Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Web picture of census

Web picture of census

I wonder if anyone can help? I have found a relative who is 1 year old on the 1871 census, unfortunately I can't read the head of the household's surname, my relative's name is William Tucker Baggs born either 1869 or 1870 either born in Boro' or Southwark London and he is noted as a boarder, I wonder where his mother is as the surname of the head of the household although I can't read doesn't seem to me to read as Baggs. I'd really appreciate any help on this I'm particularly keen on finding his parents and how they might be related to the family his is boarding with in 1871.

many thanks in anticipation Ali

FindMyPast have the head of household transcribed as Lawson Scarnel Fryer. Very faint writing but that looks plausible to me.

Kirsty

Quote Originally Posted by MyAinFolk View Post
    FindMyPast have the head of household transcribed as Lawson Scarnel Fryer. Very faint writing but that looks plausible to me.

Kirsty
    Ancestry has it Lawren Searnel Frayer. I have to admit it looks like Searnel to me.

Robert
    http://www.mancunianreds.com/
    Names looking for:
    ENGLAND (Cornwall especially Padstow or St Columb Mjr and Stoke Damerel, Devonport, Devon) TRESIDDER (Cornwall) PRYNN (Cornwall) WORDEN (Cornwall)
    "Nothing great is easy" Captain Matthew Webb

Lawson Samuel Fryer - didn't look at transcription, this is my interpretation.

Seems to be a marriage for him and wife Ann Maria Q2 1851 in Bermondsey He is listed as Lawson Fryer or Lawton Fryer, she as Ann Maria Lawson or Ann Maria Lawton.

Have found this marriage on Ancestry, May 26 1851 in Christchurch, Bermondsey. His first name and her surname both look like Lawson to me. Her father Charles Lawson, carpenter; his father Christmas Fryer, farmer
    Last edited by JudithM; 11-10-11 at 19:30.

Lawson's baptism is on the FamilySearch site:
    image 30/54 (page 50, entry 400) of the Hempnall, Norfolk, parish baptism register, March 14, 1824.

I'm not sure that that middle name is any easier to read!

He's described (I think) as Lawson Scarnell, Son of Christmas & Lucey late SCARNELL, surname FRYER.

The family - or some of it - shows up in 1841 in Hempnall, but the wife is "Ann". HO107/757 bk/fo 12 p 16.

I guess that more info could be found by trawling the parish registers for Hempnall - but I don't think I should be doing that!

Chrisitne
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Thank you all for you help with the name, I'll order William Tucker's birth cert to try and find out who his mother is, he is only a baby in 1871, does anyone have an opinion on why he might have been left with the Fryer's? thanks a million again for you help, Alison

Perhaps an unmarried mum who had to earn a living so put son with foster parent? If this is the case (and of course his birth cert will tell) perhaps his middle name of Tucker was his father's surname.

you dont have a marriage for tucker?

Hi thanks to everyone for your help, I too did wondered if his mother was unmarried or had been deserted, which left me wondering if William Tucker Baggs is related to the family or not, am not sure how to find out other than order WT's birth cert.

Kylejustin William Tucker Baggs married Marion Rose Miller June 1893 Woolwich Kent. I haven't managed to find parents of either Marion or William yet.

kind regards Ali

if you had a copy of the cert, it would give father's names and occupations. that would at least help identify the families you are after.