HALES Family Bible looking for home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HALES Family Bible looking for home

After reading about Grandpa T's success finding a home for the bible he had, I thought I'd try for the same success with a bible I rescued. It's a large bible, not sure how old, but it has a few names written in as follows:

Frederick Leo Hales b 5 Aug 1857 married 15 June 1881 to Elizabeth Mary Norman Hales b 15 July 1859 at Hordle Church nr Lymington Hants.

Children:
    Leo George William Hales b 15 June 1882 d 1949 married Edith Elizabeth Goodall (b29 Jan 1881 d 1952) in 1903.
    Leo Charles William Hales b 9 Oct 1906 d 3 Mar 1919
    Edith Mary (Molly) Hales b 24 Apr 1904
    Eric Leo Hales b 15 Apr 1912

fingers crossed it can find it's way home to a descendent.

There is a tree on Ancestry with Leo George William Hales and Edith Elizabeth Goodall on it.

Not sure of the connection to the owner though.

http://trees.ancestry.co.uk/tree/19422054/person/18019888288?ssrc=

Last edited by WendyPusey; 29-09-11, 18:35.
    Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Welcome to FTF.
      If you are a subscriber to ancestry you could contact the person whose tree the names appear in , if not I could do it for you.
      Margaret

Comment

Thanks Folks
        I am on ancestry so will look up that link and contact them. I did contact some with Hales in their tree when I first aquired the bible but got no response. But you have found the actual names so thanks for that.

It was left with me to pass on to the local church when a lady died and her family cleared her house. The church said they often get these old family bibles 'donated' but they are put in storage and no one ever knows about them. I asked if I could try and find any of the family who might like and treasure it and they readily agreed as they dont have much storage space. I wonder how many churches have hidden treasures stored like this that families will never know about?

I am very impressed with this site and am really chuffed to find it on a random surf looking for ancestors! Thanks again.

Corinne

Comment

Welcome to FTF, Corinne! Good to know that you already feel welcome here.

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Maybe we could start an abandoned bible section, and encourage people to bring the info to us!

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post
              Maybe we could start an abandoned bible section, and encourage people to bring the info to us!
              Great idea! people would possibly 'google' to see how to go about returning a bible to its rightful owners and here would be a good place to come.
              Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
                Great idea! people would possibly 'google' to see how to go about returning a bible to its rightful owners and here would be a good place to come.
                Margaret
                It is a really good idea but would have to be worded as such, another website with this thread has too many requests looking for Bibles in their family names and it can easily get swamped with requests.

Edna

Comment

I was thinking we could title it 'Family bibles for returning to descendants' or something like rather than for people to ask if there is a bible anywhere which they are looking for.

Margaret

Comment

Great idea - Family bibles reunited with their descendants.
                    herky
                    Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Originally posted by herky View Post
                      Not just Genes Reunited - Bibles Reunited LOL

Comment

Originally posted by herky View Post
                        Watch this space! ;)
                        Elaine

Comment

Thanks for the excellent suggestion.
                          The thread is now in its new location - let's hope we see many more similar ones.
                          Elaine

Comment

Love it.

Comment

Good news - the ancestry member with the HALES ancestors noted in the bible, have replied to my message and hope to meet up soon to hand it over.... I do like a happy ending. Thanks FTF
                              Corinne

Comment

oh what a wonderful ending!! do keep us posted as to when it goes 'home' Corinne :smilee:
                                Julie
                                They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Originally posted by EssexCorinne View Post
                                  Good news - the ancestry member with the HALES ancestors noted in the bible, have replied to my message and hope to meet up soon to hand it over.... I do like a happy ending. Thanks FTF
                                  Corinne

Great outcome - well done
                                  herky
                                  Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Great news! Well done!

Christine
                                    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

HALES bible is not going home after all! The folks I was going to give it to decided that the Hales and Goodall's were not closely enough connected to them so it would be better to find someone who is a closer relative. So, sadly, it's still looking for a home.

Corinne

Comment

Foiled! But you have to respect their basis of decision. Very ungreedy.

Christine

Comment

Working...
                                        X