Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Born 1793 in Barbados. but moved to Lancashire.. is there any way of finding a bapti

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Born 1793 in Barbados. but moved to Lancashire.. is there any way of finding a bapti

I have William Grime from 1841 until he died in 1872 but is there any way that I could find a baptism or any information prior to 1841

hi how do you know he was born in Barbados ?? the only two I could find in 1841 were born in Lancashire ?

Comment

here you go Val 1861: http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...ki1861&indiv=1
      Julie
      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

here you go Colin, have a look here

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.
        Julie
        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

hi Julie I was looking for him in 1841 ? didn't think to look further

Comment

Thank you for the help.
            I have had a look at IGI but could find nothing as early as 1793 and have tried to find any sites that may help with Barbados but without success.
            I have been informed he married on 28 April 1817 at St Peters Bolton but have not seen the cert.
            No idea when he came to the Uk or anything about him other than he was a coal miner.

Comment

No certs in 1817 but the marriage is listed on LAN-OPC. No useful information given though and there is unlikely to be more in the register - LAN-OPC usually transcribe everything in the entry.

OC

Comment

Looks like it will remain unresolved and a dead end...not even sure if he was local to Barbados or part of a family that moved or worked out there.

Comment

Almost certainly a Lancashire family that went to Barbados for some purpose - I wonder if the family were Methodists and went as missionaries? Grime/s is a very old Lancashire name.

Although many Lancashire weavers went all over the world, to British countries to teach weaving, I doubt there was much in the way of weaving in Barbados, so either the religious or the military is all I can think of.

OC

Comment

The family could have been military and on board a ship that simply stopped in Barbados for a short while and then returned to UK.

Comment

The OPC for Holy Trinity Bolton was kind enough to send me the register image when I asked. I don't recall any explicit requests, but I imagine a donation might be welcomed if you do get a copy of something like that.

It may not give you any extra info, but it's good to have the original source doc, if you can get it, just for completeness.

Christine
                      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

You've probably already done this, but have you tried searching 1851 for just Grimes, born Barbados, to possibly turn up any siblings?

OC

Comment

Hello OC,
                          It occurred to that if William Grimes came back with his parents he may have siblings born in Barbados so I did check but found none called Grimes.. I searched Lancashire without any name just the birth place Barbados.. plenty in Liverpool but also one in Little Bolton, a Margaret Winstanley.. could be her but I found a marriage for John Winstanley and Margaret Seddon so a good idea but no result

Comment

On familysearch.org there are any number of Grime births etc in Barbados so maybe there was a family connection there.

Have a look at this site http://greatships.dlhjr.com/Barbados...y_Research.pdf they seem to have the baptism registers covering the year you are looking for.
                            Margaret

Comment

Thanks for that link Margaret.. looks promising so will make enquiries

Comment

familysearch catalog had baptisms into the 1700 for barbados. I couldn't figure out if they were all indexed on familysearch

Comment

he was a coal miner in lancs, i wouldn't take it for granted that's what he always did. and it is quite possible his family had been in the carribbean for a long time. i have family that stayed in indonesia for at least 3 generations.....and i still have no clue when they went to england. the grimes family may have owned a plantation or such.

Comment

Colin

He was a spinner at marriage - are you sure you have the right man? Although a spinner could become a coal miner I'm sure, it's a bit of an odd way to go in midlife.

OC

Comment

I have not seen the marriage certificate so was unaware that it referred to him as a spinner..I have worked backwards from the known back through each census to 1841 and on each he states born in Barbados or West Indies so have taken that and the fact he was a coal miner on each census to be correct..
                                      There were however a lot of families named Grime all with similar names and were either cotton workers or coal miners.... so no, now that you mention he was a cotton worker on the marriage cert I am not sure.. it just fitted in with the birth of his children.
                                      I am in touch with another person who is more closely related to the Grime family and she has been researching this family a lot longer than Iand has a lot of more personal knowledge so will have to review
                                      Cheers
                                      Colin
                                      Last edited by colin taylor; 07-10-11, 10:13.

Comment

Colin

Can you make a judgement of his personal circumstances on the census? For example, if he is living in a nice house with umpteen servants, he might be a coal miner in the sense that he is the owner of the mine, not a worker and that might reflect inherited wealth from plantations on Barbados.

OC

Comment

Working...
                                        X