Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I build a family tree?

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum, and I never done a family tree before.

What would be my first step to research family trees, and get family history? Would this project be free, or how much would it cost? Could I do it from my PC, or do I need to go to a library, and research manually? Are there any such ways to research everything by automatic, or there is no such way?

Thank you for any replies,

Hello, welcome to FTF!

Have a read of the helpful information at the top of this page about starting out. The GOLDEN RULES are
    1. start with yourself and work backwards one step at a time
    2. ask living relatives about the family before it might be too late
    3. don't jump to conclusions or you might end up following the wrong family
    4. have fun and expect to get totally addicted!!

Anne

Comment

Have a look here

http://www.familytreeforum.com/conte...etting-Started

there are lots of useful tips and information.

researching Matchett, McFarland, Dick, Ewing, Koehler or Kohler, Nairn and Young.

Raven's Wiki Page
      Raven's Family Tree

Comment

Welcome to the forum.
        The place to start is with yourself and work your way backwards to your parents, grandparents etc - confirming details as you go with birth/marriage/death certificates.
        If you click on Starting out on your Research at the top of the page it will take you to a general guide in our reference library. Most of the links given on that particular page refer to UK research, which may or may not be applicable to you. However, there are many other sections of the reference library which relate to world wide research.

We could recommend websites which you could use but until we know which country your research is centred around it's difficult to advise.

So, what do you know already, e.g. your parents' names, grandparents' names, approximate years and places of birth, which country are you researching, etc.

At some point you will also need to decide how to record your information - have a look at our Genealogy Software guide which should give you a few ideas.
        Elaine

Comment

Hi,

My family doesn't get along with me for some reason.

1. At the top of the page, does it tell me where do I start?

2. Are there any other ways besides asking relative? They won't tell me the truth.

Comment

I know my parents names, and my grandmother name. That's all I know. My parents passed when I was a little boy. My uncles won't me any. I talk to him every weekend, even though he won't tell me anything. I live in the USA. I live in Pennsylvania, but was born, and from 8 years after birth in New Jersey.

Comment

I was looking at that link, but I don't know what I'm looking for.

Originally posted by Raven View Post
              Have a look here

http://www.familytreeforum.com/conte...etting-Started

there are lots of useful tips and information.

Comment

The link explains the process of starting your family tree - writing down what you already know and confirming details by obtaining certificates.
                It doesn't matter that you are in the USA - the process is still the same.

You say your parents are both deceased - do you have any certificates for them - birth/marriage/death - if not do you know who has them - could you get copies.
                The same applies for grandparents.
                Elaine

Comment

I know I don't have any records. My Uncle that I talk is claiming that he doesn't have anything, and he doesn't know where to find it. He won't help me get started.

I don't know who has these records, or even where to get them. I'm sorry about that. I was an orphan when I went away from my family. I really want to do this.

Comment

I will admit I have not had much experience of research in the USA - but let's get started and hopefully some of the other members may be able to help.
                    First, I should point out that we do not allow you to post any details of living persons - but if your parents are deceased then let's start off with what you know about them.
                    Their names - date or year of birth - place of birth - date/place of marriage etc.
                    If you know anything about your grandparents then give us that information as well, providing they are no longer living.
                    Elaine

Comment

Thank you. I don't know their marriage.

Robert Santamassino (my father), birth September 6th 1941. He passed away in 1987.

Diane Perritt (Perritt was her maiden name). I'm not really sure when was she born. I know she passed away in 1990.

Margret Perritt (grandmother), I'm not even sure of her history. I know she was deceased as of 12/5/96.

Comment

Presumably all USA - any idea of the state?
                        Elaine

Comment

.. and a question I should have mentioned at the outset - do you have a copy of your own birth certificate which confirms the names of your parents?

Also, before you start, have you considered why your uncle is reluctant to give you any information.
                          You have to realise that not everything you turn up is what you might hope for.
                          Elaine

Comment

Using the FamilySearch website you can confirm their dates of birth and dates of death
                            Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

Source: US Social Security Death Index
                            Elaine

Comment

Us Social Security Index confirms the birth date of Robert's in 1941 and death in Kearny, Hudson, New Jersey, Oct 1987

Hi to php11
                              herky
                              Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

New Jersey for the state.

Diane Perritt for maiden name, and Diane Santamassino for married. My father name is Robert.

I'm not really sure why. When we do start, will this give accurate information, or how does it work?

Comment

Can you confirm that your parents were born and married in New Jersey?
                                  Elaine

Comment

Death on index has Diane's birth date as 18 Nov 1947. She died 19 Aug 1990 in New Jersey
                                    herky
                                    Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

How can I confirm that?

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                                      Can you confirm that your parents were born and married in New Jersey?

Comment

I was hoping you knew!!

Where were you born?
                                        Elaine

Comment

Working...
                                        X