - shows you should go over old stuff

As Ive got back into my tree lately after being pretty slack about it for a year or more, Ive been looking up LMA records on ancestry which were not available 6 years back. Well, I was gobsmacked to find my GGF's marriage cert (I thought Id bought that one) mistranscribed as Hawson rather than Hanson but there it was AND the wife, Maria Taylor, who I had somehow tied in with a victualling family for over 6 years now gives a different first name for her father to the one I have AND he is a wood carver, not victualler.

I sat here mouth open as I would have staked money on having the right line for her, she has the same birth year as another Maria, born same area - may very well be related, havent checked that out yet.

But just to say, dont be complacent you have the right records, as I said, for 6 years Ive believed I had the right girl and now - back to the drawing board.

Oh Heather - those LMA records on Ancestry wiped out a line on my tree too...so easy to get misled .

I am just putting a thread to recommend checking out the Probate records on Ancestry. Only £6 to get a will and as I have found the information in them can confirm you have the right tree and throw light on some brick walls.
    Liz

Comment

Oh Heather, I am with you on that at the moment. I too am searching through the LMA records at the moment, just going over my Bradley family from Rotherhithe. Have unearthed some baptisms from the late 1770s which don't seem to tie in with what I have got so trying to work out if it's two families or I have gone wrong somewhere.
      Elaine

Comment

I couldnt believe it. I had the girls birth cert and everything but there it is, I had the wrong line and I was so enthusiastic (and a bit quicker witted) in those long off days. Im now fumbling through this wood carvers line Another pain in the bot they look like they may be, cant find deaths for two of the most important at the mo.

Comment

It's all too easy to do that sort of thing.

I did a non-payment tree for a friend of mine, and it was only when the 1911 came out that I realised I'd joined up the wrong member of the tree into her branch of teh family. What I'd done wasn't completely irrrelevant, I'd just joined her into her father's cousin's tree by mistake.

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

On the other hand, having yet another look at part of my tree, I suddenly found records on line of a burial and can now stop looking for the man - he died aged 18 months, which would explain why I could never find him!!!!

OC

Comment

I just paid for a year on ancestry - and now am going back over everyone on my tree for Probate and the Aus. Electoral Rolls.
              I also looked for my lost Elizabeth Mary - one LMA marriage (why did she get married so far from home?) gave me all the details so I could find where she went after 1855 (Melbourne Victoria it seems).

One Probate said n.o.k. was brother Christopher "in India", so that told me where to look for his family - so over to the FIBIS database which are free.
              And the Aus Electoral Rolls - up to 1980 - wow, finding family down to my generation - it certainly gets around the BDM restrictions !!

Di
              Diane
              Sydney Australia
              Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

At least Ive at last realised Camberwell records arent on the ancestry LMA.

Comment

Originally posted by Heather Positive Thinker View Post
                  That's a shame Heather, as many people from Rotherhithe and Deptford seem to have wandered over that way, it would be helpful to me too !

Di
                  Diane
                  Sydney Australia
                  Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Originally posted by Heather Positive Thinker View Post
                    There are some in all of these collections - if you want to look through the images you need to select Southwark as the borough.
                    Elaine

Comment

It certainly does pay to revisit old ground, I am slowly going through my tree adding census info, where I can find it, and then tracking the family thru the BMDs etc, its suprising just how much info you can piece together, and having a one-stop-shop certainly does help locate the info. I am still waiting to see if I can find anything else about William Brown b. 1870 london, (very helpful that!) though he is on the 1871 cens aged 6 months in Nottinghamshire, after that, well, he vanishes. Also info on his mother, Ann Larkin who I cannot find in census before 1871. (I know she married in 1865 in Paddington to the father of the children) she came from Ireland and have two names for her father from her marriage certs, (so I suspect that she was illegitimate) something will uncover itself, at sometime. (I hope).
                      Julie
                      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

the yorkshire records are helping me out tremendously. i had disregarded 300 years of research as fiction, till i got my hands on these registers and had a look myself. it was nice to confirm a family rather than to 'disnherit' them lol

i wish i could somewhere on my london lot! most definently the trickiest ones i think!

Comment

Heather

It's always worth going over what you've already done. I found a baptism that meant the 2 generations further back I thought I'd got were wrong and I had to completely change my ex's gt gt grandmother's parents and siblings.

I've also sometimes made connections through going through stuff, so its well worth looking at what you've found.
                          ~ with love from Little Nell~
                          Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I have no subscription so have been going though my tree and goggling them all found a new cousin and her family yesterday .
                            wye surrey/london/birmingham
                            lawrence/laurence berkshire/london/norfolk
                            hall harrison cook/e pratt surrey
                            ebbage maltby pratt norfolk
                            herbert pratt yorkshire/hampshire
                            armstrong/rickinson/harrison/beddington yorkshire

Comment

Thanks Elaine, but wouldnt any records on there come up during a normal search?

Comment

I've no idea if everything has been transcribed.
                                Elaine

Comment

Ill have a trawl tomorrow then - me eyes are aching tonight Its nice to get back into my tree again though.

Comment

Working...
                                  X