Building my own family history website!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post
    Know anyone who has a collaborative tree online? Are there ways of delegating responsibility to different team members while preserving some tree branches for others?
    I haven't done it myself, but TNG will let you do this.
    Caroline
    Caroline's Family History Pages
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Thanks, Caroline. I was thinking about this after my last post, and realized there would still be a need for an arbitrator for the common ancestors that we don't agree on!

Comment

Elaine, I recently made public a tree on ancestry for one of my [probable] ancestors, and invited several ancestry members with some of the same ancestors to share the tree.

I'm now aware of two family bibles, with ancestral information. Nothing yet to confirm my link, but so exciting!

Sarah

Comment

Elaine -
          You inspired me to try out TNG, and now I'm panicking! Thought it would be a weekend project to set up the preliminary but now!

I've liked FTF's method of removing GEDCOM records for persons born after 1900 - there doesn't seem to be that feature for TNG?

I think you may have more technical help at home than you let on!

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post
            I think you may have more technical help at home than you let on!
            No just me! OH is as much use as a ............... !!!

Who do you want to hide living individuals from? I have mine set up so that if a unregistered visitor looks at the site then they cannot see living individuals.
            If someone registers on the site then when I accept their "user registration" there is an option as to whether I want to allow them to view living people.

You can of course upload a GEDCOM file with living individuals already hidden - but that means that you wont be able to see them either! As ADMIN of the site you should be able to see everything - you then select what you want users to see.

Have you found the TNG Wiki yet?

A bit like a "help" site - some useful guides there.

Anyway, have a look at the user settings (via the Administration tab on your website) - if you need any more help come back and ask ... but I am not an expert (but I know someone who is!!!!!)
            Elaine

Comment

I want my site to leave out anyone born after 1900 - just like FTF does. If I add other editors, I want to keep them from adding persons born after 1900. I guess I'll have to screen the GEDCOM file before I load it, and monitor any added editors.

Comment

When you add a user you can specify what they can do, e.g. just view, act as an editor, restrict them to certain parts of trees, allow them to download GEDCOMS etc. - all accessed via the USER section when you are in ADMINISTRATION VIEW.
                There is also a box where you can select whether or not they can view living indviduals - why not deselect that if you don't want them to see living persons?
                Elaine

Comment

I just don't want living persons on the site? It saves a lot of headaches

Comment

Fair enough! Probably your best bet in that case is to hide living individuals before creating your GEDCOM.
                    Elaine

Comment

Really impressive website you have built Elaine, something for us all to aspire to, like most people time is my biggest stumbling block, but maybe one day soon! I shall pop back and see how you progress with it on a regular basis.
                      My Family History Blog Site:

https://chiddicksfamilytree.com

Comment

Thanks Paul, but I really can't take the credit for doing much! It's an impressive piece of software that does it all for you.
                        My job now is to start adding the bits which makes a family tree more interesting - stories, pictures etc.
                        Elaine

Comment

Well done Elaine.

Im useless at this sort of thing, what a shame FTM stopped giving the provision for a website - it was so useful.

Comment

Working...
                          X