No announcement yet.

How do I build a family tree?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't access that site, because I'm not a subscribed member. I don't have a credit card.

Comment

Originally posted by Raven View Post
      There is a family of Santamassino's in New Haven Connecticut.

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...c=&pid=6646054

Who are noted as Italian
      Yes I noticed that and thought there may be an Italian connection.
      Please ignore my ramblings re the post on the step daughter - sometimes I get carried away - in fact maybe I should be carried away.
      However - on a serious note, it is only by looking outside the box that sometimes we break down brick walls.
      herky
      Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

this is true herky....

researching Matchett, McFarland, Dick, Ewing, Koehler or Kohler, Nairn and Young.

Raven's Wiki Page
        Raven's Family Tree

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
          I think you are going to have trouble getting any further without some certificates - and if the US death certificates contain either place of birth or parent's names then those are the first you need.
          Originally posted by php111 View Post
          I can't access that site, because I'm not a subscribed member. I don't have a credit card.
          Not sure if you are referring to my post.
          The certificates can be obtained from the New Jersey Archives - http://www.state.nj.us/health/vital/gen.shtml

You will need to check with them how payment can be made. There is no other way of obtaining the death certificate information.

I am sure Herky and Raven will agree, they are finding information which may or may not fit in at a later date - but first you need to confirm places of birth of your parents as well as the names of their parents.
          Elaine

Comment

I am sure Herky and Raven will agree, they are finding information which may or may not fit in at a later date - but first you need to confirm places of birth of your parents as well as the names of their parents.
            I agree wholeheartedly with Elaine. until you can substantiate the information with certificates, searching at this stage is waste of time of really cos we dont know what is relevant.

researching Matchett, McFarland, Dick, Ewing, Koehler or Kohler, Nairn and Young.

Raven's Wiki Page
            Raven's Family Tree

Comment

I agree totally - one step at a time with confirmation with certificates. Without proof you could be attaching anyone to your tree.
              Although it costs some money, there is no way to do a tree properly without some expenditure. if you get it wrong in the early stages then it will cost you more in the end.
              Once you have confirmed your parents and the possible Scottish connection then I am very happy to help you.
              At least the name is not Mackay - I have this name on 2 direct lines and it is a nightmare!
              Good luck!
              herky
              Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Originally posted by Raven View Post
                I agree wholeheartedly with Elaine. until you can substantiate the information with certificates, searching at this stage is waste of time of really cos we dont know what is relevant.
                I'll see what information I can get from my Uncle. He is mothers brother. However, he most likely won't have information on my father. I guess I could try to take his word. What about my father side? What are the exact questions that I should ask my Uncle? I'll email him when I receive a reply back.

Comment

If your uncle is your mother's full brother then his birth certificate should have information on your grandparents.
                  herky

Comment

Originally posted by herky View Post
                    If your uncle is your mother's full brother then his birth certificate should have information on your grandparents.
                    Alright, so I need the information for both of my grandparents, and both of my parents, or just one or the other? I'm confused on what information I should ask for.

Comment

Alright, so I need the information for both of my grandparents, and both of my parents, or just one or the other? I'm confused on what information I should ask for.
                      You need as much information as you can glean from your uncle. ie names, dates and places of birth, marriage dates, places they lived etc. for both your parents and grandparents. Unless you can find these things out you wont get much further than you have already...

Raven's Wiki Page
                      Raven's Family Tree

Comment

I know this is purely speculative - but there is only one family called Perritt from Scotland in the 1910 US census and they are living in New Jersey - I will shoebox it until we know what has been established as fact.
                        herky

Comment

There is a tree on ancestry titled Santamassino Tree - no Robert listed but the names shown are all born in New Jersey so possibly related.
                          Margaret

Comment

Death on index has Diane's birth date as 18 Nov 1947. She died 19 Aug 1990 in New Jersey
                            Addresses for Diane - birthdate given as Herky's post above.
                            D M Santamassino
                            18 Nov 1947
                            315 Hickory St, Kearny, NJ, 07032-3534 (1990)
                            [317 Hickory St, Kearny, NJ, 07032-3534 (1976)]
                            Last edited by Katarzyna; 23-09-11, 16:22.
                            Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

So does that mean that Diane had a middle name starting with M?
                              herky

Comment

So does that mean that Diane had a middle name starting with M?
                                Yes, Diane Margaret Santamassino

I forgot to tell everyone about that part.

Comment

I have also been looking at a Scottish Perrit(t) family who sailed to US, I think 1892, and settle in New Jersey.
                                  Holding back until we get more details from php111.
                                  herky

Comment

Yes, Diane Margaret Santamassino

I forgot to tell everyone about that part.
                                    Right - thanks for that.
                                    herky

Comment

Thank you. I don't know their marriage.

Robert Santamassino (my father), birth September 6th 1941. He passed away in 1987.

Diane Perritt (Perritt was her maiden name). I'm not really sure when was she born. I know she passed away in 1990.

Margret Perritt (grandmother), I'm not even sure of her history. I know she was deceased as of 12/5/96.

This looks like grandmother Margaret

Margaret Perritt
                                      136-01-3060
                                      07032 Kearny, Hudson, New Jersey, United States of America
                                      15 Sep 1913 born
                                      5 Dec 1996 died
                                      New Jersey (Before 1951) SSN issued
                                      Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Oh - well done - where does this come from? is it ancestry?
                                        Just curious!
                                        herky

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
                                          Hello, welcome to FTF!

Have a read of the helpful information at the top of this page about starting out. The GOLDEN RULES are
                                          1. start with yourself and work backwards one step at a time
                                          2. ask living relatives about the family before it might be too late
                                          3. don't jump to conclusions or you might end up following the wrong family
                                          4. have fun and expect to get totally addicted!!

Anne
                                          It is too late Ann, I have only been doing mine for the last month or so, and if I don't do something at least once a day, I go cold turkey...
                                          http://www.mancunianreds.com/
                                          Names looking for:
                                          ENGLAND (Cornwall especially Padstow or St Columb Mjr and Stoke Damerel, Devonport, Devon) TRESIDDER (Cornwall) PRYNN (Cornwall) WORDEN (Cornwall)
                                          "Nothing great is easy" Captain Matthew Webb

Comment

Working...
                                          X