Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cassley & Allen families.

Hi everybody,
    I've been tracing my family history for several years now. My paternal ancestors came to Furness in Lancashire [now Cumbria] in the 1880's from St. Just-in-Penwith, Cornwall. They are the Cassley's/Casley's. My maternal ancestors came to Furness from Ireland. They are the Allen's. Can't trace any of them in Ireland so far. Probably not a unique case because of the destroyed registers, etc.

Welcome to the Site Allan.
    Not sure of the purpose of your Post. Is it information only or do you need help tracing ancestors ? There are some brilliant (not me) Researchers here only too willing to help so post some details and see what happens.

Comment

If you look here:
      UKBMD Local BMD Links for Births, Marriages and Deaths Indexes Online. Local BMD Indexes, Family History, Baptisms, Marriages, Burials, Monumental Inscriptions, Civil Registration, GRO Indexes, BMD, BDM, UK 1841 to 1911 censuses. Who Do You Think You Are?

you'll see that both Lancashire and Cumbria have free BMD sites. These sites often have details from early on which aren't available on the GRO index until much later, if at all.
      Cumbria County Births, Marriage and Deaths Indexes.

There may be some useful info in the FTF Reference Library, too.

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by allan1932 View Post
        Can't trace any of them in Ireland so far. Probably not a unique case because of the destroyed registers, etc.
        Do you know if they were Protestant or Catholic? It's only (some of) the Protestant registers that were destroyed, I believe; the RC ones were held by individual parish priests.

I suggest you start separate threads on this board with specific questions about who you're looking for - you definitely need a separate thread for the Irish ancestors, because the databases are quite different from the English ones.

It will be difficult to trace them unless you know the county (and preferably the townland or parish) that they came from, especially with a fairly common name like Allen.

Comment

The current batch of Ancestry freebies (until Oct 15th) includes the (Irish) Griffiths Valuations 1848-1864, which could be very useful.

There's a wodge of useful info about the database on that link (all being well). You'd have to register with Ancestry to be able to take advantage of this offer.

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by allan1932 View Post
            Hi everybody,
            I've been tracing my family history for several years now. My paternal ancestors came to Furness in Lancashire [now Cumbria] in the 1880's from St. Just-in-Penwith, Cornwall. They are the Cassley's/Casley's. My maternal ancestors came to Furness from Ireland. They are the Allen's. Can't trace any of them in Ireland so far. Probably not a unique case because of the destroyed registers, etc.
            Hi,
            Welcome to FTF. Familysearch.org has some Irish records which may be of help. Depending on when you ancestors came her you can also find some Civil Reg details for BMDs as has been said you could put up a thread for the people you want to find and we'll see what we can do.
            Margaret

Comment

Thank you everybody for your welcome & advice.

Comment

Working...
              X