No announcement yet.

Web picture of census

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kirsty...I have put on this site a lot more detail about Lawson Scarnell Fryer and his Norfolk roots!....Barrie Stevens

Comment

It is Lawson Scarnell Fryer of Hempnall Norfolk and he is my Great Great Grandfather...He had a son William Lawson Fryer my Great Grandfather and born in Bermondsey Workhouse 1852 died Walthamstow 1940....William Lawson Fryer had a son John Fryer died Walthamstow 1968 my Grandfather....Lawson Scarnell Fryer was the son of Christmas Fryer and Lucy Fryer nee Scarnell of Hempnall Norfolk...They married twice once in Great Yarmouth St Nicholas' in 1814 and again in St Margaret's Hempnall 1815...Lucy Fryer was daughter of yeoman farmer Lawson Scarnell of Hempnall died 1808 his will is on-line in "Norfolk Sources"...Lawson Scarnell came from Beccles but died Hempnall aged 41...I have not identified his farm...Lawson Scarnell Jnr brother in law of Christmas Fryer and uncle of Lawson Scarnell Fryer farmed Chestnut Tree Farm Road Green-Silver Green Hempnall and still there as Dye's Timber Yard..Lawson Scarnell Jnr died 1870 buried in Fritton church Norfolk...Christmas Fryer and his wife farmed until the 1860s what is now called Turkey Row Cottage Turkey Row Lundy Green....Christmas Fryer's father was William Fryer of Hempnall died there 1842 and he at one time farmed Road Green Farm still there....So all three farms are in a row and can be seen on Google Earth...I have a photo of Chestnut Tree Farm and Turkey Row Cottage now holiday lets...

Comment

I now realise that Chestnut Tree Farm Road Green Silver Green Hempnall was not the farm of Lawson Scarnell yeoman of Hempnall died there 1808...Lawson Scarnell left a will and his farm was to be sold...It was a freehold...Chestnut Tree Farm is a copyhold (leased) farm from the local manor and in 1615 was said to be 5 acres....Lawson Scarnell Jnr farmed Chestnut Tree Farm in the 1840s and 1850s but I have yet to identify the farm of Lawson Scarnell Snr...

Comment

I now confirm that Chestnut Tree Farm now "English Hardwoods sawmills" was the farm of Lawson Scarnell who died 1808 and whose will is on "Norfolk Sources" ....He had a son Lawson Scarnell Jnr who farmed the farm with his mother Sarah Scarnell as the owner...When she Sarah Scarnell nee Cox died in 1848 the farm was sold for £600...It was actually about six acres....Lawson Scarnell was my 4xGreat Grandfather....My 3xGreat Grandfather was Christmas Fryer born Hempnall 25th December 1794 died Norwich 2nd February 1874....He married Lucy Scarnell of Chestnut Tree Farm and he and Lucy Fryer nee Scarnell farmed 10 acres of land in the area known as Turkey Row just down the road from Chestnut Tree Farm...Lucy Fryer died about 1833-34 I think and later Christmas Fryer married Ann Rackham...In 1861 census they live at Low Street Wortwell, Harleston, Norfolk....Christmas and Lucy Fryer had a son Lawson Scarnell Fryer born in Hempnall 1824 died St Olave's Bermondsey 1892...He was a labourer....His son was William Lawson Fryer and his son was my Grandfather John Fryer....Christmas Fryer's father was William Fryer died Hempnall 1842 in a cottage opposite St Margaret's...It was a poor house....William Fryer had been a yeoman farmer and for a while farmed Road Green Farm set above Chestnut Tree Farm Hempnall...William Fryer's first wife was Mary Bowles...Her father Thomas Bowles died and passed the farm to her...Mary died and William Fryer married Bridget Beckett of Hmpnall and one of their children was Christmas Fryer...

Comment

Wow! You really have managed to pull it all together - well done! And thank you for sharing the outcome with us all.

Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I have photos of Lawson Scarnell Fryer and his wife Ann Maria Lawson they are my GtGt Grandparents. Photos dated about 1876..How can I send these to you?

Comment

Our family also lived in Turkey Row

Originally posted by Barrie Stevens View Post
                It is Lawson Scarnell Fryer of Hempnall Norfolk and he is my Great Great Grandfather...He had a son William Lawson Fryer my Great Grandfather and born in Bermondsey Workhouse 1852 died Walthamstow 1940....William Lawson Fryer had a son John Fryer died Walthamstow 1968 my Grandfather....Lawson Scarnell Fryer was the son of Christmas Fryer and Lucy Fryer nee Scarnell of Hempnall Norfolk...They married twice once in Great Yarmouth St Nicholas' in 1814 and again in St Margaret's Hempnall 1815...Lucy Fryer was daughter of yeoman farmer Lawson Scarnell of Hempnall died 1808 his will is on-line in "Norfolk Sources"...Lawson Scarnell came from Beccles but died Hempnall aged 41...I have not identified his farm...Lawson Scarnell Jnr brother in law of Christmas Fryer and uncle of Lawson Scarnell Fryer farmed Chestnut Tree Farm Road Green-Silver Green Hempnall and still there as Dye's Timber Yard..Lawson Scarnell Jnr died 1870 buried in Fritton church Norfolk...Christmas Fryer and his wife farmed until the 1860s what is now called Turkey Row Cottage Turkey Row Lundy Green....Christmas Fryer's father was William Fryer of Hempnall died there 1842 and he at one time farmed Road Green Farm still there....So all three farms are in a row and can be seen on Google Earth...I have a photo of Chestnut Tree Farm and Turkey Row Cottage now holiday lets...
                Hello Barrie. Appreciate this is a reply to an old forum posting but I just found it. My ancestors also lived on Turkey Row in what I believe was the same cottage. William Nash was his name and his wife Alice along with 7 children as of the 1911 census. The Nash's had many families in and around Hempnall plus farms at the Great Green and Fritton. There are a couple of Nash's on the Hempnall war memorial and the Charles Nash is the brother of my Grand Father. You mention a photo of the cottage, - can you please share it? Many thanks for any help. Paul
                Last edited by Jill on the A272; 09-01-19, 18:56. Reason: email removed

Comment

Paul, I've removed your email address in line with forum policy, but I have messaged Barrie for you.

Comment

Did you ever get that birth certificate? His mother was a Baggs as according to GRO online index William Tucker Baggs was illegitimate born 1869 D Quarter in ST SAVIOUR Volume 01D Page 18 Occasional Copy: A

Comment

Working...
                    X