How do I build a family tree?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi again,

All I would need to trace a family tree would be my parents mother and father (my grandparents)? And would using Legacy as the software would work?

Comment

• Yes, Legacy is one of several family tree programs, which all work in a similar way.

The rule for building a tree is very simple. Start with yourself, add your parents, to each parent add their parents (your grandparents) etc. You can add sisters and brothers to each generation as and when you feel like it.

Good luck!
      Anne

Comment

• What if I don't know my grandparents parents?

Comment

• That's where you need to start searching for clues! Unfortunately quite a lot of us on here are in the UK and not so familiar with the USA. There are some members from the States though and I'm sure they will be able to suggest the best places to search.
          Anne

Comment

• Originally posted by php111 View Post
            What if I don't know my grandparents parents?
            Derek, if you know your grandparents names, we can hopefully track them through the USA census, which will also [hopefully] give you some other names such as aunts/uncles/cousins etc..

If I remember rightly your grandparents names were Rocco & Margaret.. you don't need to start a new tree, [not unless you have found a better program than Tribal pages that Margaretmarch set you up and added info to that tree for you.] you can just add more to it.
            Julie
            They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

• No, I like what Margaret March did for me. It was very nice of her

How could I edit on Tribal pages because my father mother is unknown and my mother's mother maiden name is unknown? And after editing, how could I add more and trace them like Margaret did?
              Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
              Derek, if you know your grandparents names, we can hopefully track them through the USA census, which will also [hopefully] give you some other names such as aunts/uncles/cousins etc..

If I remember rightly your grandparents names were Rocco & Margaret.. you don't need to start a new tree, [not unless you have found a better program than Tribal pages that Margaretmarch set you up and added info to that tree for you.] you can just add more to it.

Comment

• Never mind about my last reply. I won't be able to edit and trace them. Margaret is away for a few weeks. She has to do this. My email is a member email. I'm not the owner/administrator so I will not be able to make those changes. But I could try and maybe contact her through Tribal pages and she could edit when she returns. I received a PM from her the other day on this forum and she wrote me she will be away for a few weeks so she can't help me.

Comment

• Hi, I'm back and am trying to figure out how to retrieve the information from Tribal Pages so that you can put it on Legacy.

Do you have a subscription to ancestry or any other research site? You will need one to progress your tree - if it was ancestry you could start a tree and give me access as editor and I could add what was found on the tribal pages tree.

I need to point out that it wasn't just me who did the tree, several of the members on here contributed a lot of the information, all I did was start it off!

Margaret

Comment

• Thought I'd see if this attachment works as it is a report of the family tree from Tribalpages - I don't have a sub for the site so can't download a gedcom file

The Santamassino Family - Family Tree.pdf

There are some images attached to the tree which are extracts for marriages etc found on the Scotlandspeople website - not sure who submitted them now.

Margaret
                    Last edited by margaretmarch; 10-05-14, 18:50.

Comment

• Hi, I am sorry but I don't know how to do that. :(

Comment

• Originally posted by php111 View Post
                        Hi, I am sorry but I don't know how to do that. :(
                        Just click on the words in blue that end with .pdf and you should then be able to download the file to your computer, when you've done that you can click it open to see the report which starts with you and gives your parents, grandparents and so on. You can print that off and then copy the details into your own software.

Margaret

Comment

• Thank you!

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
                          Just click on the words in blue that end with .pdf and you should then be able to download the file to your computer, when you've done that you can click it open to see the report which starts with you and gives your parents, grandparents and so on. You can print that off and then copy the details into your own software.

Margaret

Comment

Working...
                          X